TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Security on the trails
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 pm 

petezed wrote:
As a KTM rider I have no ignition key so I rarely leave the bike out of sight..but it only takes a second to jump on push the magic button and it's gone .I could wire in a hidden switch but that would be something else to go wrong ,so on fuel stops get the bike into top gear before it stops ,switch off fuel tap,fill up go inside to buy pastie and mars bar if scumbag jumps on bike the few seconds longer it takes to get bike off the line might be enough to hit perp with Arai or if he gets away chase until fuel runs out..use Arai (other makes of cosh are available).I could use the steering lock that KTM have thoughtfully fitted but an embarrassing incident involving such a device many years ago (outside college in front of the girls) on my Suzuki 125 -Lot's of rev's first gear drop clutch...you get the picture has put me off using it for ever.

Not going to help if they turn up with van and big KTM would probably pull away in top gear anyway, but every little helps. ;)

I like your thinking, and you could even turn the fuel tap off before you even get into the station, so they don't see you do it as you dismount.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:41 pm 

Richard Simpson wrote:
Cheap alarmed disc lock from Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which).

Fit it so it locks the wheel as soon as the bike moves forward (ie under the caliper on the front wheel).

RiDE are doing Xena disclocks with their subscriptions at the moment. Unfortunately for me, I'm already subscribed.

It looks like I'll be off to Aldi on Thursday - the alarm padlocks are on offer this week :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:14 pm 
50 cc

jonpaul1st wrote:
If I had to leave a bike for a length of time on a trail and was worrying about it being nicked I'd like to have a spare front axle to put in it. Naturally this would be sawn to have about 5-10mm of metal left joining it. Just adequate to get thief up to speed before it snapped.

BTW I've had 3 bikes nicked not that it's affected me or anything

You would probably get sued by the thieving ba#*!rd for injuring him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:01 pm 
300 cc

I use a high security abus padlock thats big enough to go through the disc. Can fit it in your bumbag. Same principle as a disc lock i suppose but stronger. If they want the bike they will just lift it anyway.
Someone speaking to a copper after his house was broken into asked him why people bother locking their doors if the thieves just force entry. He said locks are to stop honest people stealing. Sums it up really.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:33 pm 

I bought the Aldi alarm padlock today, and it's definitely worth the £8 that I paid for it ;) It's not that hefty and the alarm's not that loud (I suspect that it's 110dB at 1 inch), but it's OK as a deterrent.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2