TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bush Farm, Clunton SO 345 806
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:30 pm 
300 cc

I am interested in researching this lane at SO 345 806. It is shown on OS as an ORPA along the whole route but the householder at the western end has put a 'no motorcycles' sign on his gate, quoting an email with Shropshire ROW stating that the middle section of the route is of indeterminate status, thus the route is not a through one.

I would presume the owners of Bush Farm don't want people driving past their very nice house and horse fields and are doing their best to stop this.

I know the issue has been raised at a local LAF by CRAG (not that you would want to take a 4x4 down the route) but I get the feeling that the local ROW officer will not be prepared to undertake any detailed research to prove things one way or the other (especially as their office provided the email to the householder).

so my questions are:
1.where to start if the current def map and statement is incomplete.
2. Has anyone accessed the list of Street for Shropshire? Are there archives of this document available?
3. How or where would I find enclosure records
4. Has any TRF member had previous dealing with this lane?

This will be the first time I have carried out research, any pointers would be gratefully recieved.

Post subject: Re: Bush Farm, Clunton SO 345 806
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:33 pm 
300 cc

Admin:
My apologies, I have inadvertently posted this in the wrong forum can you please move to members area ROW discussion and hide my embarassment!! :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:03 pm 
300 cc

Have you walked or ridden it yourself? The East Midlands TRF organised a run in that area in the late 1980s. According to my map from that time the middle section is shown as a 'path' i.e. black dashed line going past Purslow Wood, is this the lane? Ring me for further info. (number in 'Trail', Peak Group Rep).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 am 
300 cc

steve cartwright wrote:
Have you walked or ridden it yourself? The East Midlands TRF organised a run in that area in the late 1980s. According to my map from that time the middle section is shown as a 'path' i.e. black dashed line going past Purslow Wood, is this the lane? Ring me for further info. (number in 'Trail', Peak Group Rep).

http://www.bdcc.co.uk/XMarksTheSpot.htm ... 3445580676

Hi Steve,
you'll see that this link shows the lane as an ORPA. I made the decsion as any reasonable person would that the public highway is shown north and south of purslow wood and that the ORPA status indicated a public through route.....

Not quite kosher but a reasonable argument I feel.

I have ridden it about half a dozen time over the past couple of years, always getting stuck on the southeastern end.
I have had other contact stating that trials were organised over the lane in the 80's.

to avoid confusion I am trying to get a definitive answer for the missing section.
Thanks for your quick reply, will give you a call.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:55 pm 
300 cc

Now,
I noticed that this issue cropped up at a LAF meeting that CRAG attended.
http://www.bdcc.co.uk/XMarksTheSpot.htm ... 3448180665

SCC were tasked to investigate

My progress so far:
TEL enquiry at Countryside access team: Lane is not on Def map but CRAG was mentioned with glowing references. Need to speak to Development control (highways)

Development control:
AS previously stated either end of the lane has a highway number and is classed as a 'U' with a 60 MPH limit.
West End (Bush Farm) U7726-10
Eastern End U7969-10
THe nice lady confirmed that there was a missing section of unknown status between the listed bits.
Interestingly, a section 56 notice was served on this section some time ago but resource issues meant that the status of this link was never proved historically so they replied that S56 didn't apply as highway status could not be proven in the first place!!! :eek: (priceless) I am guessing that she should not have told me that!!:)
I was then asked if I wanted to drive a 4x4 down the lane as she needed to be very wary of who she was speaking to. :shock: I would not want to take a 4x4 down that lane.

And that is where we are to date. The nice lady gave me my next lead - 1909 finance act plans- public highways have no rateable value so show up on these cadastral surveys. But Shrewsbury Archive office is closed until 8 July:mad:

THe other thing to come out of the discussion was that the list of streets is available for inspection at the SHirehall in shrewsbury in office hours but it is literally just a list....I will go along and have a look at it just for curiosity sake.

Tell you more when I know more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:04 pm 
80 cc

Great work DS650 please keep us posted.

Matt

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]