TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Surrey TROs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:49 pm 
125cc

Hello all

Well despite getting 258 objections AND the Council Officials making plainly clear in a report that a TRO was not appropriate in these circumstances - the Councillors are determined to go ahead with TRO. Due to it being advertised incorrectly, they are readvertising it, our objections carry forward, but this gives us a further opportunity to object. They will make their final decision in March. Here are my notes of the Surrey County Council Local Committee which I attended in person with a few others from the Surrey and South London TRF group.

* At the public questions at the start the Chairman said that there would be no questions on the TROs, Bill Barker asked the chair to allow questions on the TROs, in the interests of democracy(!) Chairman confirmed that wasn't allowed. So Mike asked about their vendetta against trail bike riders (without mentioning TROs or BOATs) and when it would end (good on you Mike you were great) and I confirmed that I was not allowed to ask a question despite not knowing that I wouldn't be allowed and that it wasn't written on the agenda.

* Cllr Hope from WHPC was then given time to speak for the TRO. He made two points, that the officer's report was wrong as there has been an accident. And Surrey Council Policy can be modified.

* MS Gutteridge of SCC very briefly summarised her report adding that 8 objections were from the immediate vicinity of the lanes, half from Surrey and the rest from beyond. Hannah said repairs will be started next week and completed in the new year weather permitting. And she said something like someone had 'slipped over' on Silkmore Lane.

* Then Cllr Barker rose. He complained about spending money on repairs for lanes only to be ruined again. That the CC is £2.8 million behind in repairs. That there is another route, Pinkter(?) Lane that people can use instead, I presume a surfaced road, (I thought he was going to argue against himself at this point). Fuller Farm Road the roots have now been exposed. What if someone falls over and hurts themselves? What would the Health and Safety people say? He then personalised things against me in light of my letter to him and all the Councillors, pointing to me, saying how far I had come and saying, why should the view of someone from Brixton count the same as someone who lives locally? I thought this was unfair as I don't have any right to reply. The Chairman then said that the Committee does value the arguments of all members of the public regardless of where distance they come.

* Then Cllr Wicks, Chair of Guildford BC spoke about the 'rise of localism' (I switched off for at this point). She talked about the power to make TROs and how the criteria had been met but of course neglected to mention the S122 duty. She then said perhaps they should hold a public inquiry and that they should have a lawyer there at the March meeting so they can be sure they legally watertight.

* Cllr Barker thanked Cllr Wicks for her support and then he got quite bombastic and on his high horse saying that he would be conciliatory! He said we should look at the state of Fullers Farm Lane immediately before the next meeting, to see if it is still in tip top condition after the repairs, "we'll see" he shrieked, "I MIGHT reconsider if its still in good condition". How grateful we should be!

*They then all voted to continue with the TRO, though I was surprised by just how quiet the murmur of consent was. And that was that.

Attachments:
File comment: Surrey County Council - Guildford Local Committee - 8 December 2010 - Item 7 Proposed TROs on BOATs 538 and 539 West Horsley
2010 12 08 - 538 539 Official's report to SCC Guildford Local Committee.pdf [38.88 KiB]
Downloaded 488 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:50 am 
50 cc

Hi,

I had an email recently..

In accordance with the Local Authorities’ Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations 1996 section 14, Surrey County Council is informing you of the additional notice and statement of reasons in relation to the proposed modifications.

The effect of the proposed Order is to prohibit all motorised vehicles including motorbikes as well as horse drawn carriages over 1500mm (4ft 11ins).

The Modifications include a width restriction enforced by using gates with a 1500mm gap meaning that almost all horse drawn carriages will still be able to use the byways.

If you wish to object formally to all or any part of the modified measures or make any representations, please follow the instructions given in the final paragraph of the notice.

If you have made any formal objections or representations previously to the proposal they will be carried forward.

You may have received this email previously, please refer to the revised orders attached with this email.

Kind regards,

Hannah

Any updates on this? Seems they want to TRO it no matter what then?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:06 pm 
125cc

Klause,

The Councillors are set on a TRO despite the Council Officials advising against. There are no reasonable grounds for the TROs, vested interests, usual story.

The Councillors voted for the TRO again in December, as errors were made in the last Notice, it is being reissued.

We have another window for objections, to 31 January. We are trying to mounting a major campaign again. We got 258 objections last time, and we want to add to that.

PLEASE CAN EVERYONE WRITE TO OBJECT.

FULL DETAILS HERE
http://www.surreytrf.free-forums.org/new-tro-notice-boat-538-and-539-object-now-vt687.html?start=0

Many thanks

Steven

Last edited by StevenT on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:16 am 
50 cc

Will write an objection again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:57 pm 
125cc

Thanks to those who have objected so far. If you haven't please object now!

Just one week to go! Please email hannah.gutteridge@surreycc.gov.uk by 31 January and copy in the following:

Ref DS/HG/3/1/72

Dear Ms Gutteridge

I wish to object to the proposed Traffic Regulation Orders on Byways Open to All Traffic 538 and 539, West Horsley. Surrey CC Countryside Access team have analysed BOAT 538 & 539 and have recommended that the TRO does not meet County Council Policy and the TRO proposals be withdrawn. Surrey CC Countryside Access team have written a detailed report which finds no evidence for the TROs and recommend that other management options should be applied instead of the TRO. Given the overwhelming number of objections received so far I ask that a public inquiry is held.

Yours sincerely
[your name]
[your address]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5