TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Storing a bike through winter. Handy hints and tips plea
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:49 am 
650 cc Monster

Joel wrote:
You lot need to get out more often...it's a dirt bike not a F*****g Faberge' Egg...RIDE...

steady on Joel, this is not your normal sort of of throttle monkey but one of Cambridge's finest. :lol:

the bike is a Dirt bike but with steve on the back it never gets dirty just temporarily "soiled" :roll:

just go gently on him please ;) he has moved to Bedford and is going through an identity crisis :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:15 am 
650 cc Monster

Ah Bedford ! I have a friend who moved there from Manchester, he calls it Deadford...fair dos.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:25 pm 
300 cc

mike Irving wrote:

I feel ashamed because i don't even do what exchead suggests.

Ah yes the Motorcycle Maintenance Gospel According to Mike Irving.

After a days trail riding, put the bike into the garage/shed etc immediately.

The Fens mud combined with the general Earith detritus will provide a perfect protective coating until it's required in 3 months time. No further work needed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:27 pm 
300 cc

mike Irving wrote:
Joel wrote:
You lot need to get out more often...it's a dirt bike not a F*****g Faberge' Egg...RIDE...

steady on Joel, this is not your normal sort of of throttle monkey but one of Cambridge's finest. :lol:

the bike is a Dirt bike but with steve on the back it never gets dirty just temporarily "soiled" :roll:

just go gently on him please ;) he has moved to Bedford and is going through an identity crisis :oops:

Thanks Mike

After some of the steep, wet, slippery rocky descents in Devon, it's not only the bike that was soiled :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:30 pm 
300 cc

MARKSHELLEY wrote:
I would suggest you are better off brimming the tank with fuel than leaving it empty to prevent internal corrosion, but drain the float bowl. When taking it out of storage simply drain the fuel off and replace with new.

Thanks Mark, I get your point.

The tank is absolutely brand spanking new, so I may even remove it and store it indoors.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:40 pm 
300 cc

smokinrider wrote:
as its a 2 stroke a quick run up of the engine every few weeks will probably do more harm than good as it will create condensation in the engine if its not run up to full temperature. if you are going to run it occasionally make sure you give it a good run. ie 20 mins minimum, this will also keep the brakes fresh and rust free and the bearings free running in the wheels

however, I must ask the question, why are you storing it for the winter, get out and ride it!

thanks for the reply

If I did start it up, it would only be for a couple of minutes.
I'm gonna go for the "full storage".

The bike is a 1982 Suzuki TS250ER that I bought fully restored back in the spring.
It's not quite a show bike as some of the aesthetics aren't quite right. eg the seat is a replica and doesn't quite fit, the headlight surround should be chrome, the rear indicator wiring isn't routed correctly, it needs a chrome grab handle, the speedo has a yellow needle and it should be orange to match the tacho and a few other bits n pieces.
It's had 1 previous owner and has been SORN since 1992.
I have a Husaberg and the new water cooled GSA so I'll be riding them through the winter as I'd like to keep the Suzuki in it's current condition.

Last edited by LILY on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:42 pm 
300 cc

ironandtri wrote:
Winter some of the best riding months there is why miss out !!

I just want to keep it nice.

I know, I know I'm being precious :lol: :lol:

Last edited by LILY on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:44 pm 
300 cc

Joel wrote:

Well.....yes....I suppose it is technically a "dirt bike".

But it's also a twin shock, 2 stroke, classic trail bike.

And it's a beauty. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:50 pm 
300 cc

Chris123321 wrote:
Disagree with Lubricate the cylinders.

In storage the cylinder wall will eventually become oil free and if left unprotected for a long period of time rust will form and cause premature piston and ring wear when the engine is being started again. I would remove the spark plug and pour a good tablespoon of new engine oil into the cylinder and then slowly turn the engine over by hand to distribute the oil on the cylinder wall. By rotating the engine the fresh oil will also be pumped up into the cylinder head protecting the valve gear. If it is a single cylinder engine store it at TDC on the compression stroke so that both valves are closed, if it is a twin then swop the position from time to time.

Refit the spark plug loosely so that you can take it out say every six weeks or so to repeat the coating by adding fresh oil. Before starting the engine again remove the spark plug and spin the engine over to spread any residue oil around the bore, etc, it will also ensure that the engine does not start up ‘dry’. Yes, it may smoke a bit on initial start up but that will soon clear.

I wouldn't turn the engine over at all and I wouldn't put oil down into the chamber either.

When you go to start it then put 2 stroke mixed with petrol down the chamber a good nice squirt of it. Not just oil weather 4 stroke or 2 stroke.

I have put 2 stroke mixed with petrol down my cars cylinders and bikes. say 25:1 ratio maybe sronger like 20:1.......

BUT a fantastic write up to say the least WOW good effort

Thanks for your thought Chris.

I wonder if anyone else has anything to add from their experiences?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:53 pm 
300 cc

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone.
Hugh, that is a great post and must have taken you quite a while to get it all typed up.
I really appreciate your effort and time. I’m sure most of the forum members have enjoyed the read and also picked up a few pointers.
I’d like to suggest to whoever makes the decision, that it is put on the website as an article and also into the next TRAIL whenever that pops up again.
I think such a good post is very timely as well Hugh, after all the negative things that have been on the forum lately.
Well done Mate and thanks again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next