TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Headlights on the Trail?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:01 pm 
300 cc

I'm not keen on headlights on when trail riding on my 990 Adventure, being a big lump it does tend to stall a lot in the trickier stuff and only having an electric start, it can get a bit reluctant to start by the end of the day. I have considered fitting the right hand switch block from an older 950 as this is a straight plug-in and has a lights on/off switch but it is a bit pricy!

My 450 has no such problems, I can turn the lights off and it has the back up of a kick start.

As to the question of visibility, I tend to flick the lights on when on tarmac but off when on the lanes themselves as I consider it less obtrusive to other users.

http://www.nomadracing.co.uk No Byways were harmed in the making of this blog!

2006 KTM 450 Rally
2011 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 Honda CB500X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:37 pm 
400 cc

Tony Ferrari wrote:
I'm not keen on headlights on when trail riding on my 990 Adventure, being a big lump it does tend to stall a lot in the trickier stuff and only having an electric start, it can get a bit reluctant to start by the end of the day. I have considered fitting the right hand switch block from an older 950 as this is a straight plug-in and has a lights on/off switch but it is a bit pricy!

My 450 has no such problems, I can turn the lights off and it has the back up of a kick start.

As to the question of visibility, I tend to flick the lights on when on tarmac but off when on the lanes themselves as I consider it less obtrusive to other users.

My thoughts entirely Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:57 pm 
300 cc

[quote="johnnyboxer"][quote="Tony Ferrari"]I'm not keen on headlights on when trail riding on my 990 Adventure, being a big lump it does tend to stall a lot in the trickier stuff and only having an electric start, it can get a bit reluctant to start by the end of the day. I have considered fitting the right hand switch block from an older 950 as this is a straight plug-in and has a lights on/off switch but it is a bit pricy!

A Recluse clutch would sort your stalling problems,I have one for a 990 that has seen very little use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:20 pm 
125cc

johnnyboxer wrote:
Does it bother you, to see a line of headlights permanently on, threading their way along the trail?

I think it makes us more conspicuous to other country users - rightly or wrongly

Modern bikes have the lights permanently on & I don't care for if

I prefer lights off ......on the trails

It is more agreeable to my mind

What are your views ?

As a fellow Luddite, I totally agree JB!

I like to have as low a profile as possible off-road, like you mention elsewhere in the thread, quiet exhaust too. A ribbon of lights across a Shropshire hillside is not a positive one I feel. Lights go back on as I hit tarmac, sometimes I forget, either way.. :D

But a few bikes with lights on is nothing compared to the all terrain, 4wd, winching eedjits I came across a few weeks ago, full Camel trophy lights on producing enough light to cause light pollution in a city!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4