TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The quest for the perfect TRF Trail Riding Helmet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:57 pm 
80 cc

I am willing to take the risk and am an open face convert. I`m trying it through this winter but so far this summer it`s been fantastic riding to the trails and even more so on the trails. The full visor gives good wind and rain protection. The peak is good for low sun. I wear tinted Dewalt safety glasses so tend not to use the sun visor buts its there if I need it. I also like the Caberg Hyperx with the removable chin strap.

http://www.spadaclothing.co.uk/productd ... 88%20White

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:13 pm 
650 cc Monster

Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
mike Irving wrote:
for my Tuppence worth…. :roll:

I agree that an Open face helmet may make it easier to communicate but for general trail riding i will continue to wear a full face one. early in my motorcycling career a friend of mine went through a hedge at 30 mph. when i got to him his cheeks were cut right through. ( the least of his problems because he also lost the use of his legs).

Last week though at a horse event i felt that an open face helmet might be more appropriate and i may get one for that. Choaice of helmet should remain personal choice and if anyone asked me for advise i will recommend Full face with a visor not goggles.

As for identity…….i think it would be a good idea to identify ourselves but would stop short of a uniform, except for those occasions when it would be good to be clearly TRF.

I also think that we should have a range of practical equipment, use the advantage of bulk buying and have a cost effective range of good quality kit which makes safety wear cheaper and available for all. So in my view this is a good initiative. :D

Having seen the gear you turn out in mike I think we should have a whip round to smarten you up :lol: :lol: those horsey types must think were a right bunch of vagabonds :o

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:32 pm 
650 cc Monster

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:00 am 
650 cc Monster

You can't communicate with anyone if you have a face full of gravel :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:13 am 
300 cc

mario.costasa wrote:
I know this is difficult but I am now looking for the next Trail riding Helmet

I ave been impressed by the open face trials helmets with flip visors used by my riding buddies on the Coast to Coast.

I am not happy with my full face enduro helmet helmet which was bought for protection and value for money rather than usability.

• I can’t talk to other oncoming trail users
• I can’t see other riders faces to understand what they are saying
• I don’t like the black colour – preferring white.

I progress with my riding and the road risks become more understood - I am willing to sacrifice protection for usability.

My thinking is talking to other users through open face helmets is in certainly during good weather riding and is paramount in sustainable riding.

Keith Dobson who has earlier this year offered me & the TRF thought leadership here and will be writing the Sustainability part of the communications plan & member benefits.

http://trf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=17260&hilit=+communications&sid=3e83d5250bcf3042a0a72c32f587c871

He has proposed in his words;

Givi HPS X.01, my helmet of choice.
Has a peak for shading your eyes when you emerge from the undergrowth into the bright sunlight.
Sun visor.
Face shield.
removeable / Attachable Darth Vader chin piece for long rides to and from the trails.

Attachment:
$_12 (1).JPG

I also like the Hebo Zone 3 that is half the weight and half the price - but misses out on the removable chin piece and sunvisor and integrated bluetooth capability.

Attachment:
mp20IPqtxmYw4-08_K-SWvQ.jpg

Currently I will probably get both the Hebo for summer trail riding riding and the Givi for winter & bike bike trail riding.

Whatever it is I will want to have it TRF liveried to identify myself as a TRF rider.

Any other suggestions before I start shopping?

You not worried about getting whacked in the face by branches in that Hebo? Loads of it around this time of year where I am.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:46 pm 
125cc

mike Irving wrote:
for my Tuppence worth…. :roll:

I agree that an Open face helmet may make it easier to communicate but for general trail riding i will continue to wear a full face one. early in my motorcycling career a friend of mine went through a hedge at 30 mph. when i got to him his cheeks were cut right through. ( the least of his problems because he also lost the use of his legs).

Last week though at a horse event i felt that an open face helmet might be more appropriate and i may get one for that. Choaice of helmet should remain personal choice and if anyone asked me for advise i will recommend Full face with a visor not goggles.

As for identity…….i think it would be a good idea to identify ourselves but would stop short of a uniform, except for those occasions when it would be good to be clearly TRF.

I also think that we should have a range of practical equipment, use the advantage of bulk buying and have a cost effective range of good quality kit which makes safety wear cheaper and available for all. So in my view this is a good initiative. :D

Mike, could i ask why you you would not use goggles?
Gary.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:08 pm 
650 cc Monster

gary martin wrote:
Gary.

personal preference really.

I wear safety glasses and on the lane I ride with the visor up. dropping it only when riding at speed on the road or in rain. With the constantly changing light / shade/sunshine a visor is easier to flip than goggles are , i don't seem to have the same misting problems and i like the feel of the wind on my face.
Visor is easier to clean ( and i notice the ACU is looking to ban rear off's) than goggles. and when its down the wind does not get into your helmet and pressurise as much as with goggles.

in a nutshell i personally don't like them. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:15 pm 
125cc

I like the Draxtar P104, below is a photo of me "modelling" one :lol:
I like the built in ear defenders, and drop down screen, but I find on hotter days I don't like it so much for trail riding, gets a bit hot and sticky

http://www.openfacehelmets.co.uk/Draxta ... 231V6.aspx

currently my preferred open face is the Spada Edge, okay with a pair of goggles, but at speeds above 50 mph if there is head wind it can get under there and pull and be annoying.

http://www.openfacehelmets.co.uk/Spada-Edge_B23I0D.aspx

personally I prefer open face helmets and often wear them, but not so much in group rides, cos I eat a face full of dust too often

http://www.youtube.com/senthx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:53 pm 
650 cc Monster

mike Irving wrote:
gary martin wrote:
Gary.

personal preference really.

I wear safety glasses and on the lane I ride with the visor up. dropping it only when riding at speed on the road or in rain. With the constantly changing light / shade/sunshine a visor is easier to flip than goggles are , i don't seem to have the same misting problems and i like the feel of the wind on my face.
Visor is easier to clean ( and i notice the ACU is looking to ban rear off's) than goggles. and when its down the wind does not get into your helmet and pressurise as much as with goggles.

in a nutshell i personally don't like them. :)

Wot he said plus a flip down sun visor makes one even better.
I find googles restrict my side vision too much and your face will still get cold and wet in the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:07 pm 
200 cc

I hate goggles especially MX style ones; the foam soaks up water like a sponge which causes them to mist up so badly in rain that they are a danger in themselves, I used to carry a spare pair but even they'd mist up in the rain sooner or later. On top of that they're just plain uncomfortable and restrict your field of vision neither of which can be considered conducive to safety

The new style adventure/MX helmets with visors look good to me but I decided to go for a X-Lite X-402 convertible style helmet with a removable chin guard & I find it superb. First time I rode with it on a lane I couldn't believe how much better my field of vision was compared to goggles... a true revelation. It has a full visor in Lexan polycarbonate (riot shield material) so gives excellent protection against the overhanging stuff we come across, if your going to go flat out into a overhanging branch you'll hurt yourself but then there's nothing that will protect you against stupidity :lol:

Attachments:
X-Lite X-402 GT.jpg
X-Lite X-402 GT.jpg [ 50.6 KiB | Viewed 7784 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next