TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Off-roading kit - suggestions/recommendations needed!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:32 pm 
50 cc

So I'm picking up my bike on Friday (see intro post in The Bar) but need to buy some kit! I'll be doing lanes/trails around Bristol/surrounding areas and potentially having a go on MX tracks in the future. Any help/advice on the following would be appreciated:

Motocross/Trials/Enduro specific boots.. How much does it matter and how do different brands fit? (wide/narrow/buy a size up etc) Any recommendations?

Helmets.. do most prefer adventure style with visors or mx style with goggles? Recommendations?

I'll probably buy an MX jersey/trousers combo and I've got body armour and knee/shin pads but are people using knee-braces or not?

Hopefully I can buy some stuff this weekend and get out ASAP!

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Off-roading kit - suggestions/recommendations needed!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:27 pm 
125cc

hi

this is my current gear.

boots...UFO HEROS (got them cheap in sales) full on motox boot, take some wearing in and possibly too rigid for trail riding but after they start to give I find them a nice comfortable solid boot. they have saved my shins more times than I can count and have definitely held my ankle in place once on a heavy spill. (people who ride in steel toe cap work boots really bother me)

helmet.. recently bough a spada intrepid ...although a cheap helmet I find it comfortable light weight and it has a visor and integral sun visor.

trousers ...I have a set of wulf enduro which I picked up from ebay...used once £12 ..bargain

jacket...really must buy a new one. its a old textile road jacket...but does the job.

in the colder months I wear bas layer thermals under trousers.

I personably don't wear any armour...knee braces or elbow pads (its something I really should rethink.)

gloves....warmer months I just wear mx gloves. in the colder months on the trail I wear mx gloves with nitrile surgical type gloves underneath...and have a set of winter road gloves for any long road sections.

I have a neck warmer and a thick balaclava depending on the weather etc. you will find you sweat like hell once on the lanes if you wear too many layers.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:24 pm 
300 cc

Mostly what he ^ said!

I use Wulfsport overtrousers and jacket. Cheap, well made and good enough.
Repeated washing machine care has reduced the waterproofing, but Nikwax has restored that.

+1 on the stiff boots - I have Tech 3's that I can hardly walk in, even after 3 years, but I've had no ankle issues.
Forget about waterproof boots - there's no such thing, especially when there is a big hole in the top (where your leg goes in!)
"Invest" in a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks, or ex-army ones for the tightwad - it is worth it, but if you go for Sealskinz, shop around aggressively (search MTB sites too) as the same socks can be had for either £18 or £36. Big money difference.

IMO, don't balaclava, you'll get too hot, but a neck warmer is useful.

I do full body armour when using just MX shirts to ride in the height of summer, otherwise, just the inbuilt stuff. I do use extra knee protection, but not MX ones, I use MTB ones as they are not solid, are more comfortable and less prone to sweating.

By coincidence, I also have a Wulfsport helmet, an old model now, but the visor is crap and distorts vision - later ones are better, have sun visor, but are heavier. I don't get on with goggles (visor and safety specs underneath for me). Wulf helmets are reckoned to be noisy, but it doesn't bother me.

+1 for base layer tops. I wear cycle trousers under the Wulfsport overtrousers (it's a Lycra thing!) year round.
Summer is base layer top only under the jacket, winter is base layer and thin jumper. I'm not hard, I just get hot on the lanes, and use the road to cool down!

Gloves: take your pick, but carry a spare set, so you can change to a dry pair after the lunch stop!

Everyone has their own preferences, and mine may not be perfect by any means, but it works for me!

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:51 pm 
200 cc

As above.

I would defiantly recommend MX boots. While wearing mine I managed to break a bone in my foot after hitting something solid while riding down a lane. I think I would have broken more than 1 bone if I had been wearing something lighter.

I would recommend a pair of boots a size bigger than you normally take so you can wear the next item I am recommending.......goretex waterproof overstocks' cost about £30.

I also wear knee braces as I've had operations on both knees.

Layers are best. I wear them to and from rides to keep warm and remove them for the ride. You will sweat, even in the winter.

Get most of your kit secondhand off eBay.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:37 am 
650 cc Monster

One size bigger boots,at least..this time of year I wear army 'mvp' socks (sealskins but better)army goretex boot liners,(a must) Alpine Star boots (any if you have wide feat) I always wear body armour, but have recent discovered army gotetex jackets (desert storm colours,all over eBay £20, and wear the pants (a tenner) over your biking keks... This makes for a very thin, but waterproof and breathable outer layer... Use fleeces and other shit under depending on temp.Bare I mind you get hot on the trails...?i also HIGHLY recommend muffs (look shit but are priceless) and get heated grips... For the full effect... I ride in. mx gloves (thin) all year round. Don't like goggles.. Pain in the arse.. So have a visor, that I raise when necessary (most of the time).....got red eyes tonight....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:42 am 
50 cc

Cheers for all the info so far! I've had a quick look on Gumtree/eBay etc but will have a proper session tonight. I've got no problem with second hand stuff.. My only problem is patience! :roll: ideally I'd like to try everything on first as well unless it was really cheap! Am going to visit a couple of shops on the weekend and try things on for size, potentially buy if the price is right (January sales??). Luckily my dad dug out his old riding stuff (like stepping back in time aha) and there were some ex-army gore-tex boot liners so that's one thing taken care of.. Everything else was pretty useless! Will look into MVP/Sealskinz. I should have some mx gloves somewhere from my moped days but if not my summer textile A* gloves would work fine off-road (almost mx gloves but with knuckle armour). Between me and my Dad we've got plenty of base layers from road riding and come to think of it my textile winter jacket would probably work this time of year..

I'm well aware of the heat/sweat aspect even in winter, did an 'off-road experience' day in Wales a couple of months ago and had to shed a couple of layers at lunch! Also, one thing I'm definitely looking at getting is a hydration pack!

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:34 pm 
200 cc

Definatly use eye protection. I usually wear a pair of "eye protection glasses" from Toolstation, cost less than £10. Theres plenty of vegitation hanging across the lanes and stones being kicked up by the bike in front of you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:26 pm 
200 cc

Airoh light weight mx helmet and goggles

Klim powerxcross jacket

Klim Dakar trousers

Army goretex over trousers

Sealskinz country socks

Army goretex boot liners

Gaerne React Enduro boots

Thermal long John's

Two thermal vests

661 body armour

Force Field knee pads

All the above is premium great but light weight, warm, keeps me dry and good year round. Always happy to ride my bike whatever the weather!

Have a look at a website caked adventure spec, they have great kit and good advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:46 pm 
80 cc

I found some quality ONeal Rider mx boots at a bargain price on ebay...->here
I budgeted under £100 for boots and just made it,some funky colours..I went a bit patriotic.. :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]