TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Standard Cans
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:14 pm 

Is it me or on bikes like the KLX 250,CRF 250L,WR250,DRZ,TT250 etc standard cans work really well for green laning...Why do people change them for loud cans?

Post subject: Re: Standard Cans
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:28 pm 
650 cc Monster

God knows.
I feel my 400 EXC standard KTM can is too loud but I can't find a simple way of muffling it a bit. Not that I've tried too hard and I haven't had a dB reading taken for it.
It's not a bad noise as it's quite a nice bark but it isn't really necessary and I would prefer it a tad quieter, particularly for horse trial work - not that anyone has ever complained though.
I certainly don't want to strip the silencer down to see if I can repack it.

That said, my new to me 1967 Triumph has straight through exhausts and keeps the neighbours on their toes.
You can see the sleeve pipe running right through and the bulge is for aesthetic purposes only by the looks of it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm 
80 cc

My bike is plenty loud enough with a standard pipe. Might find people change them for race days, but don't change them back for road use.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:22 pm 
200 cc

KentWR wrote:
Is it me or on bikes like the KLX 250,CRF 250L,WR250,DRZ,TT250 etc standard cans work really well for green laning...Why do people change them for loud cans?

I don't understand it either, all the bikes you mention above have a similar low noise output to a standard run of the mill farm quad bike and these days that is a perfectly normal and acceptable sound in the countryside. A full MX pipe is too loud for greenlaning, there really only meant for an MX track and even that can cause problems these days as 4T's have become more common.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:52 pm 
80 cc

Think mx/enduro track limits are at 92db these days. Around 86db road use (ish). There nothing much to gain from a loud pipe, but plenty to lose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:25 pm 

I used to ride with a fella who was a member of the TRF he had a WR250f changed the standard can for a power bomb header and end can. I felt guilty riding around with him this pipe was ridiculously loud. I told him so many times. He said he changed it for power gain and weight saving!!

For greenlaning? Really!! Most these bikes are fine left standard. Bash plates and all that I get all that. They are needed but silencers I think as best left standard.standard cans are actually £££'s to buy new so they must not be that bad...

Think he doesn't ride anymore as I saw his bike on eBay about 16 months ago....

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:35 pm 
125cc

I bought my drz with a full yoshimura rs system on it. its coming off after new year and I will replace with either a standard can or if I can find a aftermarket system that can hit 94bd ill accept that.

I'm a fan of loud cans on road bikes but for green laning its madness.

I'm going to a trf fun day in Dorset Sunday and I've bought some packing to try and muffle it best I can.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:05 pm 
125cc

I agree, loud pipes on road bikes is not a bad thing.
On dirt bikes however - no need.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:32 pm 
650 cc Monster

I'm not even sure about road bikes, to be honest.
Pedestrians are deaf and blind to bikes and most motorists don't see you even with twin lights on and they certainly won't hear you inside a car with the radio on.

And they annoy the hell out of residents when you can hear them for two miles when they go past your house/village.

Having said that, hybrid cars are lethal in towns as you can't hear them at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:41 pm 
125cc

davidscott wrote:
I'm not even sure about road bikes, to be honest.
Pedestrians are deaf and blind to bikes and most motorists don't see you even with twin lights on and they certainly won't hear you inside a car with the radio on.

And they annoy the hell out of residents when you can hear them for two miles when they go past your house/village.

Having said that, hybrid cars are lethal in towns as you can't hear them at all.

I'm a believer in loud cans save lives.....its saved mine once or twice. (plus theres a big kid hiding in me)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next