TRF Forums

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What bike to buy?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:28 pm 
650 cc Monster

The big issue i see is how far you have to ride on the Tarmac to get to the start of the ride. Depending on the distance the Tarmac miles will be very cold especially during the winter months. So you will need to wear extra clothing and then put the extra clothing somewhere while you ride the lanes. Also bear in mind that knobbly tyres will not last very long - on average 6 - 8 rides: even less with commuting miles to the start and back again.

The guys in our club who do not have transport for their bike are very restrictive on where they ride so rarely go to other areas. On the odd occasion they travel further they are dependant on others transporting the bike.

To my mind the honda crf 250l would be ideal for a novice - not too powerful, reliable and will be good on tarmac and on the lanes.

If you decide trail riding is the hobby for you and ride on a regular basis - at least twice a month - then it will be some sort of bike transport that will be a priority.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:42 pm 
125cc

KTM 125 exc 2 stroke

Or KTM 250 exc-f 4 stroke.

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:16 pm 
50 cc

Hi again, thank you for all the responses and suggestions.
I tried the Husqvarna FE350, and it fitted, I was offered a good deal and decided to go for it. The 350 seemed the best compromise for me light weight reasonable power etc. for light roadwork and then the lanes.
As mentioned I do realise I will be doing regular oil changes and valve checks, and depending how it goes a trailer could be an option in future to open up other trail opportunities further afield.
Thank you all again.
Regards
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:35 pm 
50 cc

Earwicker wrote:
Hi, I am in the fortunate position to be looking to buy a new bike, my first serious trail bike.
As I do not have a van or trailer I am looking for a bike to ride to the lanes, enjoy the ride and then ride home again afterwards. As such I need something capable of running at reasonable speed on the roads 50-60mph and having good performance on the lanes in the mud etc. I am currently looking at:
1. Yamaha WR250f 2015
2. Yamaha WR450f 2015 or 16
3. Husqvarna FE350s current model
I appreciate I will be over biked but want to learn and improve my skills and I know on the lanes that a smaller engined bike will probably be more manoeuvrable and easy to handle but I want a bike that will be able to perform reasonably well riding to the lanes as well.
As a new member I would be grateful to hear opinions from those more experienced.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

Huge difference between wr450f 2015 and 2016.....
2015 is good bike , 2016 is wow , bike can be changed with a small Yamaha tuning device , has several different mappings.
It's an animal , a 250wr is a nice bike but it's a 250 , a 450is hardly more heavy and less maneuverable.
My 1 st dirt bike was a year ago a tt600 , but I'm 45 and I ride bikes (no dirt bikes since 3 years old) ; I have around 350 000 km on over a 100 different road bikes (best friend was a big 2nd hand bike dealer). after 2 months riding the tt600 ,I bought a wr450 , and at the end of this year I'll get a Sherco 450 factory.
I drive 250 km (3rides) a week only in the woods.
So lots of exp get a 450 , otherwise go for a 250 or an older 600 xt , tt , xr....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:34 pm 
650 cc Monster

Going back to your original post

on the lanes a smaller engined bike will probably be more manoeuvrable and easy to handle but I want a bike that will be able to perform reasonably well riding to the lanes as well.

I'd say you need a Suzuki DR350S...sadly they don't make them any more, but you can get the same engine in a Beta Alp 4.0 brand new. The only problem with the Alp is that it's a bit more 'trials' than most trail bikes. The riding position (and there is only one riding position) is only suitable if you've got short legs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:39 pm 
80 cc

Had two WR450F's over the last 6 years, bought a 2015 WR250F last year, no regrets, beautiful and very capable bike. Unless you are a really tasty and experienced rider the 450 is probably too powerful.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2