TRF Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: The quest for the perfect TRF Trail Riding Helmet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:27 am 
650 cc Monster

I know this is difficult but I am now looking for the next Trail riding Helmet

I ave been impressed by the open face trials helmets with flip visors used by my riding buddies on the Coast to Coast.

I am not happy with my full face enduro helmet helmet which was bought for protection and value for money rather than usability.

• I can’t talk to other oncoming trail users
• I can’t see other riders faces to understand what they are saying
• I don’t like the black colour – preferring white.

I progress with my riding and the road risks become more understood - I am willing to sacrifice protection for usability.

My thinking is talking to other users through open face helmets is in certainly during good weather riding and is paramount in sustainable riding.

Keith Dobson who has earlier this year offered me & the TRF thought leadership here and will be writing the Sustainability part of the communications plan & member benefits.

http://trf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=17260&hilit=+communications&sid=1ae7007a919b738b3478eb432d63d634

He has proposed in his words;

Givi HPS X.01, my helmet of choice.
Has a peak for shading your eyes when you emerge from the undergrowth into the bright sunlight.
Sun visor.
Face shield.
removeable / Attachable Darth Vader chin piece for long rides to and from the trails.

Attachment:
File comment: Givi helmet
$_12 (1).JPG
$_12 (1).JPG [ 24.71 KiB | Viewed 12489 times ]

I also like the Hebo Zone 3 that is half the weight and half the price - but misses out on the removable chin piece and sunvisor and integrated bluetooth capability.

Attachment:
mp20IPqtxmYw4-08_K-SWvQ.jpg
mp20IPqtxmYw4-08_K-SWvQ.jpg [ 6.4 KiB | Viewed 12489 times ]

Currently I will probably get both the Hebo for summer trail riding riding and the Givi for winter & bike bike trail riding.

Whatever it is I will want to have it TRF liveried to identify myself as a TRF rider.

Any other suggestions before I start shopping?

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

Post subject: Re: The quest for the perfect TRF Trail Riding Helmet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:56 am 
125cc

i am on the hunt for a new helmet also

looks good i will investigate this :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:08 pm 
650 cc Monster

I would suggest that TRF does not advocate the use of open face helmets.

Some areas may be blessed with sufficient mileage and coherence of lanes to reduce the assosciated risks of using helmets that provide inferior protection. In other areas the overwhelming majority of the mileage will be on hazardous tarmac roads that are known to be hotspots for biker accidents.

The individual member should be left to make their own choice as to how they wish to dress for the most hazardous part of the journey, which is always the tarmac.

I recall looking into this when I first started trailriding and found that 70% of fatal head injuries to bikers occur at less than 40mph.

By labelling open face as "sustainable" the inference is that closed face are unsustainable and innapropriate. That's not a good thing to do given that the majority of riders wear closed face and will continue to do so.

In order to have any significant impact on sustainability, one would have to meet a lot of other users whiclst wearing open face (notwithstanding the fact that you can make an equally positive imression with a closed face). It's extremely rare to meet other users when trailriding and would be a stuggle to realise any alledged benefits.

The ideal trailriding lid is the same as the ideal cycling lid/bobble hat/horseriding lid, which is whatever works for the individual using it. Other users don't need dress codes and neither do we.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:50 pm 
650 cc Monster

Quote:
Other users don't need dress codes and neither do we

We are going to have to differ on this one Jon

Individuals will have free choice to dip in or ignore the "TRF look" - but there will be one - due to popular demand.

Indentifying ourselves as professional and responsible is linked to sustainability and "the look" being developed is guidance in this area.

You may not wish or choose to participate - but others certainly do;

I will set up a separate thread on this;

http://trf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=17448&sid=b6d825c88b20014b6fe6b6e1c0debcb2

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:41 pm 
650 cc Monster

mario.costasa wrote:
Quote:
Other users don't need dress codes and neither do we

We are going to have to differ on this one Jon

Individuals will have free choice to dip in or ignore the "TRF look" - but there will be one - due to popular demand.

Indentifying ourselves as professional and responsible is linked to sustainability and "the look" being developed is guidance in this area.

You may not wish or choose to participate - but others certainly do;

I will set up a separate thread on this;

http://trf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=17448&sid=20a23de01eef2dabb6aa4412693fe133

The trouble with dress codes is that they lead to divisiveness. Trailriders pitching up for a ride in non TRF dress code risk being made to feel unwelcome. Whilst I'm no fan of mx gear for trailriding I wouldn't want riders to feel unwelcome because of their choice to wear it.

"Popular demand" surely has to be in the context of trailriders as a whole? TRF members or not. The majority of responsible trailriders do not wear open face lids and are unlikely to be attracted to an organisation with a dress code that advocates using them.

There is equal merit in having a campaign to promote trailriders safety, that includes a reccomendation for closed face lids. After all a major attraction of trailriding is that enables riders to potter about safely enjoying the countryside. This isn't possible on tarmac roads and was a factor in overturning proposals to close stonehenge byways.

There won't be a TRF look if members wear what they like. Members like closed face lids, trailriders even more so.

There's plenty of trailriders that go out looking "ready to race" and then trailride impeccably.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:26 pm 
300 cc

Shorely it's not about what you wear while out riding , though I am a strong believer that we do need something to identify us as trf riders it's got to be morebon how you ride, as for full or open face helmets I don't think we should be swaying riders to either as it's down to individual choice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:03 pm 
650 cc Monster

In trail riding as in everything else in life, good manners are far more important than what you wear.

ATM I wear an £80 MX helmet from the dirt bike show.

An HG Tuareg jacket from the remnants bin from the time before the time before they last went bust.

Some old MX jeans from the dirt bike show

and some MX boots which may also have come from the dirt bike show.

I'm only interested in what's safe and practical, I don't want a 'corporate' look.

I do have a little TRF sticker on each of my bikes, but no interest in anything more. I'm always polite and stop and talk to folk. No other user group wears a uniform and I don't see why we should either.

But, if people feel happy wearing a TRF-branded shirt of whatever, good luck to them. My one worry is that someone from the 'get out of my way this is a Fu*king road' school of trail riding might wear one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:21 pm 
300 cc

I do think you are getting a bit carried away using the word uniform Richard I don't think Mario was thinking that we all had to be cloned into wearing the same helmet jacket trousers boots gloves etc just some thing to be identified as a responsible trf user of the lanes I don't think we need to worry about what the knob head riders are wearing ;) ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:20 pm 
125cc

this will always come down to personal preference. after all the head is the most important part to protect, laws were passed through government due to this. some will go for protection,others for its ease of use others for style. style of riding is what draws attention to riders or what makes us blend seamlessly into the background.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:18 pm 
650 cc Monster

for my Tuppence worth…. :roll:

I agree that an Open face helmet may make it easier to communicate but for general trail riding i will continue to wear a full face one. early in my motorcycling career a friend of mine went through a hedge at 30 mph. when i got to him his cheeks were cut right through. ( the least of his problems because he also lost the use of his legs).

Last week though at a horse event i felt that an open face helmet might be more appropriate and i may get one for that. Choaice of helmet should remain personal choice and if anyone asked me for advise i will recommend Full face with a visor not goggles.

As for identity…….i think it would be a good idea to identify ourselves but would stop short of a uniform, except for those occasions when it would be good to be clearly TRF.

I also think that we should have a range of practical equipment, use the advantage of bulk buying and have a cost effective range of good quality kit which makes safety wear cheaper and available for all. So in my view this is a good initiative. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next