TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: e-bike
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:17 pm 
80 cc

Of late I’ve been trying out an e-bike, not having owned a motorcycle for a few years after finding the R1150 a bit of a handful to pick up and feeling the need for a little power-assist. As some will know I’ve long used a mountain bike, having bought my first one in 1984.
The e-bike I am currently riding is a Scott E-Aspect hard-tail. I thought the full suspension was a tad over the top for a pensioner, a decision that my arse now regrets. My first ride was a quick circuit of local bridleways. Four miles in 21 minutes. One decent ascent crested with no more than a slightly increased heart-rate. An impressive start.
Since then I’ve done some larger circuits of around 20 miles that have included byway, RB, UUR and bridleway (some being ‘Winchestered’ claims for BOAT) and I have to say I do like this e-bike thing. For those who might be contemplating a purchase I offer the following.
1 - There are four levels of assistance from the motor. Rolling on tarmac ‘eco’ and ‘tour’ are fine. Come to a hill and ‘sport’ really shoves you up. There is one extra level of assistance and that is ‘turbo’. Needless to say the more assistance you dial in the shorter the assisted journey. Although you can cycle ‘unassisted’ it is flippin hard work.
2 - The electric assist only works up to 15.5 mph. Enough for laning but a tad underwhelming on the tarmac as over the 15.5 mph you do notice the weight. That said, this machine is not high geared and, be honest, if you were on an MTB you’d be only be doing around 8 mph anyway. That said I’ve managed 35 mph downhill and it’s as solid as a rock.
3 - At 19kg it is over twice the weight of my MTB and this is a two-edged sword. It does track well through clag, when changing ruts,etc as the weight carries you through in situations where a MTB would have you walking or on the deck. The weigh also aids traction.
4 - Unlike a trail bike to apply power you need to peddle. Being heavier than a MTB momentum doesn’t always carry over an obstacle and the need to peddle arrises where you’d rather focus on balance. I’m sure this is something that will become second nature in time. I have missed the ability to ‘twist and go’ but then you remember it is a bicycle.
I got mine form the e-bikeshop in Farnham and I’m really looking forward to summer. At least then I’ll not get an ear bending for dropping mud on the kitchen floor.

Attachments:
File comment: There were about 30 wamblers behind me when I took this.
IMG_1678 - Version 2.jpg
IMG_1678 - Version 2.jpg [ 323.12 KiB | Viewed 11931 times ]

Post subject: Re: e-bike
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:09 pm 
80 cc

They're great fun. I got myself a haibike a few weeks ago. Can take the dog green laning now!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:36 pm 
300 cc

The size of your dog Andy you could of got her to pull you along :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:24 pm 
80 cc

Yep, the Haibike was omg the list. I did contemplate the KTM bike but realised that I only wanted one so that I'd feel like one of the gang...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:00 pm 
80 cc

Word of warning.... The cheapskates supplied bike with the cheapest tyres. IMV saving around £30 on a bike costing £2,800 is just mean. Fixed the front puncture this morning - put it on…. The rear was flat. Two punctures in one day.

I take a look at the Schwarbe site and the supplied tyres ‘Tough Tom’ (sounds like constipation dunnit? ... "Eh Brenda, just had a tough tom, could yer stew some prunes) are shown on the Schwarbe web site as entry level and not recommended for e-bikes.

So, I’ve ordered Slime tubes and Schwarbe level 6 puncture resistant tyres. I have Schwarbe Marathon fitted to my Giant MTB and I cannot remember the last puncture. Probably predates the fitting of Schwarbe.

That said, had a brilliant ride - 18 miles in 2 hours, all BOAT & RB, finishing the day nicely with five reports if illegal obstruction to HCC.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:05 pm 
80 cc

Andy - I did look at the Haibike - it just looked a tad 'trendy' for an old bloke like me. Very nice tho'. Having done a few miles on the Scott I could go for the Haibike road bike. Given the formula for cycle ownership I think it would be allowed.

