TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: WR250 petrol leak
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:52 am 
50 cc

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help.

I have a 2005 WR250F.

The overflow of the carb is dripping petrol when the tap is left on with the engine off. When the engine is ticking over the overflow runs out quite fast. 2 local shops have had a look and agree that the seal between the float valve and float valve seat is the problem. A new float valve has been fitted but this has not cured the problem. It's thought the valve seat is the cause, it may be pitted or scarred somehow. The trouble is this cannot be replaced as it's part of the aluminium body of the carb. A new car will be about £1000.00!!!!

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance,

Keith.

Post subject: Re: WR250 petrol leak
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:20 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

If I might make a couple of suggestions;

1. I presume that the floats are not punctured nor out of alignment
2. the folk have checked the 'Float height' by turning the carburettor upside down and measuring the float to float bowl base distance
3. check that the breather pipe is clear and terminates above the carburettor
4. some carburettors have a tiny seal around the valve body and these fail over time, not sure if your carburettor has such or if it is simply an interference fit
5. please follow this link for an article that explains the condition better than I can here;

https://www.fix.com/blog/motorcycle-car ... djustment/

In the past I once cured a similar problem by using an 'old' float valve with grinding paste to clean up the inner seat face of the valve body, of course it is essential to thoroughly clean the carburettor of the paste before using the carburettor.

Just some ideas off the top of my head but hope they help, come back to us if not.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:42 pm 
125cc

I had a simular problem on my carb (same FCR) and the brass fitting, that the fuel enters the carb through, has a couple of o-rings on it, and these had failed causing the fuel to bypass the float.

I just turned the tap to off when not using the bike then until the orings turned up

Maybe something to look at

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:30 pm 
200 cc

01342 wrote:
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help.

I have a 2005 WR250F.

The overflow of the carb is dripping petrol when the tap is left on with the engine off. When the engine is ticking over the overflow runs out quite fast. 2 local shops have had a look and agree that the seal between the float valve and float valve seat is the problem. A new float valve has been fitted but this has not cured the problem. It's thought the valve seat is the cause, it may be pitted or scarred somehow. The trouble is this cannot be replaced as it's part of the aluminium body of the carb. A new car will be about £1000.00!!!!

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance,

Keith.

Hi Keith,
PM sent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:53 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings again,

Just found this part on TotallyTTR's website;

http://totallyttrs.com/epages/699105d9- ... s/TTR-0040

Might be worth a phone tomorrow :idea:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:32 pm 
50 cc

Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I managed to get a 2nd hand carb off one of you. Sadly that part wouldn't have fitted.

Cheers,

Keith.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:41 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Pleased that we could try to help anyway.

TTFN

Hugh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]