TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Riding after dark.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:38 pm 
80 cc

You could step down the voltafe easily with a buck Convertor. There's loads of options on eBay

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:59 pm 
650 cc Monster

Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
Or just buy a 12v light and save the cost of the battery :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:41 pm 
200 cc

I've been using auxiliary lights for years on the MCC trials and when it comes to bicycle lights you definitely get what you pay for , sadly you probably need to be spending nearer £200 to get stuff which will adequately light a trail at night . At this price level you can turn night into day. That said I always carry a set of ten quid Bobby dodgers in my ruck sack just in case everything else fails. It's good insurance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:56 pm 
650 cc Monster

Having used several expensive Mountain Bike lights, over £200, and ridden with others having lights costing above £400 I can speak with some authority on the amount of illumination given by these various lights. I might add that this is over a period of 10 years.

These expensive lights are excellent and do a really good job of turning night into day. They are also very well made and all have long lasting batteries.

However, I have now sold my expensive lights and bought the cheap and cheerful Cree lights + a couple of extra long lasting batteries. These cheap Cree lights are definately not well made and some only last a year or two while others are still perfect after 4 years. I keep a couple of spares - cos there cheap enough. The light output is way above almost all the very expensive lights.
I use one light on the bike and one on the helmet and they are easily moved from one bike to another.

Please feel free to buy whatever lights you like.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:10 pm 
200 cc

The Cree lights seem to get mixed reviews, very much in line with what Alan is saying. The lights I've had most experience with have been Lumicycle which for a few years seemed to have a technical edge. This stuff moves on so fast I've no idea whether Lumicycle is still a respectable name.
I've got four sets of Lumicycle lights, the oldest dating back to around 2000. In that time I've had one battery go duff and a couple of bulbs rattle themselves to pieces. Fifteen years use for a couple of hundred quid doesn't work out too bad from an economical point of view...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:19 pm 
650 cc Monster

Get the cheap ones with a single bulb/ reflector... Ok did three years ago....I now have three.. One as a spare.. But have never needed it... Don't waste your money on the 'dear' stuff , it will only light (en) your wallet...ps yes I do ride with Alan... And am thus hardcore/fit to answer this question...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2