TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Smokinrider's technical and mechanical tips
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:54 am 
125cc

Couple of other points. 1: While the bearings are out why not fit a grease nipple to the headstock at the same time. (You will need to remove the upper seal on some bearings to make this effective).
2: Worn bearing housings. If Loctite doesn't work because there is too much wear it is possible to electroplate the bearings to defined thickness (electroless nickel plating) I've also done it more crudely with a home nickel plating kit. It's a bit of a faff masking up the bearing but if you have a rare or unobtainable part it is a lasting solution that saves scrapping something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:52 pm 
650 cc Monster

Vern wrote:
Couple of other points. 1: While the bearings are out why not fit a grease nipple to the headstock at the same time. (You will need to remove the upper seal on some bearings to make this effective).
2: Worn bearing housings. If Loctite doesn't work because there is too much wear it is possible to electroplate the bearings to defined thickness (electroless nickel plating) I've also done it more crudely with a home nickel plating kit. It's a bit of a faff masking up the bearing but if you have a rare or unobtainable part it is a lasting solution that saves scrapping something.

Now that is a 'proper manly' job....good call !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:28 am 
80 cc

:D Nice to see some good advice .... and photos ..my add to list of tools in bum bag is jump leads. Halfords do some nice Motorcycle jump leads . lot of bikes no longer have Kickstarts fitted , jump leads have got me out of a jam several times ...

Post subject: Smokinrider's technical and mechanical tips
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:37 pm 
300 cc

OK its been a while but in preparation for this weekends Swindonian and the Welsh next week I decided to look at getting the Estart on the husky going again.

History:The original starter had started loosing performance and wouldn't start the bike, it then packed up all together so a new one was sourced from ebab. The replacement worked fine for 9 mths and over the last 2 months its got worse and packed up all together about 3 weeks back.

So, new starter is £160 online. hmm bit dearer than the £89 the last one cost, so I decided to recon the ones I have.

I stripped the "replacement" one down and all the needles fell out of the bearing that the shaft runs in. it smelt burnt and the brushes looked like toast. I pressed out the remains of the needle bearing and got a replacement for £2.99. actually I got 3 just in case it all went bad. (use loads of heat, don't be shy, and freeze the new bearing prior to fitting, and again use loads of hear on the ally bit)

The shaft was cleaned up with some emery cloth and everything else was cleaned with contact cleaner. The commutator was cleaned up with some glass paper (don't use any thing but glass paper for this or you'll wreck it with the metallic bits some other "sand papers"/emery cloths contain, and never use wire wool.) it was re assembled and tested and it spun.

I put it on the bike and it barely managed to crank it over. Bugger!

Oh well, on to the original husky motor, already stripped 10 months ago and boxed up when new "replacement" starter arrived.

This one was a lot cleaner but again the shaft bearings needles were seized in their cage. these were pressed out and swapped for one of the new bearings (glad I got 3, now I still have a spare) Everything was cleaned and the brushes looked very worn, and had too much resistance that the springs couldn't really overcome.

Fortunately I'd bought new brushes last year when this starter originally started failing.
Now to swap the negative brush its a simple screw. to do the one attached to the main cable, its soldered. With the solder melted it pulls off like a spade connector and the new one clips on. a bit of heat and a blob of new solder and were ready to reassemble.

springs were carefully paced in their holders and the brushes held in place with the tips of my finger nails as I coaxed the shaft in between them and located it in its bush. (that sounds so wrong) the barrel containing the magnets slid over the windings and the reconditioned bearing in the end cap slid over. 2 tiny but long screws later and all Sorted, it was 10.30pm by now.

Quick swap over on to the bike without testing, as Id resigned myself to the fact that if it didn't work it was staying on there, regardless.

once connected up I barely had time to press the button and the bike was running. Just like the day it first arrived from the husky dealer.

today I went into the garage and had another stab. Literally in the time it took my brain to move my thumb and register that the button had made its contact the engine was going.

So all ktm and pre 2017 husky owner take note. A few mins every now and again to strip and clean the starter motor will prevent the seizing of the shaft bearings and cleaning the brush dust out will hopefully keep your starter motor fresh and in good order.

Obviously I haven't covered the crappy Bendix and reduction gear bushes. which are the other 2 causes of issues with the starting system on ktms and huskys. that's another days tale.

If all you get is a click when you push the button, then get some genuine brushes and a HK1212 bearing and spend an hour in the garage.

https://youtu.be/lk_ESfG0q0w

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:35 pm 
300 cc

Following this weekends outing with the Sussex TRF (which was a bit wet) its time to swap the air filter as it was a tad grubby.

Quick video on how I clean them.

https://youtu.be/yS9QshL9Pf4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:23 pm 
650 cc Monster

smokinrider wrote:
Following this weekends outing with the Sussex TRF (which was a bit wet) its time to swap the air filter as it was a tad grubby.

Quick video on how I clean them.

https://youtu.be/yS9QshL9Pf4

Or change my whole bike in my case. :( :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 pm 
650 cc Monster

Just use the No Toil stuff, it's environmentally friendly and washes out with water and oxyclean....filters come up like new.Used it for years now...no bad news.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:42 am 
300 cc

Never tried it but hear it's good and washing machine/wife friendly!

I just hate the soak and squeeze filter oils and like the ease of the spray on stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3