TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana 600
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:41 pm 
80 cc

are the 1:25k better for the green lanes?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:13 am 
80 cc

AlwynMike wrote:
alliasjay wrote:
I'm looking into getting hold of a Montana 600 just searching the internet for a good deal, unless someone here has one they no longer use ;)

I have seen one here for £263 without maps mind. Doesn't seem to bad a price for a new one, if you can source the maps cheaper.

How often do the maps get updated?

Might just wait for a used one. £175 does sound better as it might get a little roughed up anyway.

Have a look at http://www.navi-technology.co.uk Search for Montana (don't put in Garmin). In the results will be a Montana with maps for £299. Print the page and take it to your local Go Outdoors, and they will price match it plus 10%. The maps are 2011and if there is an offer for cheap 1:25k OS maps, it is expired!
Worked for me!!

At the moment, I prefer the Viewranger interface to the Garmin, but I may get used to it with practice

Mike

I did call them to query this and they said that they didn't believe it was valid or something. So I may just nip into a store with the printed page(s) and see what they say. Can't hurt to try. Although how many pages did you end up printing? :p

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:40 am 
300 cc

Just one. Made sure the web address was on, as well as the price and "in stock". No quibbles in store. Manager was unsure if it was like-for-like because of the money off deal for the 1:25k maps (a Go Outdoors special) but he put it through anyway. It was when I got home I discovered that the deal had expired. If they bring that up as an excuse to not give the Price Match, tell them that the deal is out of date.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:47 am 
200 cc

The standard 1:50 map is fine - 1:25 is too detailed for trail riding and adds no value

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:58 am 
200 cc

ExR1 wrote:
Had a bit of a play with base camp. The track I used returns to the same starting point so about half way or the point I thought I would be starting the return I used the scissor tool to cut the track in half and renamed the two tracks so I can load them one at a time for me this solved the problem of crossing over tracks. In base camp I also gave each track its own colour though I do not know if the Garmin can display two different colour tracks at the same time.

You can't change the colour on the Montana unit for a track.

Also, not sure why there is the concern about a track crossing over - if it crosses over, you go straight on!! If a track comes to an intersection where you will return later in the ride and you are turning right (for example), then you just plot the track with a gap between the return track.

When you plot a track you define where the line is - for example, to the right of the lane or to the left of the lane. IT IS NOT LIKE A SAT NAV!!! It will not plot a track on the left hand side of a dual carriageway!!! You are plotting the line. Therefore you define where the line is at a junction and if the lines cross you go straight over.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:03 am 
650 cc Monster

alliasjay wrote:
are the 1:25k better for the green lanes?

Absolutely not

IMHO - far too detailed ans distracting (to the point of dangerous) especially on a bike -cant see the wood for the trees.

Stick with 1:50 if you are buying new. I have removed !;25 for a device in the past .

Of course !;20 is needed for DMMO work but there are alternatives to enable this including a screen print where appropriate and permissable.

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:30 pm 
80 cc

Managed to get myself a Montana 600 today. Annoyingly now that I am home testing it for some reason the battery that came with the garmin doesn't want to power up the device.

An hours journey to get to that store, bit cheeky as I could do with it for Saturday.

Regular batteries work, but is a bit of a pain.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:44 pm 
200 cc

alliasjay wrote:
Managed to get myself a Montana 600 today. Annoyingly now that I am home testing it for some reason the battery that came with the garmin doesn't want to power up the device.

An hours journey to get to that store, bit cheeky as I could do with it for Saturday.

Regular batteries work, but is a bit of a pain.

Put it on charge for a while. Check the battery is in correct. It should work, they are very reliable

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:53 pm 
80 cc

when the device is off and plugged in... should there be some sort of symbol on screen or a light saying its charging?
It's currently plugged in with the battery in and in the top right hand corner (switched on btw) I'm just getting a green plug sign. Maybe it is charging
and the battery was just dead as a door knob.

Or maybe I should read the..... Gulp... manual.

Edit... nope no symbols in there... neither can I find any online.

Is this the charging symbol? Doesn't quite look like the normal charge, looks more like working from just regular power cable.

Attachments:
20151203_221405_resized.jpg
20151203_221405_resized.jpg [ 232.4 KiB | Viewed 11340 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:23 pm 
300 cc

What are you charging it with? A proper charger will allow the unit to switch on. If you connect with a data cable - to charge from your PC for instance, all you get is the USB symbol, and I'm not sure if it charges much like that. I got a new (spare) battery for mine today. As I plugged the charger in, it only had 13% charge. Now it's at 100%, just the green battery symbol, no lightning bolt or similar as you may expect. You can switch off and it will still charge. With a data cable, you can't do anything with the unit.

Manual - what's that???

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next