TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Green lane sidecar info
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:09 pm 
80 cc

I've been putting a sidecar outfit together on and off for ages, in the past I've set the alignment for road outfits but never for green lanes so can anyone offer any advice? such as sidecar wheel lead, track, toe in and lean out or do I just set it up the same as a road outfit? any advice would be very gratefully received.
Martin

Post subject: Re: Green lane sidecar info
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:52 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings Martin,

I think that you will have to experiment, try to visit a trials event where sidecars are running and take plenty of photos and measurements. Tarmac road settings may not be quite what you require but as I say you will need to experiment.

What engine/transmission will you be using, frame type, suspension, wheels, the list goes on? Do you have any photos of the project parts so far?

Good luck, my first bike was a Matchless G3 350cc with a Watsonisan Bambino scooter sidecar, I had to have a modified central bar made after I cracked the first one. It was so much fun, I later made a Norton ES2 framed, 650cc Dominator Twin, Commando gearbox with a Watsonian Monza sidecar. The sidecar was a child adult, child car seat fitted for our first born son who really enjoyed the experience.

Perhaps Hitchcocks might be able to help as they may have set up the Enfield combinations of the 80's. Another source of info might be; http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/for ... ar-trials/

I am looking forward to knowing and seeing how you get on. Good luck.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:48 pm 
80 cc

Good luck with that one! You don't say what type of sidecar you are using, but I went through a phase of greenlaning with a Suzuki SP400 and trials sidecar primarily in the south lakes. It is hard work and lanes that you thought were easy suddenly become difficult side slopes provide a further dimension that does not normally bother a solo bike and you don't fall off you roll it. It always rolls to the left and the rider goes over the top!
You must have a sidecar brake or you will never turn left whilst going down hill.
As for setup, I set mine up with normal toe-in and sidecar wheel lead, although I can't remember the details, although the design of the trials sidecar dictated the setup to a great degree. I kept the bike vertical rather than the lean out normally accepted for road bikes as the position of the passenger has much more of an influence as to which way the bike leans.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:55 pm 
80 cc

Thanks for the help, I forgot to say what bike etc so have tried to add a couple of photo's, basically an old Transalp 600 from fieabay very scruffy but with a decent engine and what was a Watsonian chair, if the photo's load it will be easier than trying to explain, sidecar wheel is a rear wheel of unknown origin but came with complete brake setup, my intention is not for anything too strenuous just capable of a little gentle green laning.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:54 pm 
300 cc

Me thinks it will have to be real gentle, good luck with your project though :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]