TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The fate of Green Roads is out of my hands...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm 
650 cc Monster

Kelvyn wrote:
Well, my MP gave an almost immediate response.

"
Sorry Kelvyn

If this is a very nice way of asking me to support motorcycles and scrambling motorbikes being able to access green lanes, country footpaths and bridle paths then I cannot support this

Pat
"

Clearly she doesn't understand, and needs further education/information on the matter.

Makes you worried about the understanding of any laws that are going through.
Thick as two short planks and twice as stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:43 pm 
650 cc Monster

Kelvyn wrote:
Well, my MP gave an almost immediate response.

"
Sorry Kelvyn

If this is a very nice way of asking me to support motorcycles and scrambling motorbikes being able to access green lanes, country footpaths and bridle paths then I cannot support this

Pat
"

Clearly she doesn't understand, and needs further education/information on the matter.

I would clarify that you are not asking for access to bridlepaths and footpaths, which has been illegal for 86 years. Neither are you asking for access to all green lanes, as many are also now illegal to use. You are asking for continued legal access to a tiny proportion of lanes (mileage in her constituency) that support various businesses and cause you personally to contribute £XX to the economy annually to pursue your hobby.

Go for some objective facts. Bear in mind that your MP is obliged to represent the constituents.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 am 
400 cc

Tell her they are Green Roads :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:20 pm 
125cc

Just contacted my MP as a result of this campaign. I'll let you know what comes back.
Anyone else done this?

cheers
axa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:15 pm 
125cc

senthx wrote:
Got a response from my MP's office, almost straight away, and have arranged a face to face meeting with him Friday next week.

Well, I met with my MP Richard Fuller on Friday. About 20 minutes in all. He was familiar with the Sport and Recreation Alliance
and says that he holds them in high regard. He did not know about trail riding, and so I told him.

I did not speak about the need to appoint an outdoor recreation minister, as that was less familiar territory to me. Instead I explained in about 5 minutes, what trail riding was, what it involved, how it contributed to the economy both nationally and locally. I then explained what the TRF was, what we were about, our code of conduct. He looked at the TRF website on his computer, and we talked about what trail bikes were briefly. I also pointed out that there were roughly speaking 14 Green Roads in his constituency that I ride. That yards from his constituency office was a small business, Craven Motorcycles, where myself and my friends buy our lubricants etc etc from

He asked me about quad bikes being ridden around our town - this is a bit of a local problem at times, and I explained that we think the people riding them like eejits are just that, and that those tearing around without crash helmets etc on dirt bikes had likely stolen them from us..... I did point out that there are responsible quad bike owners around, some of them are TRF members.

Our MP was not overly familiar with countryside access for vehicles, so we spent ten minutes or so discussing that. I said that I thought that elements ................. etc wanted to ban us, reminded again that we "tread lightly" and have a code of conduct and he said that he was broadly libertarian in his views, and would not favour removing rights of access, and would welcome contact from the TRF in the future, if there was need to particularly on a national legislation level.

http://www.youtube.com/senthx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:51 pm 
650 cc Monster

:D sounds a good meeting. Far less non-commital than you might expect from an MP.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:21 am 
650 cc Monster

senthx wrote:
senthx wrote:
Got a response from my MP's office...........

Well done Mark Good effort :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 am 
125cc

Response from my MP:

Quote:
Dear Adrian,

Thank you for contacting me about support for outdoor recreation and trail riding. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response and thank you for being so patient.

I appreciate the strength of feeling on this issue, and ministers have been clear that they support the legal recreational use of motorbikes in the countryside, including by consulting with the Trail Riders Fellowship over its motor vehicle policy on public rights of way. I know that the Trail Riders Fellowship has done valuable work in helping to repair and maintain the off-road network, and promoting the responsible use of byways.

As you mention, Trail Riding generates significant economic benefits to local communities and the country as a whole. Indeed, a recent report by the Sport and Recreation Alliance, Reconomics (2014), showed that the outdoor recreation sector was valued at £1.43 billion in 2013, with more than 26,000 people directly employed in outdoor education, recreation, development training and outdoor sport development. Crucially, it is often rural businesses which are supported by outdoor recreation, particularly during the off-season.

A further benefit of Trail Riding is the role it plays in keeping people healthy and active, and it is important that you refer to this. I am encouraged by the fact that the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales national parks are to be extended in size next year, which will allow Trail Riding to go from strength to strength.

I have also written to Rory Stewart MP at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) to pass on your concerns, and will be sure to forward his response as soon as I receive it.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me and I hope you are reassured by my response. If you have any further questions then please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,
Nicola

Nicola Blackwood MP
Member of Parliament for Oxford West and Abingdon

Overall positive but I'm worried that she has made a link between expansion of NPs and strength of trail riding.

cheers
axa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:57 am 
650 cc Monster

National Parks and Trailriding are entirely compatible. This is because trailriding is a proper and traditional fabric of the countryside with an extremely rich heritage. National Parks exist to protect that.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:10 am 
300 cc

Fairly standard non committal response from my MP
Attachment:
mp letter.jpg
mp letter.jpg [ 118.83 KiB | Viewed 7140 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next