TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Summer tyres for Mid Wales
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:27 pm 
50 cc

Evening all

Planning a trip Green Laning in Mid Wales in August and pondering tyre choice.

It's the first time riding in Wales, normally riding in sandy East Anglia. My current tyres are about 40% worn.
Does the type of terrain in Wales, mid summer, warrant a new set or will it be reasonably dry and and a new set will get ripped to bits on hard rocky trails?

Ralph

Post subject: Re: Summer tyres for Mid Wales
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:41 am 
125cc

A lot of trails in Wales are never dry, and Wales is notorious for sudden torrential rain, so even in Summer good enduro tyres are needed if you want to do all levels of the trails, and not get too stuck!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:47 am 
650 cc Monster

If it were me I'd ride without changing my tyres. 60% life left in them sounds good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:44 pm 
200 cc

You don't actually need enduro tyres to ride in Wales. I ride in Wales very frequently [at least one a week] and use Pirelli MT43 trials tyres. I'm sure if you've got plenty of tread left on whatever you've already got they'll get you to where you want to go.
On some of the Welsh trails it's irrelevant whether you've got enduro tyres, trials tyres , sand tyres, slicks or full wets...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:05 pm 
400 cc

Been riding in the Llangollen area today an the preferred choice of tyre was a trial bike tyre. Not knobbly ones. This area is dry stone/slate/rocks. Very little mud and not much sitting water.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:46 am 
80 cc

I think you spoke to me on the phone, but in case it was someone different, keep the worn tyres. Most routes are gravel and rock, and worn enduro tyres are better than new ones on a rough route like Happy Valley. Trials tyres fine, or Pirelli MT21s.

Marianne

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]