TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The quest for the perfect TRF Trail Riding Helmet
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:34 pm 
200 cc

I'll tell you what I don't want from a helmet and that's bloody Bluetooth compatibility! One of the reasons I go trail riding is to get a bit of peace and quiet and for me that means no mobile devices. I carry a phone [switched off] in case of dire emergency and that's the only concession I'll make regarding mobile communications. I've banned devices from my rides ever since somebody on one of my rideouts asked me to ensure we would be in a location at 4pm which could guarantee a good signal so he could take a conference call! Give me a break.
I go trail riding to switch off from the modern world, not to switch it on! :D :D :D

One of the great pleasures about getting older is I feel I've earned the right to be a curmudgeon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:45 pm 
650 cc Monster

Absolutely Rob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:46 pm 
650 cc Monster

Rob Dixon wrote:
I'll tell you what I don't want from a helmet and that's bloody Bluetooth compatibility! One of the reasons I go trail riding is to get a bit of peace and quiet and for me that means no mobile devices. I carry a phone [switched off] in case of dire emergency and that's the only concession I'll make regarding mobile communications. I've banned devices from my rides ever since somebody on one of my rideouts asked me to ensure we would be in a location at 4pm which could guarantee a good signal so he could take a conference call! Give me a break.
I go trail riding to switch off from the modern world, not to switch it on! :D :D :D

One of the great pleasures about getting older is I feel I've earned the right to be a curmudgeon.

One of my favourites is when I'm asked "What time will we be back?".....

Let me think.......I'm taking 5 riders I've never ridden with, who's ability is a mystery, the condition of the lanes is often a mystery, let alone the amount of mishaps, someone is bound to break down (there's always at least one Japanese bike) and it seems there's scope for punctures as the advice to use mousses has been ignored..........

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:17 am 

Rob Dixon wrote:

I know this is an old thread but I would rather not start a new one. See I am the opposite.When we ride in a group of 3 of us we all have the same Bluetooth headsets that you can communicate rider to rider with. I find them really handy. I like to be connected.

Not taking conference calls and all that Jazz but just to be able to speak with other mates who I am out with. If someone goes up ahead and there is a horse then they warn the others...Horse! ahead or 4X4....Don't you think that's a good idea though?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:07 pm 
125cc

Full face for me on the road and trails. I have had many branches in the face. Split my nose a few times, but still have my teeth and never needed to eat through a straw due to a broken jaw. And I'm not the only one, my regular riding buddies have suffered similar injuries, while using a full face lid and thanked our lucky stars they we wearing them. I can see the benefit when trials riding in open spaces and no tarmac.
Stay safe and Merry Christmas all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:09 pm 
400 cc

jonpaul1st wrote:
Said stuff.

100% agree with John.

To be honest if the TRF started to specify what I should wear, I would not renew my membership!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:14 pm 
400 cc

Last edited by spitfire on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:42 pm 
50 cc

By all means have an opinion on choice of helmet but please don't go down the road of preferred dress code like type of helmet. I have seen people seriously damage there face with open face helmets I wear a Motocross style for my protection not for image and the peak is to deflect objects like branches more so than to keep the sun out of your eyes we are in the Uk , SUN i ask you? LOL But having a preferred TRF style of helmet will only make some members feeling excluded which wont do much for the membership. It is bad enough other users finding fault with trail riders without this going on within.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:51 am 
125cc

I'm sticking with my full face enduro lid. It saved me a certain broken jaw, smashed teeth and bitten tongue, when I slipped on some slimey concrete on a steep lane in Wales - Speed about 15mph, I was thrown over the bars and landed on my chin.
Case closed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:12 pm 
200 cc

I'll stick with my conventional full face lid but for those than want a different solution, what about something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tuzo-Horizon- ... 8cv6lzoQ0A

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next