TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: ViewRanger Routes.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:35 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Following some recent news I have updated my routes on ViewRanger.

I have removed four lanes which have recently had their status changed (Roych; Chapel Gate; Black Harry and Over Hill Road - also called Oven Hill Road for part of its length and which is effectively now a cul de sac if travelling from the Chinley end), another which will change very soon (Brushfield) and I have removed yet another which might change in the near future although seems operational at this point in time.

Please feel free to use the routes as guidance but remember to check DCC portal for updates, especially in the Peak District, and of course road signage, the latter is less reliable as I have recently found out.

TTFN

Hugh.

Post subject: Re: ViewRanger Routes.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:19 am 
80 cc

Any more details about oven hill road please.....is this the long lane from hayfield to chinley??
Where is the lane closed,thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:42 am 
650 cc Monster

Good morning Martyn,

Yes you are correct, starting at Birch Vale up to Piece Farm the lane is referred to as Oven Hill Lane, which was probably a 'typo' error way back when, from there all the way down to the old quarry near Stubbins farm, where it becomes Stubbins Lane, it is called Over Hill Lane.

I have only recently found out that Restricted Byway status has been applied from a point basically at Moor Lodge to the old Parish boundary. This effectively means, so far as I understand it, that we can approach from the Chinley end but the lane becomes a cul de sac at the boundary and we will have to turn around to exit. Yet another example of selfish discriminatory removal of rights by effectively blocking the route to Laneside Road.

I understand that there is a recently erected sign at the Birch Vale end (I have not been there to investigate so can not comment) and one at the parish boundary line with a finger post, on the inside of the corner so not really very clear to see pointing back to Birch Vale. Currently there are non at the junction with Laneside Road. Not entirely true as there is one finger post bridleway sign pointing up the hill to where so far as know nobody has ever ridden, since it becomes a cul de sac too.

This old lane is surrounded by derelict mine workings, some were for coal and others even produced flagstones for flooring. These 'goods' were then taken down towards Birch Vale and the New Mills - Hayfield Road or down to Chinley and/or Bugsworth basin for onward transportation. Presumably in the early days by horse and cart but surely by motorised vehicles later as they became popular. The route is effectively a cord cutting across the centre of a circle when you look at the road network, so I would suggest that in the past it would have been used by many local users as a shorter distance to travel around the area.

I have ridden this lane since 1973 and so far as I know there has never been a cross word between the various user groups. We often used to stop and chat with the lady at the stables coming up from Birch Vale.

I have, since having been told of the change, checked on the DCC portal,

https://maps.derbyshire.gov.uk/connect/ ... cfg=portal

and found that it is now New Mills Restricted Byway 163. Apparently 12 claims for BOAT status were submitted back in 2005 but they were overruled, although there is no date on the order so I do not know when.

I hope this information helps you.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:21 pm 
80 cc

Good information,thanks hugh

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]