TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: More Peak District Lane Closures?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:23 pm 
650 cc Monster

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/chapelgate-letter.pdf

Proposal for an 18mt Temporary TRO on Chapelgate.
http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/chapelgate

There won't be many lanes left in the Peaks if this continues.

Post subject: Re: More Peak District Lane Closures?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:39 am 
125cc

looking at the state of chaple gate its no wonder its been closed

seems a pity its been put down to off road riding and driving as its obvious if you see it its down to natural erosion

it has also been classed as the toughest green lane in the UK by one of the landrover mags

hope it doesnt end up been closed forever

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:44 pm 
400 cc

Firstly, Chapelgate has not yet been closed. This is a consultation into whether it should be closed.

This is why every single Trail Rider (TRF member or not) should write/Email and object to this propsal

There is a real problem with Chapelgate and that is the ruinous condition of the road on the northern side of the hill but that is a maintenace issue. As has been pointed out already this is primarily caused by water run off and not use.

In any case, this can be repaired (at a cost) but simply closing the route will not in itself achieve this. So the authority are going to have to fix it anyway TROed or not.

In that case they can fix it and then reopen it to vehicles can't they!

Except I doubt that they will. Not for nothing have they cited "conservation of natural beauty and tranquility" in their press release. This is bullsh*t, it is code for "ban vehicles because some other politically well conected users dislike sharing the route".

And don't be missled by the "consultation" either. This is not a consultation it is a statement of intent.

If we don't fight and beat this then kiss goodbye to Long Causeway, Royche Clough, Bull Tor or any other significant lane in this national park. The Yorkshire dales is the model and we know what happened there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:17 pm 
80 cc

Is there a user evidence form for Chaple Gate yet, can pass it on to other users as well. I use it quite regularily. Sent forms in for all the others mentioned.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:13 pm 
200 cc

Silverroop, I don't think this is a User Evidence situation as this is already a BOAT and that's how they can TRO it if they want to.

The way to display usage is to write in to the Peak Park, (follow the links posted by AlanH) and put in a solid rebuttal of the nonsense they spout. I am particularly annoyed that they have posted a photo of a road legal bike and rider doing a completely legal thing ie riding a legal highway and imply that we are at fault.

If they think it's not in good enough condition for vehicles then there is a clear duty to repair and uphold the rights of ALL legal users. I have used this route since the late 70s and the biggest abuse of this route was when they tried to tarmac it. As with many other "repairs" that the council has done to local routes they have destroyed the solid base of the route and put down a shagnasty surface that is useless for the kind of terrain we enjoy. This lets the rain dig great hollows out of it and we get the blame!

If they just slap a TRO on it without going through the full legal process then they have not learnt from the Yorkshire Dales scenario and we should get them into court and nail them for it. IMO that's what the fighting fund is for and we must stop the rot, but let's go through the correct process first. Move quietly but carry a big stick.......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:01 pm 
200 cc

Gents,

Probably best moved to the Members' Area?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:35 am 
400 cc

Yes and no!

Sure we need to discuss tactics in the members area but it is absolutely vital that as many trail riders and green lane drivers as possible see this and act upon it.

Please do not move this thread or abandon it for one that is exclusive to members only. We can just start another one and keep this one running.

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:37 pm 
80 cc

I have now sent my objection in response to the proposed TRO. Dig deep boys as these people have got a vendetta against us and are not going away any time soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:17 pm 
80 cc

I have also been on the BBC website and complained about the biased coverage of this contentious issue. Probably pissing in the wind but what the hell.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:44 am 

I have sent a long email to Mr Rhodes regarding this proposed order..

I am willing to stand up and fight and I am from Kent

Are you?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next