TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New Bike
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 pm 
50 cc

I'm after a all rounder if it exists, looking to ride the B roads with the odd A road plus the lanes and the odd 100 mile run around, possibly the Taffy Dakar. I have looked at the SWM300, CCM450 Beta Xtrainer (nice) my bike history is mainly road orientated, Multistrada, 2016 AT for 2500 miles, (it just didn't feel right) currently a 1993 Cagiva W16 and a 2012 Versys 1k. do I need more than one bike?

Post subject: Re: New Bike
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:02 pm 
300 cc

some guys in the northern region use the KTM 690 looks like a bike that is quite good at everything without excelling at one aspect to the detrement of other functions
Leo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:51 pm 
80 cc

twister wrote:
I'm after a all rounder if it exists, looking to ride the B roads with the odd A road plus the lanes and the odd 100 mile run around, possibly the Taffy Dakar. I have looked at the SWM300, CCM450 Beta Xtrainer (nice) my bike history is mainly road orientated, Multistrada, 2016 AT for 2500 miles, (it just didn't feel right) currently a 1993 Cagiva W16 and a 2012 Versys 1k. do I need more than one bike?

You can't go far wrong with the new Africa Twin in my view, standard clutch and gearbox model.

I did 2000kms or tarmac road in the Alps this year, snow, ice, wet and dry - simply superb and I want one.

The off road ability gets rave reviews if you fit the right tyres and go for the standard clutch and box for UK lanes.

Should then be the only bike you'll need.

Regards

Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:17 pm 
650 cc Monster

Blacklightning wrote:
twister wrote:

You can't go far wrong with the new Africa Twin in my view, standard clutch and gearbox model.

I did 2000kms or tarmac road in the Alps this year, snow, ice, wet and dry - simply superb and I want one.

The off road ability gets rave reviews if you fit the right tyres and go for the standard clutch and box for UK lanes.

Should then be the only bike you'll need.

Regards

Stuart

i am sure Stuart is right the Africa Twin does look good ( i've not ridden one yet) and we have a Cambridge member who has done the same lanes Stuart did here on his XR400 last spring.....he was super fit though. I'd go with the 690 ( i have one and i have ridden it in Devon, in the Peaks, in Northumberland and Yorkshire as well as through the Cambridge winter mud. Mancchair has a 640 with all the fairings and he rides everywhere on it ( the 690 is lighter). Only complaint is the colour. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:02 pm 
200 cc

Nope you dont need more than 1 bike.......
1 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere is all you need.
You can do this

And this

And this

And this

https://youtu.be/g7wmrAQ7AwA

And this

And this

And if your a little creative this

AND you can do all this with a comfy seat, weather protection, whilst doing 65 to the gallon
With 6000 mile service intervals ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:55 pm 
80 cc

HuskyJon wrote:
Nope you dont need more than 1 bike.......
1 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere is all you need.
You can do this

And this

And this

And this

And this

And this

And if your a little creative this

AND you can do all this with a comfy seat, weather protection, whilst doing 65 to the gallon
With 6000 mile service intervals ;) :lol:

Standard shocks those WP ones? :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:30 pm 
50 cc

Sorry guys I'm obviously not so good at the grammar. I bought the new Africa Twin in March and sold it in June as I never really bonded with it. lovely bike but I felt something went wrong with the r&d side as after a month the spokes were discoloured and looking really bad, the small drop at 0 mph broke the hand guard and twisted the forks and the tyres were seriously dodgy in the wet.
Also after 3k miles I expected the gearbox to smooth out but it was still clunky.
I think the most dangerous thing to do was to spend time wondering at the NEC today. £550 and still no off roader.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:02 am 
200 cc

Gigsy wrote:

Ermmmm no. Neither is the trailer :D BUT....... The standard suspension is fine for trail work i did plenty on the standard setup.
I only changed mine as it came far too cheap too turn down. (im talking the price of a nice meal out without posh wine ;) )

Also im a rather robust chap and found i could get stiffer WP springs easier than tenere ones ;-).

Yamaha also fitted a handy recovery loop. But there was a slight fault as its supposed be mounted on the back of the bike not the front and was designed for towing dead KTMs off the trail........... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:01 am 
650 cc Monster

HuskyJon wrote:
Gigsy wrote:

Ermmmm no. Neither is the trailer :D BUT....... The standard suspension is fine for trail work i did plenty on the standard setup.
I only changed mine as it came far too cheap too turn down. (im talking the price of a nice meal out without posh wine ;) )

Also im a rather robust chap and found i could get stiffer WP springs easier than tenere ones ;-).

Yamaha also fitted a handy recovery loop. But there was a slight fault as its supposed be mounted on the back of the bike not the front and was designed for towing dead KTMs off the trail........... :lol:

Robust...you are only as good as your last weld....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:34 pm 
200 cc

Joel wrote:
Robust...you are only as good as your last weld....

Haha i just checked and my last weld is still holding strong. Mind you i only did it 20mins ago :lol:

And how might your welding job be holding up??

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next