Where N = the number of bikes a bloke owns the formula for the required number of owned bikes comes out as N+1=just right.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:13 pm 
200 cc

Hi - I've read this with interest. Personally, I ride trail bikes and MTB and love the idea of giving an eBike a go. Would you be interested in talking to me about your experiences for a potential article on the TRF website?

Please drop me an email if you are - greg@trf.org.uk

Thanks

: )

TRF communications contractor on the hunt for good photos, films and stories. If you've been riding and have a tale to tell, I'm interested. Drop me an email greg@trf.org.uk

The Green Lane Relay: https://vimeo.com/96521474

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:05 pm 
650 cc Monster

Interesting...but almost £3k!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:59 am 
200 cc

I bought one of these exactly a year ago when they first became available and with the good weather we've been having I went out today for a spin.

Now I'm old enough to have bought a decent MTB back in the 80's when the so called MTB craze first took off, I've still got my old rigid framed Specialized Stumpjumper that cost a few quid back in the day, Specialized still make the Stumpjumper and obviously it's changed beyond recognition compared to my old one but interestingly it's price today is similar to this bike. This Haibike is the first bike I've bought since then and I'm struck by the quality of it, yes it's not cheap but you can feel the quality when you ride it from the precise gears to the hydraulic disc brakes and the suspension but it's also the frame which is so well made that I see it as a work of art in metal :shock:

Attachment:
LH.jpg
LH.jpg [ 462.18 KiB | Viewed 11246 times ]

The mudguards I fitted are excellent and work really well, I got fed up with being splattered to the point where there was thick mud building up on the saddle and your back looks like you had a nasty accident :shock: I can't understand why MTB bikes are bought and sold without mudguards in this country. It's great coming back from a ride now where the bike's miles cleaner and you can just hang your top back on its peg, you'd never ride a trail bike devoid of mudguards...it must be a So Cal MTB cool thing :lol:

The Yamaha drive unit is incredible and having two chainrings is useful as you can climb some seriously steep climbs where the limiting factor is the tyre grip!

Some pictures from today's ride around Eggesford Forest in Devon which was the Forestry Commission's first plantation back in 1919
Attachment:
Big Douglas Fir.jpg
Big Douglas Fir.jpg [ 570.47 KiB | Viewed 11246 times ]

There's a nice track down to the river Taw where if you sit quietly long enough you are sometimes rewarded by the sight of a Kingfisher flying along, wait a while longer and you might even see it return :D
Attachment:
River Taw.jpg
River Taw.jpg [ 603.05 KiB | Viewed 11246 times ]

From the river there's a nice track and a short uphill climb to a Norman Motte and Bailey, quite rightly you aren't allowed to cycle on any of this as it's a monument.
Attachment:
Motte and Bailey.jpg
Motte and Bailey.jpg [ 632.83 KiB | Viewed 11246 times ]

I'm very pleased with mine and enjoy riding it a lot especially as it opens up lots of routes like Bridleways and access land with the Forestry Commision as well as restricted byways. it's impressive how much ground you can cover especially considering it's only 250W. The 25KPH(15.5MPH) restriction isn't really an issue because, downhill you can easily exceed it, uphill you keep an eye on the power meter and you will find a sweet spot with the gearing and can normally go uphill at anywhere between 12-14MPH, we're talking a smooth track here not a rock infested climb. Now that might not sound a lot but believe me if you've ever been sat on a bicycle doing that UPHILL it's a very strange feeling the only way to describe it is it make you feel almost superhuman. If there's any issue with the restriction then it's on the flat where you hit 16mph and you feel the power go off and all of a sudden the bike feels heavier, it's not much of an issue off tarmac but from what I hear it's the reason why some cycle commuters are either giving up on electric bikes or fitting speed dongles.

One downside is that these things are still relatively new so unless you know someone else with one you are in effect in a club of one! Fortunately someone I know has just bought one the same so I hope to get out to Somerset soon and ride the lost lanes on the Quantock Hills :D

In summary does a modern eMTB represent a viable alternative to trail Riding, for me... definitely not, what it is though is yet another way to enjoy mile upon mile of our great countryside on two wheels :D

Cheers John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:16 am 
400 cc

Great topic
Reading with interest

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next