TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Garmin Montana 600
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:31 pm 
300 cc

What I would do now. Is copy and paste the map info from the os map card into a folder on your desk top and then copy it across to a new blank 4gb sd card which you leave in your pc. The copied info will work in base camp but not on a device (as it's lock protected) but it Saves you plugging in the device every time you want to look at the os maps in basecamp or having to remove the card and putting it in your pc. Make sure you COPY it do not Cut or delete it! Strange but basecamp will only read the data from an sd card you/ or I can't seem to get it to see the deck top file with it in only the sd card.

Have a flick through the tutorials on YouTube and start by creating some folders and list files.
I'd suggest one file for every county and one for planning and one for recording what you rode when you get back.

The key to remember is you can move data from folder to folder and it will be visible in all folders. So If you have all your green lanes for say Wiltshire in its own folder you can temporarily send all them to the planning folder to do a route, then remove them and they'll still be in the wilts folder, likewise when you're done you can send the planned route to another folder to record it and then remove it from the planning folder to keep that empty for next time.
If you remove daya from a folder then it won't be deleted it will be in its original location or if there isn't one it will be in the unlisted data folder. This is of course Unless you actually delete it, then it will be lost.
Back up basecamp periodically as it does hang sometimes on my laptop using windows 10 if I've been doing a lot of plotting. But it is an old lappy.

Plan your rides as tracks as routes are a bit cluttered for my liking and sometimes will keep sending you back to a road in a zig zag fashion.

https://youtu.be/kDyh1AsndVw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Garmin Montana 600
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:27 pm 
80 cc

So can I put in a start point for argument sake in Manchester and put a fin point in Liverpool.and just mark up any lanes between the to points or does the Montana just plot a way through itself when in of road mode or do I have to create a route on base camp before every ride?
Sorry if that sounds daft!but I've never used one before.

Post subject: Garmin Montana 600
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:44 pm 
300 cc

It will do you a route as a black top sat nav I think.

You can plot the track in the device but it's easier on the pc.

You put in your start point and where you want to turn onto a lane etc. It won't plan you a route from A2B off road for you. You have to do that bit yourself.

Treat it more as a map with a line on it rather than your conventional sat nav.

You need to highlight the lanes and then pencil and plan your trip.

So yea. You plan every route yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:07 pm 
80 cc

Thanks for that I'm go a have a fiddle with it this week and see how get on.looking forward to see if there's any lanes I didn't know about round here.
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 pm 
50 cc

Top tip..... if ever you break your Montana 600 (I did, it flew out the cradle on a fire road in wales), checkout their exchange service..... cost about £100 and they provided me with a brand new unit in exchange, complete with a new 12 month warranty.
Another reason to buy Garmin.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:03 pm 
300 cc

chrisv wrote:
Top tip..... if ever you break your Montana 600 (I did, it flew out the cradle on a fire road in wales), checkout their exchange service..... cost about £100 and they provided me with a brand new unit in exchange, complete with a new 12 month warranty.
Another reason to buy Garmin.
Chris

That's Good to know,

I had issues with my screen digitiser. I pulled it apart and cleaned the seals and contacts and it's all good, it's simple enough and new digitiser(which I bought but never fitted) was cheap on eBay.

It also seemed that a software upgrade might have solved the issue.

Fortunately for me garmin he is only 8 mile up the road from me so if needed I can just drop it off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:49 pm 
80 cc

So just bought a Montana any idea how long it will run off of the lithium battery.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:22 pm 
300 cc

My Post from Facebook Saturday on the same subject.

It wasn't totally unfamiliar territory but it was tapped every junction. Even with light off screen was visible.

Quote:

FYI. 8.30am power up today. 30% back light, 15 second time out. 80% backlight from 3pm with a lot of use, same time out. Just about to turn it off 19.30.Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:47 am 
80 cc

So it should do a day on the lanes just from the battery then.
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:05 pm 
300 cc

As long as you're not having the light on too much. With no light it lasts 2-3 days.
Take 3 AAs as a back up in your bag or buy a second battery. I always carry a fully charged spare Justin case. One day it went flat after 3 hours and I realised backlight was on 100% permanent.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next