TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 'Off road' tyres?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:08 pm 
80 cc

Hi all,

Have a Suzuki DRZ400 S. Bought it from new a couple of years ago, with the sole intention of green laning. However, it came with the stock Bridgestone TrailWings tyres fitted and as they are a dual sport tyre, I used the bike as commuter transport for about a year. It is now in hibernation over the winter, but I am desperate to bang some decent tyres on her that are going to be predominantly 'off road' biased but road legal (DOT approved) as I don't have a trailer and will need to ride her to my local track. My trailwings are great for green laning I suppose, but when I get within an inch of real dirt the front end washes out and the rear tyre gets zero traction. Its soooooooo frustrating!! Last weekend I had a day out 'off roading' with TrackSense and for £199 spent the whole day on a Yammy TT250R and had an absolute blast. By the end of the day, I felt two stone lighter and was completely caked in s*it but really enjoyed myself. I realise my DRZ is no TT250R but with decent tyres, I'm convinced I can have a similar blast again! ..... Whad'ya reckon?

Post subject: Re: 'Off road' tyres?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:43 pm 
80 cc

drz 400 is a very good bike iv had the drz400sm on the road and loved it. off road tyres
try continental tkc 80 about 40%road 60% offroad or michelin ac10 very off road tyre i
think off it as a road legal motocross tyre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:08 pm 
650 cc Monster

trelleborg army specials - 60% off road 40% road. Good in snow too!

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:41 pm 
300 cc

I'll swap my ttr for your drz if you like! Try Pirelli MT21s - the trail riders favourite. Plenty of on road grip and competent off road (+ loads better than trail wings or tkc80s).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:17 pm 
80 cc

Pirelli MT21s yer good idea tkc80’s no good in mud clay and ac10’s not much good on corners on the road (tarmac) and wear down quick its like riding on 50p shaped tyres

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:09 pm 

Pirelli MT21s no questions

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:18 pm 
125cc

had a drz ran it on mitas tyre,s ran my xr650r on them as well back and forth to work 40 miles a day fantastisc wear rate swear by them now run both my wrf,s on them , they would be my choice alongside the trelleborg which a lot of lads use. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:24 pm 
On my DRZ I run a a Pirelli MT21 on the front and a Michelin AC10 on the rear... They do me ok both on & of the road :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:55 pm 
50 cc

I Ride a 2006 DRZ400S off-road for a living. Road legal knobblies are always going to be a compromise but The MT21 is a fantastic tyre on and off road and will only clog up in very clay-like mud but will quickly clear out once on slightly harder pack dirt. On the road i have full confidence in scraping the pegs around roundabouts and they are pretty decent in the wet (but a little naughty when brand new). I reckon i get about 2.5 - 3 thousand out of each tyre too, and i don't let them get too badly worn down so you'd probably get more if you were prepared to take them down to the lower limits.

I have had experience of TKC's but found them very twitchy in the wet to the point of spinning the back wheel on some poorly surfaced B roads around the dales.

For trail riding go with the MT's in my opinion, but for anything else (enduro etc...) Carry on looking for something more aggressive 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:27 pm 
80 cc

Well , what can I say...

Thanks for all your replies and friendly advice/comments guys.

It appears the Pirelli MT21's may be the way to go.

Now, onto the next most obvious question... where can I buy a set, and what's the best deal out there..???

Thanks in advance.

MrB

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next