TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: My 'new' 690 Enduro
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:02 am 
650 cc Monster

I haven't got much of a clue Wozza.
It seems there might have been a reliability issue with pre 13 or 14 bikes but I wouldn't want to slag them off without knowing if it was right.
14 on has ABS but I don't know if that helps or not. It did work on the back wheel on a loose gravel track the other day.

I tend to go for the best I can afford that is available and probably (hopefully) just got lucky.

Plenty of people on ABR have done long distances on them although you would need a better seat.
It's ok for, say, up to 100 miles but it's is still a bit enduro firm. The seat on mine is alos like polished glass so ludicrously slippery, especially with new enduro trousers. Shiny to shiny means hurtling up towards the the 'bars when braking. :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:46 pm 
400 cc

Wozza wrote:
I'm really tempted to get one of these with the rally kit as a capable all-rounder. What are the main pros/cons between the older R and the newer R?

Explained here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTM_690_Enduro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:54 pm 
200 cc

I read the wiki page but it's not that detailed and personal opinions are always useful. David do you find that you could do with the extra suspension travel of the previous version, or is it fine? Does the true 690 engine have more power than the previous 654?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:54 pm 
650 cc Monster

Wozza wrote:
I read the wiki page but it's not that detailed and personal opinions are always useful. David do you find that you could do with the extra suspension travel of the previous version, or is it fine? Does the true 690 engine have more power than the previous 654?

I've not used it enough to tell yet Wozza. We've got a better morning ride on Xmas eve so will have more varied terrain (for Sussex).
It felt pretty supple over rolling and slightly ridged stuff but still felt good to me on the road.
It has plenty of ooomph but I've not ridden the old one to compare.... well not for 7 years, so it's not in my memory bank any more.

The torque is great and it just plugs its way through things if you end up one gear too high and I have found it easy to ride by the throttle.
It also is going much faster than you think on the lanes :oops:
There are three 'power' settings and mine is still on normal.

It doesn't look that low from bash plate to ground so probably ok on 90%+ of riding conditions but I suppose big logs or steps might be less easy, but I am a useless rider.
I guess you might feel a big landing a bit more but it;'s not really designed for that I suppose. It is a trail/mini adventure bike.
That said, it's much easier to unweight/pop up the front wheel than my 400 was.
It is really a soft enduro bike and the guy at Freestyles said he did enduro their 701 a few weeks ago and it was great fun.

Jonpaul1st uses a newer one for the road and his old one for enduro when he doesn't use is 2t - chuck him a pm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:31 pm 
400 cc

davidscott wrote:

There are three 'power' settings and mine is still on normal.

David: Its best left on that setting, the high is too snatchy for the trail (probably better for road only/Supermoto) and the low is too under powered.

davidscott wrote:
It doesn't look that low from bash plate to ground so probably ok on 90%+ of riding conditions but I suppose big logs or steps might be less easy, but I am a useless rider.
I guess you might feel a big landing a bit more but it;'s not really designed for that I suppose.

My non R version had the lower suspension and to be honest unless you're really tall I found this to be an advantage on the trails, it's much easier to pop your feet down and because the 690 is a bit heavier and wider than a standard enduro bike having shorter travel, lowered the COG and made it feel very stable.

The only time I missed the extra travel was on some of those whoops in Thetford forest, if you pushed on a bit it could get a bit of a handful but thats partly the extra weight as well. A standard enduro bike like the 350 EXC just glides across the top.

I did ground it on some rock steps in Devon as well come to think of it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:29 pm 
650 cc Monster

Pretty much my thought process Peter.

My 400 got 'interesting' in Thetford but that was partly due to never having ridden there before so not knowing what to expect (including the bits of loose sand) and also getting carried away with the fun of it.

I'm not planning on doing Romaniacs on it. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:11 pm 
200 cc

Thanks chaps. Sounds like the later model is probably best for a road-based mini adventure tourer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:18 pm 
650 cc Monster

Get a ride on one or, call Freestyles at Wadhurst and get a ride on their demo Husky 701 as that is pretty similar and will give you 99% of the info you might need.
I did ask if I could just ride it on the easy lanes at Magham Down to get a feel for it on looser surfaces and they just told me not to break it :D

A young lady was out there last Sunday at about 12.30 ish and they just told her to get back by 3.00pm as that's when they close.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:06 pm 
125cc

Hi Chaps,
Can I pick your brains on these 690s? I currently ride a Tiger800XC which is a very capable bike but I'm wanting a lighter adventure bike and the 690 (KTM or Husky) is on my RADAR. However, a friend of mine keeps telling me that they snap rocker arms without warning at any mileage. Do any of you have any info regarding this?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:42 pm 
80 cc

blacktiger wrote:
Hi Chaps,
Can I pick your brains on these 690s? I currently ride a Tiger800XC which is a very capable bike but I'm wanting a lighter adventure bike and the 690 (KTM or Husky) is on my RADAR. However, a friend of mine keeps telling me that they snap rocker arms without warning at any mileage. Do any of you have any info regarding this?
Thanks in advance.

The rocker arms have failed on some bikes and forums are full of such horrors - if you cane them hard expect more trouble. Perhaps an idea to consider the rocker arms service items at 10k.

Last edited by KTMMarky on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next