TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Head injuries - closed face vs full face helmets
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:20 pm 
200 cc

There's no ideal trail bike, no ideal GPS and no ideal helmet. Which is why we can debate these subjects to such extents.

I have an open face for trials/horse trials/horse endurance events, a full face for trail riding and a flip front for road rides. Oh and no helmet on my pushbike.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:07 pm 
200 cc

ANDY.T wrote:
So why would anyone really want to wear an open face helmet..

Err, because I'm an adult and perfectly capable of making my own risk assessments ...thus far it's stood me in good stead for the past forty years riding.

A recent study from [I think] a Swedish university came to the conclusion that whilst an open face helmet increased the risk of serious facial injury, open face helmets actually reduced the risk of fatal injury when compared to a full face. Apparently the human face is a very effective shock absorber, more so than the chin bar on a full face helmet. Gruesome but apparently true.

I usually wear a full face on the track and on the road but I always wear an open face for trail riding. It's just a personal thing. It's a matter of free choice and I wouldn't presume to judge other peoples preferences.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:13 am 
125cc

http://youtu.be/o_0fUTO6JH8

I DON'T wear an open face helmet !

Though can understand using one for something like horse trials where you are constantly talking to people and going VERY slowly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:18 pm 
125cc

One thing no one has mentioned yet.

Open face helmets look old fashioned but full face helmets look cool. Especially full face off road helmets. If the bicycle version wasn't so expensive due to lighter materials I would get one for cycling as well :twisted:

Having said that, open face helmets look right on an old school bike like a café racer but wouldn't look right on a modern bike.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:09 pm 
125cc

SPOT ON FLYYNNN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:16 pm 
80 cc

Am I missing something here?, does everyone not use the full face mx style with goggles? :shock:

I have a couple of full face with visor helmets but never wear them with the dirt bike, although lately at five in the morning when it's been cold and raining I have questioned that!

I have never owned anything I'd consider open faced, or even thought about it, they always remind me of my sisters riding hats :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:22 pm 
125cc

I don't use an MX helmet with goggles but one with a face shield. The perfect compromise, I can't think of any advantages googles would have, apart from looking a bit cooler and more hardcore, but the type with the face shield looks almost as good whilst being more practical.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:47 pm 
200 cc

jonpaul1st wrote:
Stanleyman wrote:
I think I saw a recent advert in BIKE magazine for a flip adventure style helmet with visor?
Pretty sure it was a 'Caberg?'..

It's a french firm, Caberg is french for Cabbage - which is what happens to bikers that crash wearing an openface lid.

It's stating the bleedin' obvious to say open face helmets carry an element of extra risk. If you want to extrapolate that particular line of thinking you must be aware that riding a two wheel vehicle on trails is inherently more risky than driving a 4x4. But you choose to ride a bike because , as an intelligent person, you have weighed up the risks and feel riding the bike is an acceptable risk versus reward. Some of us on here have made a similar risk assessment regarding open face helmets.
For the record caberg isn't French for cabbage, but let's not let facts get in the way of an opportunity to pontificate to a group of people old enough and intelligent enough to make an informed choice.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4