TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Beta 300 rr - can it go slow?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:50 pm 
50 cc

Firstly, apologies in advance but its another "what bike" thread

I'm getting new bike soon and have heart set on a Beta

I cant make my mind up between 350rr 4T or 300rr 2T

I really do want the beta 300 2t as it has the benefit of being easy to rebuild, its lighter and smaller etc but having had a go on a ktm 300 exc a couple years back, which just did not want to poodle anywhere - in fact it was possessed by the devil and just wanted to gallop everywhere at the slightest millimetre of extra throttle when you weren't expecting it, so I am worried that despite all the reviews saying the beta 300 is very easy to ride and very mellow compared to the ktm, I might find it hard to ride without that arm wrenching surging all the time like the ktm. Which I would hate

So for those who have them, can you give a heads up on this please?
Can you short shift it and find it easy to stay out of the powerband, or do they surge and wear you out like the ktm's when compared to a 350 4T?

For info I plan to use it for green laning (as paid up trf member on group rides), the odd enduro practice day and also some rallies (like the hafren rally and beacons rally)
My alternative choice is the beta 350rr which is a cracking bike will probably be easier to ride (maybe??) and better on road sections, but the thought of dropping a new 4T in one of the deep water sections on a rally, fills me with dread (another reason for the 2T)

All info appreciated

cheers

Post subject: Re: Beta 300 rr - can it go slow?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:57 pm 
200 cc

Don't be put off by a 2 stroke. I have a KTM 300 and it's a pussy cat.

Not sure if it's the same on the Beta but adjusting the power valve spring and carburetor jetting and needle completely change the characteristics..

I had a 350 4 stroke before and the 300 is just as smooth on the slow long ruts, etc.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:50 pm 
80 cc

Ive got 2016 300rr its sooo easy and smooth ride. Unlike a ktm which you have to change the spring in the power valve there is an allen bolt which you can turn to soften it off or make itmore aggressive.
Its so much lighter and responsive than my previous 350excf.
The icing on the cake for me is that its got autolube so no messing at the petrol station with oil,
Go for it you want regret it. Its also got a bullet proof starter motor, and great build quality
Cheers paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:19 pm 
50 cc

Thanks for the replies both

@woodgnome ... Is there enough grunt on your 300rr to do things like lighten the front wheel over ditches and the like, without going high revs and into powerband territory, or do you have to wind it up to get that amount of torque?

On a 4T, you can pretty much whack the throttle at low revs and have that amount of torque, meaning you can short shift everywhere but still get out of trouble easily with power on tap.

I suppose what I want to be able to do is ride the 300rr like a 4T and not be on the verge of looping the bike every time I wind things on a bit to get over an obstacle ..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:25 pm 
80 cc

if you're interested in a Beta 300, check out Barry Morris's Youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmh ... PJg/videos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:34 am 
50 cc

GDAS24 wrote:
if you're interested in a Beta 300, check out Barry Morris's Youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmh ... PJg/videos

Thanks, some good info there !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:30 pm 
80 cc

The 300rr is so easy to ride and a flick of the wrist gets the front wheel air born.
It really is a smooth bike the engine is so responsive, with out going into the power band ,but dont get me wrong here if you want to crack it open it will go with a bang, but all so control able. This bike will do everything you need, and alot more,
Watch barry morris's vids ,and make your own mind up,

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:07 am 
300 cc

I ride a 2 stroke 125 and never feel like it needs more. I am faster in it than any other bike because I am more confident on it. I have had a Ktm 300 and ridden the beta cross trainer. I prefer the beta mainly because it is smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]