TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: BETA ALP 4.0 - a trailbike
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:38 pm 
80 cc

OK, update on my Beta Alp....

Having fully checked/cleaned the carb, filters, drained tank and corrected oil level I still have a problem. The bike ran fine for 40kms and then cut out three times in quick succession. It then started and ran fine for the 10kms journey home.

I have two possible ideas of what is the fault.

1. The side stand sensor - on a couple of occasions when putting into gear to set off with the stand up the bike has stalled. This is making me think that the safety switch could be a fault and when out riding it might be getting incorrectly activated leading to the engine suddenly dying. Is there a way to bypass this switch so I can rule this out?

2. There is a wire from the fuel on/off tap that is not connected to anything. What does this do? I am wondering if it should be connected up and by not being so I am getting a fuel starvation issue.

Any advice welcome!

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:00 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings Thomas,

Sidestand and clutch switches are horrendously unreliable on any machine taken off tarmac. Don't get me wrong they are fine as safety items in their own right but just add to the complexity in an adverse environment. Mine are both disconnected and the ends double sealed in heat shrink wrap, held against the frame out of harms way by a plastic cable tie.

The fuel level switch and wiring should cause the problem that you are having. The fuel level warning light leads had already been cut off from the switch on my bike so I bought a replacement tap without switch, but more useful to my mind, with a reserve facility plus filter from Steve Goode Motorcycles; 01938 850544
http://www.stevegoodemotorcycles.co.uk Mention my name and he may remember the one he sent me, alternatively measure the distance between bolt centres and the pipe outlet diameter. I wouldn't trust a light as they are so unreliable.

If you suspect petrol starvation through possible dirt from the bike having stood for so long then fit an extra line filter into the petrol pipe, remember that they work in one direction only so check for an identification arrow on the filter body. I do not have one on mine, simply rely on the tap filter. I think that the tank vents through the filler cap as I could not find any other breather system.

Does the engine restart immediately after you come to rest? Or does it require cranking?

Another 'characteristic' of the Suzuki power unit is wear to the thrust washers on either side of the clutch basket. If the washers wear, and it is only slightly, then the clutch does not fully disengage and you can have problems engaging gear from neutral or neutral from gear when the bike comes to a stop.nIt is a really easy job and one that I would recommend even if the mileage is low. The only 'special' tool required is a clutch holder but a universal grip type is suitable and they are cheap enough to buy if you don't have access to one.

I made a PowerPoint presentation about the clutch thrust washer change but it is too large for the Forum to handle, if you want a copy then send me your personal email address and I will send you a copy. (If anybody else reading would like a copy you too or if somebody has a method of reducing the file size).

Now you have plenty to check so put the computer down and get your spanners to work.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:12 pm 
80 cc

Hello Hugh and thanks again for your advice.

To answer your question, the bike restarts straight away on all of the occasions it has died to the point of stalling (3 times so far). Some times I could be riding along at 50 mph, the engine suddenly dies (as if switched off) and after maybe 3-6 seconds in comes back to life by which time the speed may have dropped to 20 mph.

I will start by disconnecting the stand sensor switch to rule that out first and then look at the other items suggested. Did you just shrink wrap the whole sensor switch (a circular type switch on mine) and tuck it up out of the way or if the switch is faulty and, for example, engaging from vibration/movement, does in need removing completely?

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:56 pm 
650 cc Monster

Thomas,

Remove the side stand switch completely is my advice, ensure that the wires can not short to each other and then seal them into shrink wrap sleeve. Do the same with the leads which fit to the clutch lever switch. You can leave the clutch switch in place, it will make no difference once the leads are disconnected and isolated at the handlebar end.

I assume that the lights and all other circuits are operational even though the engine dies?

Check the fuses and battery connections are all clean and secure, I disconnected all the connections that I could find, really cleaned them out with B&C spray then coated them with silicon grease before reconnecting. I also stripped the switch gear as my indicators and horn would not work properly, the spring loaded parts were corroded and needed a really good clean up. I spray them now with aerosol lube after every post ride wash.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 am 
650 cc Monster

TGJR wrote:
Hello Hugh and thanks again for your advice.

To answer your question, the bike restarts straight away on all of the occasions it has died to the point of stalling (3 times so far). Some times I could be riding along at 50 mph, the engine suddenly dies (as if switched off) and after maybe 3-6 seconds in comes back to life by which time the speed may have dropped to 20 mph.

I will start by disconnecting the stand sensor switch to rule that out first and then look at the other items suggested. Did you just shrink wrap the whole sensor switch (a circular type switch on mine) and tuck it up out of the way or if the switch is faulty and, for example, engaging from vibration/movement, does in need removing completely?

Thomas

Fuel tank breather?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:49 pm 
80 cc

Fuel breather pipe appears clear.

I have removed the side stand switch by unplugging it at the connector under the seat, however, this leaves the switch active (won't go into gear without cutting out engine) so I assume the pair of remaining wires need connecting together to form a loop?

Does the wire then go to a relay as I could hear a clicking as I moved it around?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:29 pm 
80 cc

I think the job is sorted!

Disconnected the side stand switch and just been for a 20 mile run out with no cutting out so hopefully that is what the problem was. I did notice when I was checking the switch when still connected to the bike that as you turned the switch you could hear the relay click, however, on some occasions when turning the switch the relay would 'chatter' which suggested a dodgy connection in the switch.

Thanks for the help and advice on this one. The question now is whether to get a new switch or just leave it without.

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:02 pm 
650 cc Monster

Thomas,

Pleased to learn that the problem may have been sorted out by isolating the side stand switch.

I guess the dichotomy is safety - vs - reliability.

Only you can make that choice, I do not use such switches on my trail bikes but others might. Pays your money and takes your choice :!:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:46 pm 
80 cc

Another problem!

As mentioned in last post the bike ran fine for a 20 mile run. A few days later I went to start it for another ride out and would not start. Previously it had started from cold immediately with choke and no throttle. This time it just kept turning over for a good 30 secs then started but only for about 5 secs before dying.

So far I have checked plug for a spark which it has and removed the carb to check for muck. Also confirmed fuel in carb by opening the drain screw at the base.

Any ideas on what to check next appreciated. Not having much luck with this bike as yet but will persevere!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:10 pm 
650 cc Monster

Hugh. If you save your PowerPoint as a pdf file (Use "save as" option and select .pdf as file type ). you should be able to upload it without problem to the forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next