TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: iPhone holder/bike mount
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:37 pm 
80 cc

Recommendation please for a reasonable unit for iPhone 5c what are folk using??
Cheers

Post subject: Re: iPhone holder/bike mount
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:19 pm 

otterbox do one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:17 am 
300 cc

I got one of these from eBay..

Item number... 150610985845

I use ViewRanger on my daughters old now upgraded iPhone 3GS ...
They also do a charger that connects onto the battery terminals or feed to headlamp on. 2 stroke..

Case fits to bars with supplied bracket, shock and water proof..touch screen works through holder case.. Power feed to phone is sealed and waterproof..

I've dropped the bike, on mud and snow and in water and phone is fine...

Takes seconds to take out the case... I put the charger unit in the air box cable tied to the air filter wire retainer.. Been on the bike for three years now..never had a problem..

Cut a slot in my riding gloves under the 1st joint of the index finger so I can slip it out to use the touch screen with a clean non gritty finger..

I've even used the phone to take video by turning the case vertically as it has a bespoke rear camera window... Bit shakey as its a 4 stroke but ok..but a new phones have anti shake software steady shot for video...

But a £40 eBay second hand or refurbished iPhone 3 gs makes a very good satnav for road work and OS mapping GPS with ViewRanger..
They do cases for most size handsets now...

You can also u clip the case from the bar mount and use it as a phone without taking the phone out the case.. So it never gets dirty.

I did get it to work with a blue tooth ear set in the helmet to run satnav voice directions on the road and view OS ViewRanger on the screen with both apps working at the same time... Worked ok but gave me ear ache after a few hours.. I suspect there is a switchable bike intercom ear speaker that would work on Bluetooth but not investigated it yet.. Being happy to simply switch between satnav and viewranger for silent screen directions on the road...with the phone constantly charged it's almost perfect...

Oh and the charging cables are also waterproof with rubber cap seals when not connected to the phone and rubber case gasket seals to the phone cable.. Well worth the £40 some charge for case and charger...

I tried one of the cheaper soft zip up cases before but they are not as good as these hard cases nor as water proof..

2005 KTM 525MXC (34,000 miles so far)
2005 KTM 250EXC (11,500 miles so far)
BMW R100 awaiting time to convert to 1980's HPN GS PD Replica.
All useful parts wanted ;)
Need :USD DRZ E front end complete & GS petrol tank.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:55 pm 
650 cc Monster

ANDY.T wrote:
Cut a slot in my riding gloves under the 1st joint of the index finger so I can slip it out to use the touch screen with a clean non gritty finger..

Hi Andy

Save your gloves;

Sew a few loops of this into your swipe finger leaving a conductive tail into your finger.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-11yd-Cond ... SwQTVV7glY

Alternatively happy to post you a conductive / capacative pen.

Regards

Mario

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:31 pm 
80 cc

Many thanks Andy for taking the time to put together that very much informative post, appreciate your comments and recommendations very much, if I were to hard wire a fly lead straight to the battery( not an easy option on a freeride) lol the drain on the battery will only occur when the phone jack is plugged in? and the bike would be running anyhow so that should be fine? The freeride has had some issues with battery power on the early models, mine has lithium battery so I'm guessing I'll be fine? I am considering a dedicated GPS like satmap with mm, 50% off full GB at moment so in the market for a sensible price GPS
Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:46 pm 
400 cc

Get yourself a Montana 600 rather than a Sat map, as miles better.

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:25 pm 
80 cc

Hi Gray

Yeah would love one of those, great bit of kit, only accountant (wife) won't allow me, lol
What's the entry level garmins like etrex 10/20/30 anybody using one?
Ta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:27 am 

Just bought this one 301693189620 soon see what it's like

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:16 pm 
50 cc

Miketo ........ I use an older Etrex 10, but be aware, on a trail bike it's at best, but a very accurate, digital compass, with full trip and log functions, speedo etc: very easily read in bright sunlight. I configure mine to show OS Grid six figure references. These can be stored ( waypoints) then manually dropped onto a paper map after the ride, or Garmin Basecamp. Excellent way of recording lane start and ends. Because my digital speedo is time expired, I've mounted a small, square, car based Garmin Sat Nav behind the headlight, which was cheap off EBay. Powered by a USB socket fitted to the headlamp mounting side. ( Can charge the phone and GoPro while opt, too ! ) This features as an easy route finder between villages when you're outside your home area, and using Basecamp you can plan a route to the start / end of lanes although when on a lane it often won't show as being on a road.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:01 pm 
80 cc

I got a quadlock a little while ago, and I like it a lot. You keep the case on your phone, and then put the mounts wherever you want. I've got a couple on my bicycles, one on my motorcycle, and will probably get one for the car, too.

For
[*] Case is really sturdy. I'm great at dropping things.
[*] Stays right in place, with very little wobble.
[*] Really easy to lock in and out, but won't come off in a crash.
[*] Can use the mounts all over the place. I've actually 3D printed some.
[*] Rain cover you can use the screen through.

Against
[*] It's effing expensive.
[*] Cover is pretty bulky to have on all of the time.
[*] Screen isn't super responsive through the rain cover.
[*] You're restricted to mounting to the bars, unless you're creative.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]