TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: DRZ 400 gearing
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:09 pm 
80 cc

I bought new chain and sprocket set and stuck to the 14/44 set up. It seems just right for what i need i can cruise at 70mph and stick in 2nd and 3rd on the trails. Lets see how quick i can wear this chain out...... :D

Yam PW50 (The peewee)
Chinese mini bike 49cc

Post subject: Re: DRZ 400 gearing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:47 pm 
50 cc

Hi. I've had my DRZ for about six years now and have tried a variety of gear ratios. I see you are in Brighton, which is where I come from. For the chalky lanes in East Sussex I have found 14:48 to be ideal. 0-55mph cruising is comfortable on the road, 2nd is OK for the slow parts of the trails, and first is superb for really tricky bits. The last ratio I used was 14:47, which is standard for the E model, but I found one more tooth on the rear made a significant difference. When I change the rear sprocket next time I will probably try 14:49. By the way, when you change your gearbox sprocket, make sure you do the Loctite fix (see Thumper Talk), it really is essential, even if a little difficult to fathom out how a nut with a lock washer can come loose, but movement of the sprocket on the spline (normal manufacturing tolerances) can wear one of the spacers in the gear box. Check it out.

Do you go to Ashington last Thursday each month? Must make sure we meet up and compare notes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2