TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: drz400....im at my wits end
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:22 pm 
300 cc

I'd like to know a proper description and of the fault. If the bike starts from cold ok and rides ok and behaves as expected all the time is it only when you start it when you drop it or when you park it hot?

When did you notice the problem, before stator problem after?

When it's running what's the tickover like?

Is it only if you try to restart it immediately after stopping it that it plays up. If you leave it for say 15 mins or half an hour does it start ok?

What is your hot start procedure? Full throttle no throttle pump the throttle? In gear or in neutral?

You say the starter stalls? What do you mean? Gets to tdc and struggles to go over, cranks slowly like a flat battery? Any noises from starter gear when starting?

What's the exact model. I seem to recall S model had some evaporated fuel control piping.

Do you stop it on the kill switch or the key? Does the kill switch pop out ok when pressed to switch it back on. (Kill switch full of mud and not releasing properly may open the starter circuit but still be killing the spark!)

Does it restart easier hot with the choke on? (If it does then that's either air leak or incorrect jetting.)

Does it restart with the throttle wide open.

What does the plug look like? Lean (white) rich (black) oily, fuelly. Is it the correct plug make and grade?

How easy does it bump start when it plays up? Straight away or a lot of distance? (This will rule out the starter if it takes ages to bump) if it fires straight up you may have a dud starter, unlikely as thing like this are under more load with a cold engine.

If a bike won't start/run it's fuel, spark, compression, valve timing and clearances. In that order. You can possibly rule things out on the basis it starts from cold and runs fine.
So I'd rule out spark and compression and anything to do with the starter. That leaves you valve timing clearance or fuel.
You say valves have been done and checked so check the cams are timed up right.
While you do that check and clean the carb carb and check for air leaks and split rubbers and pipes in the breathers and evap canister.

My money is on a split hose or rubber somewhere or split diaphragm in the carb or wildly out jetting. If as you say it starts and runs fine at all other times and starts immediately from cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:28 pm 
650 cc Monster

Do they have a Sprag clutch ?...they are a 'servicable' part....never had one struggling as they Normaly just spin without engaging...but maybe the spring has become lodged in the 'fingers'(ratchets)...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:10 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Just wondering if you have been able to sort out your naughty motorcycle yet :shock:

Have you, as suggested by Chris, changed the engine oil and checked for petrol dilution from a leaking petrol tap :?:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:04 am 
125cc

Joel wrote:
Do they have a Sprag clutch ?...they are a 'servicable' part....never had one struggling as they Normaly just spin without engaging...but maybe the spring has become lodged in the 'fingers'(ratchets)...

Remember me struggling on that last ride on Chapel gate?
That was my sprag clutch that was working intermittently. Later failed completely and was replaced. (Husqvarna TE250)
Yes I know poor workman blaming his tools :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:51 pm 
125cc

Bill_Mc wrote:
Is the ignition trigger on the same generator flywheel. maybe it was knocked during failure or repair if the timing is too far advanced the starter could struggle. Perhaps put a timing strobe on and check timing when running. Just a thought if it was OK prior to failure

hi if this was the issue surely it would do it cold or hot?

thank you all for responses. I will try and go through them and get back to you.

I have changed the starter motor and it still does the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:59 pm 
125cc

smokinrider wrote:
I'd like to know a proper description and of the fault. If the bike starts from cold ok and rides ok and behaves as expected all the time is it only when you start it when you drop it or when you park it hot?

When did you notice the problem, before stator problem after? t
the problem started after stator bolts came loose

When it's running what's the tickover like? tick over is absolutely fine

Is it only if you try to restart it immediately after stopping it that it plays up. If you leave it for say 15 mins or half an hour does it start ok? if I was to leave it 30 mins to cool down it starts fine

What is your hot start procedure? Full throttle no throttle pump the throttle? In gear or in neutral? neutral with no throttle....will not start it...if I give it 4-5 pumps it will eventually fire up

You say the starter stalls? What do you mean? Gets to tdc and struggles to go over, cranks slowly like a flat battery? Any noises from starter gear when starting? it cranks like a dead battery. no weird noises just seems to....stop the motor.

What's the exact model. I seem to recall S model had some evaporated fuel control piping. E model

Do you stop it on the kill switch or the key? Does the kill switch pop out ok when pressed to switch it back on. (Kill switch full of mud and not releasing properly may open the starter circuit but still be killing the spark!) use key to kill engine

Does it restart easier hot with the choke on? (If it does then that's either air leak or incorrect jetting.) yes it seems to start easier with choke when hot...but I cant understand how that effects the starter from turning at full pace

Does it restart with the throttle wide open. pumping throttle works

What does the plug look like? Lean (white) rich (black) oily, fuelly. Is it the correct plug make and grade? new plug correct make and grade light brown colour on tip

How easy does it bump start when it plays up? Straight away or a lot of distance? (This will rule out the starter if it takes ages to bump) if it fires straight up you may have a dud starter, unlikely as thing like this are under more load with a cold engine. haven't tried to bump it......never considered it

If a bike won't start/run it's fuel, spark, compression, valve timing and clearances. In that order. You can possibly rule things out on the basis it starts from cold and runs fine.
So I'd rule out spark and compression and anything to do with the starter. That leaves you valve timing clearance or fuel.
You say valves have been done and checked so check the cams are timed up right.
While you do that check and clean the carb carb and check for air leaks and split rubbers and pipes in the breathers and evap canister.

My money is on a split hose or rubber somewhere or split diaphragm in the carb or wildly out jetting. If as you say it starts and runs fine at all other times and starts immediately from cold.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:01 pm 
300 cc

so when hot its like it has a flat battery, whiiiiirrrrr thump whiiirrrr thump. but when cold its like wadadadadada wadadadadada.

How often do you charge the battery? Do you need to? How old is the battery?

What I'm thinking is that following on from your stator issue, maybe the battery is getting hot, or overcharged or fried in some way. leaving it to cool allows it to recover.

That said, what you say about using the choke and or pumping the throttle tends to suggest a pilot jet/carb issue.

If I were you id give it to someone who knows a thing or two about bikes and isn't going to rip you off! Id also stop taking advise from forums as this will never solve any issues. and stop just replacing items until you know what the actual problem is.

As I said in Dorset forum pm me a number.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:24 pm 
50 cc

Definitely agree with smokinrider you have 2no issues, 1 blocked idle jet or circuit. 2 bad battery or a bad cable connections or a bad cable. hope this helps

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:13 pm 
80 cc

This maybe some help, i had a Husqvarna TE 450 which did the same thing, i went through everything as you have.
In the end i found the camshafts were a 180 degrees out, and yes she did still run. so it may be worth checking the cam timing marks. Hope this helps some what.

Post subject: drz400....im at my wits end
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:37 pm 
300 cc

Who told you that Oneal? And how much did they charge?

If your cams are both 180 degrees out then they're perfectly timed!

The piston will be at TDC again in another 360 degrees of the crank and that will move the cams along another 180 degrees making the marks line up!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next