TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: new member advice needed
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:57 am 
50 cc

hi people new to this site. at moment ive a rsv 1000 road bike but i`m also thinking of getting a trail bike but unsure what to get, im 42 fit and never realy done any off roading so any advice would be good and are there many members from doncaster or near by areas? cheers.....

Post subject: Re: new member advice needed
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:09 pm 
125cc

Welcome to the forum, if you have a look on the 'group' section on the main page you should be able to find a trf group somewhere near you.

Theres so many different bikes out there it all depends on what kind of riding you want to do. I got a drz 400e which is a great bike and i thought was really light compared to my road bike until you spend most of the day picking it up. didnt fall off at all last time i was out though so it was alright :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:54 pm 

Really depends of what you want

Do you want a proper trail bike? or an enduro bike?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:20 pm 
125cc

Classic mistake for a lot of road riders is to think that on the trail you will need cc's. You don't. I did this myself.

I would look to get something with a softer power delivery and fairly light -

TTR250 - Yam if you are only thinking of trail riding, if you are thinking of maybe having a go at an enduro or Hare & Hounds maybe the WR250 - I have only suggested these over the Honda XR's because they have electric start as standard.

Me - I went for the DRZ 400 s - road legal, bullet proof bike but heavy - knackering even if your fit. Kept it for a year then went KTM400 and now KTM 200 (2 stroke) :D

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:38 am 

You can't go wrong with a yamaha wr 250. I think dirtlocer pretty much summed it up! I mean I would always use an enduro bike green laning these days because it gives u the option to event if u want to

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:42 pm 
200 cc

Dirtlover2005 wrote:
KTM400 and now KTM 200 (2 stroke) :D

How do you find the 200 compared with the 400?
I'm thinking of going the same way but never been ridden a 200.

Cheers Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:38 am 

200 much more lively then the 400. Bit all or nothing power though it's either on the power or off it. 400 better trail bike. Much better on the road. I'd have the 400 for green laning and the 200 for competing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:17 am 
125cc

Now, I don't agree with Mr Bushwacker :lol:

The 200 was my first 2 stroke and I love it.

I find its so much lighter and more managable than the 400 - its less tiring to ride.

Yes if you crack the throttle open you'll be off like a scolded cat but I went down one tooth on the rear sprocket and learnt some throttle/clutch control.

Last time out I was riding it like a trials bike in some places and then had bit of a blast in others.

Fantastic bike.

It is each to his own and maybe one day I'll go back to the 400 just for the change but I've had this (04) 200 for over 2 years and I'm not thinking of changing yet.

Have to say that I'm only about 30 minutes from the trails - so road riding isn't too bad - the 400 was a lot nicer on the road.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:00 am 
400 cc

Scapaman, the choices are endless really but I would certainly endorse the TTR250 as a brilliant trail bike which, once "sorted" will offer plenty power and road capabilities as well as being a great bike in the mud, rocks etc. without tiring you out and without the need for constant maintenance.

I am only 30 miles or so north of Doncaster and there are some lanes which are ideal for getting into the hobby around Selby, Sherburn etc.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]