TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where do you wash your bike ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:22 pm 
300 cc

Thanks for the good Info Richard.

I usually stop off at the local BP garage and use their jet wash to take the worst of the mud off on my way home to save making too much mess on the drive / in the road.

Do you know if the shampoo that is in the 1st cycle has any of the worrying properties that you mentioned?

Thanks

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:25 pm 
300 cc

Hi Mike

Thanks for posting the images - that's serious damage.

Sorry about your bad luck.

When you first posted that you use the £5 guys I thought it was a great idea.

I still do really - couldn't you just ask them not to use the nasty spray stuff?

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:39 pm 
650 cc Monster

Jeez Mike, that's awful.
Since you first posted it, I've stopped taking my X3 to the local one and braved a DIY job at home again.

I'm lucky with the bike as I've got 9 acres of field to wash it in although there is more mud from the horses that are on there than there was on the lanes yesterday.

I usually hose the parts off, spray with Muc-off, rinse and run the bike to dry it off plus a microfibres cloth on the pretty bits.

I've never been one for pristine or show. As long as they are well looked after and don't look embarrassing, that's enough normally.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:40 pm 
650 cc Monster

LILY wrote:
Thanks for the good Info Richard.

I usually stop off at the local BP garage and use their jet wash to take the worst of the mud off on my way home to save making too much mess on the drive / in the road.

Do you know if the shampoo that is in the 1st cycle has any of the worrying properties that you mentioned?

Thanks

Steve

No, that stuff should be OK if properly rinsed. Some JW have a 'water-only' cycle you can select to just lift the worst mud off.

Never squirt the high-pressure water onto bearings, electrics, carbs or air filters...but it's ideal for mudguards, bashplates etc.

Post subject: Where do you wash your bike ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:28 pm 
400 cc

mike Irving wrote:

i dont wash the bike down at home as i am too lazy to get all the gear out and then clean the drive afterwards.

In the old day when i kept my toy cupboard at work ( 100 yrds down the road) it was all set up and no problem or i got one of the boys to do them. for the moment i have resorted to leaving them in the garage dirty.

Shocked at the pics, but you've said it yourself above

All my bikes are pristine - Trials/Trail and Enduro despite being used for their intended purpose

Nobody washes my bikes, except me and then I know it's done properly or I can kick my own arse

BTW I would use Muc Off either - that's too caustic

AutoGlym Car Shampoo and a bucket/sponge/hose and then thoroughly dried and then buffed up with silicon spray

Last edited by johnnyboxer on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:18 pm 
650 cc Monster

johnnyboxer wrote:
mike Irving wrote:

i dont wash the bike down at home as i am too lazy to get all the gear out and then clean the drive afterwards.

In the old day when i kept my toy cupboard at work ( 100 yrds down the road) it was all set up and no problem or i got one of the boys to do them. for the moment i have resorted to leaving them in the garage dirty.

All my bikes are pristine - Trials/Trail and Enduro despite being used for their intended purpose

Nobody washes my bikes, except me and then I know it's done properly or I can kick me own arse

AutoGlym Car Shampoo and a bucket/sponge/hose and then thoroughly dried and then buffed up with silicon spray

you are beginning to sound like my old granddad :D at 56 going on 57 i might yet change ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:42 am 
400 cc

mike Irving wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
mike Irving wrote:

Nobody washes my bikes, except me and then I know it's done properly or I can kick me own arse

you are beginning to sound like my old granddad :D at 56 going on 57 i might yet change ;)

Give it a go Mike

You may enjoy it :)

Nothing more satisfying after a good trail ride than washing all the mud off from a cracking ride, on the rear lawn/patio area - with a cold beer or mug of tea

Swilling all the mud off from a job well done by your bike

It allows you to see any damage/loose fixings & areas in need of attention

Then into the garage (more tea or beer) to dry her off - re lube everything & wipe down with silicon spray etc, to make her shine again

Note on paper any areas needing attention - controls/chain/air filter etc & stick it between the seat/tank as a memo for another day

It's actually therapeutic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:47 pm 
125cc

I forgot I even wrote this post. That must be some strong tfr that the boys used at the car washing place. I think seeing those photos will make people think twice about hand car washes. Especially if they have a 20k plus car.

Sent from my Bush 5" Android using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:46 am 
125cc

I am not allowed to wash my bike at home, have to take it to a garage pressure washer, £4 per go, even though my mum bought me a pressure washer years ago that is still working just fine :roll:

Also how long can you leave it before washing it? Just to think, all the surfaces will be treated so I guess a bit of mud won't corrode anything will it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:51 pm 
300 cc

Give it a go Mike

You may enjoy it :)

Nothing more satisfying after a good trail ride than washing all the mud off from a cracking ride, on the rear lawn/patio area - with a cold beer or mug of tea

Swilling all the mud off from a job well done by your bike

It allows you to see any damage/loose fixings & areas in need of attention

Then into the garage (more tea or beer) to dry her off - re lube everything & wipe down with silicon spray etc, to make her shine again

Note on paper any areas needing attention - controls/chain/air filter etc & stick it between the seat/tank as a memo for another day

It's actually therapeutic[/quote]

But all this may well endanger Mikes Sponsorship Deal with Steptoe and Son.

Last edited by tonylacey on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next