TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: GPS security tracker opinions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:46 pm 
80 cc

I wondered if people are using GPS trackers for security, and if so what they think of the product / service. I know Rupert from Herts had some success recently with an Autocom, and that there's a previous thread herein for the Xexun XT-009.

I'm adding the options people mention to this first post to keep track.

• Autocom £129.00, no subscription, sim required
  • Xexun XT-009 £42.68, no subscription, card required
  • TK102 £39.99, subscription after a year, sim required
  • Bike Trac £299.99, £99.00 per year subscription, no sim required
  • Spot Trace €101.63, €104.88 per year subscription

Anyone using anything else, or have any opinions on the subject?

Last edited by linssen on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: GPS security tracker opinions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:41 pm 
125cc

Hi,

Fitted a TK102b last April after I disturbed three sc*oats trying to break into my garage. It's been working fine, ordered a free sim from GifGaff and set it up, very easy.

You can get them now, supplied with a 5v 3amp voltage dropper/power lead, I ordered a 3amp inline fuse, which are about £1 and job done.

Another member on here recently stated he had been using his for two years no problem. It has other features like most which I haven't experimented with, but for me the main thing is that once I phone it sends me the grid ref. info and a Google map link which is very accurate, within a few metres. Tested it several times in various locations. I was told that this is about as accurate as you can get, as the American satellites do not allow for any greater level of accuracy.

This item can be purchased on it's own for under a tenner, but then you need to buy the voltage dropper / power supply. This one is £15.58.
They are in some cases listed as waterproof, they come with a zip tight plastic type wallet which may help, but unless you submerge your bike then I think they will be fine, mine has. In any case, at that price you just replace it!

Interested to hear what others use and their experiences. We are as a club possibly looking to possibly purchase some as it really is a no brainer! I don't know if there are better options out there as there are so many to choose from and the prices vary wildly, even for the same item.

Is this something the National TRF could look into, with a view to a member/s discount?

This is the item I currently use: No Subscription required!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181430346120

This looks to be the same item but with a power supply included and cheaper. Mario has quite rightly pointed out that there are clones on the market, so it may be a risk going for the bargain basement item!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-RealTime ... XQ0pNRpHUU

Last edited by Dominic on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:02 pm 
650 cc Monster

Hi Dominic

Your post is interesting as you seem to have bought a clone device but it works fine

I went below £10 and bought "landfill" :-)

The genuine xexun tk102 seems to be £40

I would be interested to test your current draw which at 3 to 5 A seems excessive

I would be looking for around 25 mAH on a bike mounted device

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:24 pm 
125cc

On my road bike I have a Biketrac system, excellent service, just move it for more than 30 seconds with the ignition off or outside a geofence and they are on the phone, a few neat features too..£300 & £100 a year, but it is monitored 24/7 maybe over the top in a trail bike....unless it's stolen then worth every penny..

www.trumpettouring.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:06 am 
125cc

Hi Mario,

I have amended my post to show the 'actual' item I purchased and currently use, given your comments regarding clones, I paid £17 last year for it, but this UK seller has reduced his price to £15.89. I'm not overly technical re electrics, and ordered the item below to connect to my battery via a 3amp inline fuse. You use the power lead supplied to plug into one of the female usb's and have a spare for other devices?

DC 12V to 5V 3A Step down Converter Buck Regulator to 2 Female USB Output Car UK

This option means a lot of spare cable, so I personally would just buy the 12v to 5v Step Down item with the correct 8 pin connector, which are advertised for this item for around a fiver.

Just passing on my experiences, however, would it be worth doing a bit of a field test to see how the cloned item compares / works against the official item? If it's on par then it would make a very good buy! As said previously, I haven't used the other options like the Geo Fencing option so will look into that to see if it actually works? I does give it's position very accurately, so does that bit very well.

Dom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:26 pm 
650 cc Monster

Hi Dom

Looks great

Other features of interest are

Low battery alarm. Text sent when bike battery is getting low

Waterproof. On a different version

Need to test for current draw

I will sync with will. I was thinking of linking in with a members 24/7 monitor centre our Herts TRF response But that may be a step too far

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]