TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Good bike upgrade from a KLX 300 R?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:23 pm 
80 cc

I currently have a Kawasaki KLX 300 R and in many ways it's been a great bike to introduce me to off-road riding and green laning (I dabble in light MX practice as well as trail riding).

However, there are a few things I don't love about the bike - first, no electric start. It's got much easier since getting the fuelling sorted - usually one or two kicks hot or cold, but it can still be a faff if I hot-stall (or I'm tired). It looks a bit dated, and things like after-market parts and decals are getting quite hard to come by.

The final issue is power. It has a claimed 33bhp, but I'd like more (for the road stints and to offset my love of pies). I've tried a few bikes. WR250F was lower power and very off-on (for a 4t), KLX250S was gutless and isn't remotely suitable for MX (cheap suspension, low ground clearance). I test rode a new KLX 450 but that was too much for me on track - loads of torque, I could barely get out of 2nd gear...

I recently rode a 2002 KTM 400 EXC and power-wise this was just right. 40bhp on paper, but delivered it in a smooth, manageable way - until asked for or at high revs.

I rather have a lower maintenance bike than a KTM - and I don't know if anyone does a similar, less "focused" bike anymore? All the 450 reviews (regardless of manufacturer) seem to be handfuls to control?

Post subject: Re: Good bike upgrade from a KLX 300 R?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:20 pm 
650 cc Monster

Yeah the KTM 400 is the go-to 'benign' big thumper as far as ease of use , don't think they are any worse than others maintenance wise... A few mates have them, and they seem pretty bulletproof (RFS ENGINE) I just got a 525, with a 400 RFS , with a big bore kit on it !( I know)... It has lovely smooth power , but if you need it , it's got bite... I love it ... Had a CRF 250x before.. The KTM is a lot less tiring to ride as you don't have to graft for the power... I am a 'big lad'...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:43 pm 
125cc

I was going to say the klx450r.....I rode one in wales a few months back and it is a little bit of a animal when you get a little over confident. but I found with a little self control it was a good trail bike with motox power if needed.

cheers
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:19 am 
80 cc

Joel wrote:
Yeah the KTM 400 is the go-to 'benign' big thumper as far as ease of use , don't think they are any worse than others maintenance wise... A few mates have them, and they seem pretty bulletproof (RFS ENGINE) I just got a 525, with a 400 RFS , with a big bore kit on it !( I know)... It has lovely smooth power , but if you need it , it's got bite... I love it ... Had a CRF 250x before.. The KTM is a lot less tiring to ride as you don't have to graft for the power... I am a 'big lad'...

Are newer ones (7 years old max) still benign?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:21 am 
80 cc

Nitew4tcher wrote:
I was going to say the klx450r.....I rode one in wales a few months back and it is a little bit of a animal when you get a little over confident. but I found with a little self control it was a good trail bike with motox power if needed.

cheers
Dan

I'd like to give the KLX 450 another go if possible - I haven't trail ridden on it. On a MX track the damn thing was wheelying up the launch faces of all the jumps - I couldn't ride the thing fast enough to moderate the power delivery...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:29 pm 
650 cc Monster

Gearing...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:31 pm 
650 cc Monster

Michael Ebbage wrote:
Joel wrote:

Are newer ones (7 years old max) still benign?

Not sure..Gray (SWTRF) has one so maybe he will chip in... Rode another mates once and that felt very useable... Possibly a bit flat...!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:18 pm 
125cc

I used to have one and loved it, the power was inbetween the ktm and honda 450s. Quite mellow low down but loads of grunt, more than you would ever need on the trails. The only down side for me was the extra weight, about 15kl heavier than the ktm. Very reliable and the seat not too high.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:36 am 
80 cc

KLX450r. Were shall I start.

You have to remove the exhaust downpipe to get the oil filter out.
This is on a bike that states the oil change interval is "after every race".

The carb can only be removed via the rear sub frame direction and you also have to undo the top of the rear shock.

The engine is derived from the MX version and 1st and 2nd gear are horrible for technical stuff.
I tried various combinations and never seemed to get it right.

The side panels rub on the frame and cut into it, badly.

My 2011 model was stolen and I replaced it with a well looked after 2005 KTM400EXC.

6 years older but far better bike with regard to build quality, ease of maintenance , handling, gearing etc.

Team orange for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:28 pm 

The klx450r wasn't very well received bit like the Suzuki rmx450

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]