TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: RIP: Mary Collard (Lion Royal, Rhayader)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:13 am 
50 cc

It's with great sadness to say that Mary Collard (proprietor of the Lion Royal Hotel, Rhayader) passed away on Sunday 14th September.

At 82 years of age she was a vocal & stalwart supporter of keeping the green lanes open. She dearly cared for every single biker who stayed at the hotel.

In her day she was quite capable of building a bike from scratch, could strip & rebuild an engine and thought nothing of riding around test tracks at high speed - or across Europe for that matter.

Several experiences of (as she used to put it) "munching on tarmac" might have dented her physically over the years but she remained an enthusiast for all things "bike" and a certified petrol head.

Despite coping with more pain than she would ever really admit to, she always said that if she had to live her time again she would live it just the same.

Her family, vast number of friends far & wide, and the whole of Rhayader will forever hold her dear to their hearts.

Look to the clouds & know that Mary is roaring along on some glorious motorcycle in a place where speed limits don't apply.

Funeral & remembrance details will be posted on http://www.facebook.com/lionroyal when available.

In this time of darkness the hotel is temporarily closed. I am watching over Mary's email and will forward messages to her family.

With saddest regards & fondest memories of my dear friend,
Chris.

Last edited by LionRoyal on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: RIP: Mary Collard (Lion Royal, Rhayader)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:18 am 
400 cc

That is very sad news Chris.
Mary was an absolute legend and a great supporter of motorcycling and motorcyclist's rights. She stood up for us against those that would prefer to see us banished from the lanes of Wales. Although the Lion Royal was a little "tired" in recent years I think it's safe to say that her efforts over many years have resulted in many companies and individuals in Rhayader and the surrounding area benefiting.
I first stayed at the Lion Royal some 20 years ago and have been back many times since. Mary has given me a bollocking, made me laugh, made me mad and nursed my injuries over those years and it's so very sad to hear of her passing. A fantastic lady who crammed more motorcycling achievements into her life than probably all of us put together. She was a true character and genuinely a one off.
Rest in Peace Mary.
Mag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:47 pm 
200 cc

I'm so saddened to hear this news.

Stayed at the Lion Royal for the first time this year with two friends on road bikes and was completely bowled over by Mary. An amazing women with a remarkable character and utterly unique to the point that the very moment you met Mary you knew straight away that you had met someone very special.

I loved the photograph in the hotel of her as a young lady riding a sprint Ariel square four with her face lit up and so alive, it seemed to me to capture the very essence of her. I enjoyed the conversations we had shared about her motorcycling days and how much she cared for all the riders and the lanes she had fought hard to keep open from prejudiced bigots, people who could not live the kind of adventurous life that she had known.

A kind hearted lady who will be sorely missed by all who knew her.

God bless and rest in peace.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:42 pm 
125cc

That's a real shame. I first stayed in the Lion Royal over 20 years ago, what an inspiration Mary was.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:20 pm 
400 cc

I heard the very sad news a couple of days ago,and she truly is a great loss to all that had the pleasure to meet her.
Always a warm welcome at the Lion. and she always made the time to talk to you and offer to dry your mud encrusted clothes in her drying cupboard.
My thoughts are with her immediate family and friends,and hope that they in time continue with the warm hospitality,that Mary gave us over the years.

God bless Mary
Rest in peace.

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:13 pm 
50 cc

Mary's funeral is to be held at Saint Clements Church, Church Street, Rhayader at 2:30pm on Thursday 2nd October.

Family flowers only. Donations payable to "Rhayader Doctors Surgery" can be sent to the Funeral Director at Alma Showroom, East Street, Rhayader, LD6 5DL.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:50 pm 
50 cc

The Lion Royal is being run by Mary's family and will be reopen at the beginning of November 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:05 am 
50 cc

I still miss Mary terribly - despite our age difference she was my best mate. She was was an octogenarian that could make a navvy blush when the mood took her!! :-)

I always helped my friend whenever I could & looked after "all things internet" for her so really want you all to know:

I know many of you were very fond of her. Her family have worked incredibly hard at The Lion & Mary would be so proud.

Generous breakfasts of legend, all the garage & secure parking and PROPER kit drying facilities remain.

Thus far, her families admirable hard work means:
> Brand new bedding throughout with luxury duvets.
> Enhanced in-room beverage facilities.
> Draught lager, bitter & cider on tap.
> Gorgeous log burning stoves installed in the downstairs bars.

The roar of motorbike engines through the Lion's archway is a welcome sound.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:19 am 
400 cc

Great news

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]