TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ttr250 v wr250f/r
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:18 pm 
80 cc

hi again more questions.
reading a few posts on here what do people think of the wr as a bike for a complete newcomer to the lanes. i was thinking along the lines of the ttr but the more the look into them the more i am interested in the wr's.
i have sent off for a few back copies of tbm with a few write ups on these.
I see that the f is more enduro based and the r more trial based but when looking only seem to see the f's for sale.
I see that they need an oil change every 30 miles - is this if there used as a competition bike and are there a lot more costs involved in running an f as opposed to an r.
I dont want to make the mistake of going out and buying my 1st bike and wish i had tried to get something a bit more capable after i have got into using a bike offraod.

sorry for so many questions :oops:

and if theres any one in the south nr portsmouth who has either and is up for a chat and is willing to let me have a look see i would appreciate it very much. 8-)

Post subject: Re: ttr250 v wr250f/r
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:58 pm 
400 cc

Hi RacMan,

Great choices and both are very capable on the trails.
Yamaha's are very well built and very reliable bikes.
I have owned both the TTR250 and the WR250F.

The TTR is a fantastic trail bike and will last longer.
If you want to use the bike to commute to work then deffo the TTR and they are very low maintenance bikes eg oil changes aprox every 1500 miles.
They are a little heavy and dated but still a great choice for a first bike.
A TTR will require a few small mods to get more speed opening it up a bit to breath ie exhaust and air SEE: www.ttr250.com

The WR250F is the better bike if you are not using it on the road much, Enduro bikes are crap on the road.
If you really get into it and decide to go racing then you will be much better off on this bike.
The oil changes do not need to be done every 30 miles for trail use.
Just replace the oil aprox every 500 miles and check the air filter is clean after every ride. You need to check the valve clearences every so often too.

I have also had a WR450F which I would not recommend for a newbe. You just wont learn as quickly on a bigger enduro bike.

The R version looks like it would be an amazing bike for the trails and it is also low maintenance.
If it was me starting out again I would go for this bike after reading all the great reports on it in TBM.
They were expensive brand new and not many second hand at good prices yet but if you kept this bike for a long time it would be worth spending the extra as it will last a long, long time.

The WR250F may at this time be your best option as prices are low and they are such great fun to ride!

You wont go too far wrong with a Yamaha mate.
Good luck with whatever you get and welcome to the club.
Get down to your local TRF meet and have a chat with them too.
http://www.trf.org.uk/groups/group-listing.html
Hope this helps,
:D

www.ManchesterTRF.com
www.FozardProperties.com

Last edited by GFoz on Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:03 pm 

You do not need to change oil every 30miles LOL....Don't know whos told you that. If that were the case you would have to do about 5 oil changes in a day if you came out riding with me :lol:. Someone must be winding you up son :lol: Anyway lets look at the two shall we me old mate.

Yamaha TTR250

Air cooled,4 stroke,4-valve,DOHC,single,Electric start.
Mini-thumper trailie that is as civilised as it is competent. Revvy motor and reasonable spread of power,but metal tank and excess weight a drawback. Watch out for restricted header pipes on later Aussie spec bikes. Big Tank/Big headlighted RAID version more suited to tarmac. Later all-blue plastic tanked (2000-on) model has both kick and electric starters and revised geometry and suspension. Officially imported from 03 onwards. Dependable trailie but little underpowered if you ask me (slow)...Erm not going to set the world on fire so to speak.

Yamaha WR250F

Watercooled,DOHC,5-Valve,249cc,single,K/S and E/S,5-speed 105kg
Without a doubt one of the BEST 250cc thumpers avalible to date. Superb qyuick-revving engine makes more power than some 400s and simply demands to be caned to within an inch of its life. This bike was so good when it was released, that it sent all the other manufacturers scurrying back to their respective drawing boards. All that and a rolling chassis to match. Gained electric start in 2003. Updates in 2005 included a slimmer tank/rad shrouds,a lower seat and 48mm forks plus a flat spot due to the new alloy restrictive exhaust. 2006 bikes came in either enduro spec or homologated road trim. 2007 bikes were completely redesigned with an ally frame and the latest generation motor.Not road legal,despite comprehensive digital display. changes for 08 extended to a different shade of paint on the engine!! 2009 bikes received new graphics..well proven and little goes wrong...The original and IMO still the best.

Oh and if your intrested in a Yamaha WR250f? I am currently selling mine one its a 2004 model...Nice and tidy :P :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:36 pm 
80 cc

thanks for that lads, think i meant 300 miles :oops:
not really looking to use as road bike just to and from lanes - i have a big orange van for work :lol:
it was the blue ttr that i was looking at.

do the wr's come with the magic button ?

bushwacker i will be looking very soon but have to sell my classic car and cant buy anythink till then (though hopefully will be very soon) - whats sort of price is it and where are you based ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:14 pm 

Yeah the Yamaha WR has both electric and kickstart. The pre 2003 ones didn't have the magic button

I want £2100 for mine..its a good en with a nice engine. Oh and I ma in kent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:15 pm 

I may be interested as well, but it depends on when I get the insurance cheque from when my KTM was stolen. Although, if I play my cards right, I may be able to raid the piggy bank.

However, I don't want to muscle in on Racman as he has first dibs!

Any chance of some photos?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:32 pm 
125cc

Sounds like you may have made your mind up but this may be of interest:
http://www.dirtybiking.co.uk/features/features_biketest_ttr250_v_wr250.htm

I am a fan of the TTR as you may guess but I did have a WR250F for a while but it wasn't pleasant to ride any distance on the road, not helped by having only 5 gears which makes gearing for both road and lanes a tad more difficult than on a 6-speeder like the TTR. As we tend to have a fair bit of road work in certain areas to work in the best lanes the WR wasn't ideal.

I also prefer a simple sight glass to check the oil levels and found checking the WR's a bit of a faff. I was only ever really confident I had got the WR's oil levels right after doing an oil change. Everyone else finds it easy enough though so it must be me :roll:

http://ttr250.activeboard.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:05 pm 
80 cc

TTR - a much underated bike in some circles but not so. Reliable and excellent for trial riding and i do miss mine and more than capable to keep pace with anything on the trail. Very use friendly in all areas, just a great bike. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:57 pm 
80 cc

thanks for all your input lads.

womble you fill ya boots m8 i am not in a position as yet.

Thanks for the link brian , i had already found that and your site.
After a bit more consideration and knowing what sort of riding i want to do i will prob go the ttr route(the later blue ones) - but will keep you all posted.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:52 pm 

Womble, hello mare if u pm me you email address I can send you some mate

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next