TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Rear tyre woe
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:13 pm 
300 cc

Hello all,I'm having a spot of bother with my rear tyre not "popping on" to the bead on a short section both sides.the tyre is a mitas e-09,140/80-18,I have a HD tube inside I'm using plenty of lube and have been told to take it to 90psi but it still will not "pop".is it safe to take any higher or any other technique to try??

Mick

Post subject: Re: Rear tyre woe
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:27 pm 
400 cc

I'm probably stating the obvious, but is the security bolt loose enough?

Rod

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:31 pm 
125cc

Also probably stating the obvious, but hopefully your using a compressor as opposed to foot/hand pump, plenty of lube on rim and bead, and as a last resort, 10/15psi put in on your bike and ride, if it doesn't pop on with all that I've run out of ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:31 pm 
125cc

A bit of persuasion with a rubber mallet usually does the trick and bounce the tyre several times whilst inflating to settle and help seat it.

Hopefully that will do it!

;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:39 pm 
300 cc

No bolt on the wheel,and it's replacing the same size tyre,only difference is that the new tyre is made for tubeless and tubed rims so is a very rigid tyre.the rim has a very pronounced ridge just inside the rim so guessing this is what the tyre is snagging on,I just don't know how high I can safely take pressure up to to help it over the ridge.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:41 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Your tyre should pop on to the rim at a much lower pressure, without a cage I think that 90 psi is dangerous :o

I would try;

wear safety glasses and keep fingers well away from the wheel rim/tyre rim;

warm the tyre by placing it next to a radiator for a couple of hours;
hold the tyre vertically and try to walk sideways all the way around the inside of the tyre rim;
apply plenty of talcum powder/french chalk inside the tyre and around the tube;
apply fresh tyre soap around the rim and the edges of the bead of the tyre;
place a tourniquet type strap around the circumference of the tyre so as to force the sides outwards whilst preventing the tyre expanding radially;
leave the tyre valve out and as quickly as possible apply air pressure to about 45psi;
if the tyre is still failing to sit properly, try hitting the rim with a plastic/rubber faced mallet and the shock may assist;
the tyre should jump into place after which you can; tighten any rim clamp; release the air pressure; fit the valve core; re-inflate to what ever pressure you use (average is often 15-18psi front and 10-15psi rear depending upon marque and where you intend to ride); fit dust cap; mark alignment of tyre valve to rim position with tippex; leave for a while then retest tyre pressure.

Hope this suggested procedure helps.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:47 pm 
300 cc

rich1960 wrote:
Also probably stating the obvious, but hopefully your using a compressor as opposed to foot/hand pump, plenty of lube on rim and bead, and as a last resort, 10/15psi put in on your bike and ride, if it doesn't pop on with all that I've run out of ideas.

I was going to try riding on it when I get the chance if inflating fails....I am using a large floor standing hand pump capable of 160psi so it doesn't take long to inflate to 90psi and also keeps me fit(ish)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:51 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

A garage type tank compressor would be preferable as it could provide the volume of air at higher pressure and in particular at higher speed.

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:54 pm 
300 cc

Thanks Hugh I'll try anything!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:56 pm 
200 cc

i also would be tempted to take valve core out of valve stem and give it a direct blast from a workshop compresser not local garage one that does it in stages you need a quick fast blast of high pressure air while bouncing tyre up and down

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next