TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Twats on Sandy Lane Frensham Surrey
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:33 am 
80 cc

NKL990 wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
NKL990 wrote:
Rode like twats in your opinion, any evidence to back this up?

I think he used his eyes as evidence :)

Anybody can come on here and say someone rode like a twat, doesn't mean it happened.

There are plenty who do ride in that fashion, if you dont know the people then it is of no concern directly, but we ought to take the op at face value, & if by chance one of us knew the riders just have a word, that is not asking too much, & in fact the op has our ( & his) best interests at heart, trying to work with us.
He obviously recognizes that we try to protect the ability to ride the lanes, & so of all forums, imo, he chose the right one to post on.
If we all just denied it happened without 'proof', ( who carries a camera at the ready to film all the time), people like the op would be better served trying to get the lane closed to vehicles, so asking that we educate the riders concerned, ( if known), is a more than reasonable request. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:56 am 
200 cc

All a bit subjective if you ask me, I've seen plenty of guys riding far too quickly on lanes [in my opinion] but it is only my opinion. You'll never change this by ranting on internet forums, the best thing we as riders can do is to individually ride as responsibly as possible and hope that it all gets balanced out.
And one thing people should really stop doing is apologising on behalf of irresponsible riders. I've seen this so many times and it's absolutely the wrong thing to do. There was a video posted on here recently showing a guy diplomatically dealing with an angry landowner and I cringed when he apologised on behalf of irresponsible riders who had annoyed the lady in question in the past. Why would you do this? We don't apologise to other road users on behalf of drunk or reckless car drivers so why should we apologise about people riding motorcycles badly or illegally. It's nothing to do with us, we're not policemen and it's none of our business. By apologising on their behalf you are accepting a responsibility for them as if they are part of our particular riding fraternity. They're not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:17 pm 
300 cc

The real issue is that it has NOTHING to do with what OUR opinion is on how anyone rides the lanes..

We often miss the point..especially when idiots (trail riders) harp on about being "legally" allowed to ride at 60mph on the lanes..where as in reality it would probably be too fast on any unsurfaced road ...

It is all to do with the "publics" opinion on how trail riders use the lanes...

Often people commenting have not seen any riding at all, and others are also misled, goaded or simply uneducated and think anyone travelling above walking pace is a hooligan...

What we need is a better understanding of what non trail riders "see" and far better communication with other user groups...

I've found that if I ride my bike on my local lanes I dont actually see other users..in the past 5 years Ive seen maybe three walkers and 8 horse riders... and I'm out at least once a week..

Some walkers are fine, have a chat, happy to see you using the lanes etc.. others are surprised when I give them a smile and a good morning etc..

A few horse riders actually say thank you for stopping and engine off to let them pass...

The ONLY issue locally is with a single pair of antis who were gee'd up by a GLEAM advisor in an attempt to get local trail riders into court... they failed three times but got lucky with some 4x4 users who were taking the piss and we didnt find out until after the court case..had we known they would have probably had the charges dropped as well...

It is different in National Parks mainly because of the behind the scences anti organisation with almost every "Friends of.." group having a direct link back to GLEAM/GLPG..

My local Council was basically given a threat by the anti advisor, telling them that if they didnt do what he wanted them to do he would cause them a very large amount in legal fees... he actually recorded the muinets and produced the final copy of the meeting he had with them and included the "threat" in the minutes..

I dont really blame the ROW Manager for bending to their will with the prospect of £100,000's in litigation if he didnt but I am angry with him for not admitting it and then basically lying to compound the issue...

GLEAM/GLPG want to get rid of UCR's and change them all into Restricted Byways..they have been researching and probing for support for years (although my warnings were ignored) and each and every time a trail riders is percived by a member of the public of riding too fast that is compunded by the lies and misrepresentation of GLEAM/GLPG and sets us further along the road to having all our access rights removed.

2005 KTM 525MXC (34,000 miles so far)
2005 KTM 250EXC (11,500 miles so far)
BMW R100 awaiting time to convert to 1980's HPN GS PD Replica.
All useful parts wanted ;)
Need :USD DRZ E front end complete & GS petrol tank.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:08 pm 
125cc

i think you have raised some interesting points. i agree with you that our opinions dont matter, due to the fact the only people who seem to have a view which counts is the antis. this is because they are the ones who complain to the authorities. if you like what you see, you do not say a thing, if you want to distance yourself you do the same in majority of cases, only those who despise what they see complain. this gives them power, as if you say something over and over again it gets taken as the truth wether it is or not. but how to change the perception? antis will always despise, a difficult situation, a charm offensive maybe! or a marketing exercise. wish i had the magic formula but i dont, but needs some kind of co ordinated offensive to offset the antis biased view point.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:01 pm 
650 cc Monster

Sorry to be a fuddy duddy but please could the title of this discussion be changed, perhaps to 'idiots on etc'?

I know that I am no angel and sadly that I too use bad language but there is a time and place and this format is neither in my opinion :!:

Thanks.

Hugh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:58 pm 
650 cc Monster

Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
Hugh Cleary wrote:
Sorry to be a fuddy duddy but please could the title of this discussion be changed, perhaps to 'idiots on etc'?

I know that I am no angel and sadly that I too use bad language but there is a time and place and this format is neither in my opinion :!:

Thanks.

Hugh.

As the first response pointed out :shock:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3