TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: drz400....im at my wits end
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:12 pm 
125cc

please bare with me as its a long story.

i have a drz400e 2004 model. 

i had no problems with it until the stator bolts came loose and ripped the generator apart.

i replaced the generator and it runs fine.

but its a complete bitch to start from hot.

i have had a new cam chain fitted , valves re-seated and re shimmed to tolerances.

carb reset to standard settings.

the starter motor has had new brushes and ive fitted a lithium ion battery.

still has following symptoms.

will start from dead cold on choke straight away.

runs fine once running.

once you stop the engine and try to restart it it becomes very difficult.

it seems to struggle to turn over when hot.....the starter motor seems to stall.

it will eventually fire up after a lot of cranking and handfuls of throttle.

I'm at the end of my tether with it.

my mechanical knowledge is running out....I cannot figure out why it turns over fine when cold but as soon as there is any heat in it it becomes awkward to start.

the only thing I haven't replaced is the ignition coil...but I fail to see how that would cause the symptoms.

its as if the starter motor is fighting compression so I'm thinking the auto decompressor is failing to decompress.

buying a new exhaust cam is  a pricey thing to do if its not the problem.

thankyou in advance for any help you can give
 Dan

Post subject: Re: drz400....im at my wits end
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:04 pm 
300 cc

Clean the carb and jet it correctly.

Does it start from cold with no choke. If so lean off pilot jet.

From what your describing it could be 101 things from incorrect jetting to tight valves. Sounds like you've spent a lot of money chasing the problem already. What's the compression like? What does it run like when it runs? My money is on jetting followed by valve clearances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:39 pm 
125cc

hi

it has had valves re seated and re shimmed and are in tolerance...checked it multiple times

it needs choke to start from cold...and runs fine when running

I will get a compression reading from it and see what that comes up as.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:44 pm 
650 cc Monster

Make sure the 'baffle plate' on the carb slide is the right way up....apparently they can be put in upside down and that's a no no...assuming you have had the carb apart of course.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:10 am 
80 cc

A common problem is the tank petcock and needle in carb leaking fuel into crankcase. When the fuel evaporates into the airbox it messes with the mixture. Easy to check by smelling/ changing the oil. Has there been any fuel leaks from the carb overflow? It could be starving of fuel too if the petcock has failed. When it stalls, check there is fuel in the carb.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:01 pm 
125cc

chrisinflight wrote:
A common problem is the tank petcock and needle in carb leaking fuel into crankcase. When the fuel evaporates into the airbox it messes with the mixture. Easy to check by smelling/ changing the oil. Has there been any fuel leaks from the carb overflow? It could be starving of fuel too if the petcock has failed. When it stalls, check there is fuel in the carb.

hi

the bike doesn't stall when its running. the starter motor stalls when trying to turn it over from hot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:57 pm 
80 cc

First question to ask and understand is whether the bike exhibited any of these hot starting problems before you had the generator problem and did the work.

If it didn't then it is either the work that has been done on the bike to repair it, assume nothing and re-check each element one at a time.

Did you do the repairs with new or recon parts. Were the parts all checked and within manufacturers tolerance? I had a very different bike (Honda CBR1000FL) wouldn't start on a hot engine and cranked battery flat finally traced to a bent spacing washer behind the sprag clutch. £1 for the part and £700 to change it.

Or the damage may have caused collateral damage to something else?

If it did, then once you've traced the two steps above with no joy then return to the Forum and folks will list the various things to check for (such as is the plug coming out wet and smelling of fuel when you try to start on a hot engine).

Also I'm sure folks will talk at length about electrical components breaking down under heat or load.

But step 1. Did you have this problem before the generator damage?

StuartM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:36 pm 
300 cc

Is the ignition trigger on the same generator flywheel. maybe it was knocked during failure or repair if the timing is too far advanced the starter could struggle. Perhaps put a timing strobe on and check timing when running. Just a thought if it was OK prior to failure

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:53 pm 
650 cc Monster

Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
Bill_Mc wrote:
Is the ignition trigger on the same generator flywheel. maybe it was knocked during failure or repair if the timing is too far advanced the starter could struggle. Perhaps put a timing strobe on and check timing when running. Just a thought if it was OK prior to failure

I had this problem many moons ago, this was the problem!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:34 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

There have been a few ideas posted up here but one thing that has been bugging in the back of my mind is did you inspect the magnets in the flywheel when you replaced the stator?

I vaguely recall that the epoxy resin which holds the magnets to the inside of flywheel was a problem at one stage and they were known to 'slip' when the engine got hot.

Might be worth checking if you are no further in sorting the problem. Let us know what you find and if you need any extra help or suggestions.

TTFN

Hugh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next