TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gear in General - Recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:52 am 
80 cc

Hi guys,

I've got a enduro style Triumph jacket and an Arai Tour X4 but other than that my other kit is road orientated i.e. leathers etc. I have a CRFL250L and will be using it for road riding days out, bit of commuting and a spot of green laning with you lot :) Most importantly need some decent boots, that I would like to use on the road and green laning, as I have read it a bit of a compromise. I've looked at the below, sometimes there it to much choice :)

Sidi Adventure Gore Tex - nice but pricey
Sidi Crossfire - prob to stiff for everyday riding
Alpinestars Tech 3 Trail - not had very good experience with the brand in general
Forma Adventure - look good and quite cheap ?
Gaerne G Aventure - prob not enough protection

Also looked at trousers, quite like these Acerbis ? I'm guessing best to go with Enduro type trouser with protection rather than a thin motocross type trouser ?

http://www.offroadworld.co.uk/all/cloth ... pants.html

Oh same for gloves ? I have a few pairs of road Rukka, Richa leather etc but nothing for off road

Cheers for any comments

Pete

Post subject: Re: Gear in General - Recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:18 pm 
125cc

I use a pair of Shot X10 boots for green lanes. Been pleased with them.
I too use an old road bike textile jacket, but without the armour as I wear motocross type armour.
Trousers are an old pair of road bike goretex textiles. Again armour removed as I use knee protection and Knox hip protection.
I don't get on with goggles so I wear safety specs for when the visor is up.

All the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:09 pm 
650 cc Monster

I use W2 waterproof adventure boots and they are all day comfy, can cope with very wet days and river crossings but, like any boot, won't like continual soaking and will eventually give up.
Plenty of protection for trail riding and I still use them on the odd enduro training day.
http://www.bikestop.co.uk/w2-4-dirt-adv ... oots-black

I have some 'waterproof' trousers but it's worth getting some Forces Surplus over trousers for the really bad days.

Gloves are a nightmare.
MX gloves are fine for non-winter and dry use but winter gloves are more difficult to pin down while keeping the feel trhough the grips. Road bike gloves tend to be too bulky.
I've just bought some KTM Hydroteq for winter use (with heated grips) but they only arrived today so haven't tried them yet.
I would definitely recommend heated grips, well worth every penny.

I have now changed to a base layer, armour and various suitable layers above rather than a jacket - the built in armour tends to move if you fall off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:45 pm 
650 cc Monster

Most people wear what suits then but make sure you have good protection.
Most people use MX style protection for back, chest, shoulders, elbows and knees.
MX style gloves good in summer, Lomo gloves have been recommended for winter but not used myself.
Boots need to provide protection and will be OK for all day use but may not be suitable for walking long distances.
Ex military waterproofs are worth getting for the bad weather. Can also be useful if riding when it is cold as I use MX trousers.

It can be hot work riding on the lanes.

Best bet is to go and talk to your local group.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]