TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Herts TRF /N London loan bike
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:27 am 
650 cc Monster

I have been thinking about getting a loan bike based in the Herts area for new members use on TRF rides

Any feelings /views on this

What would the take up be?
Any criteria or conditions?
What bike?
Deposit and insurance?
Charges?

My usual simple prerequisite on a loan is it should come back as it went out;

Clean and damage free
Lubed
Full of fuel

But in reality that doesn't always happen

Discuss......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

Post subject: Re: Herts TRF /N London loan bike
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:14 am 
80 cc

I actually logged on today to see if the TRF did just that.

Obviously I've got a trail bike, and I've got several mates with motorcycle licences that have expressed an interest in trail riding - but don't have the bike to sample it.

Yes there are MX try-out days, but the people who just want to trail ride often don't want to "race" around track - they want to bimble and explore. I know there are a few guided trail rides, but for someone who hasn't tried trail riding, it's difficult to justify the £200 - 400 being asked for before they know if it's for them.

A loan bike, where a rider could be accompanied by a TRF member (or a few) for a couple of hours would be a great introduction. Biggest barrier I'd have though would be the cost of temporary insurance?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:04 pm 
200 cc

Michael Ebbage wrote:
Biggest barrier I'd have though would be the cost of temporary insurance?

Might not cost that much because most insurance policies allow riding other peoples bikes 3rd party only, providing the machine is already insured, so the loan bike could have its own insurance, cheaper by the year.

This could be a worthwhile investment, very likely paid for each year by the membership fees of those who join after a taster ride.

This would not cover someone who does not already have a bike on the road, but it seems likely most potential new members would have a road bike and be thinking about trying out the muddy side.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:13 pm 
650 cc Monster

Could you not set up a deal with a dealer.

If driving lessons are anything to go by with the numbers purchasing the same car they learnt in doe it not go for bikes also. :?:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:09 pm 
80 cc

Devon Pete wrote:
Michael Ebbage wrote:
Biggest barrier I'd have though would be the cost of temporary insurance?

Might not cost that much because most insurance policies allow riding other peoples bikes 3rd party only, providing the machine is already insured, so the loan bike could have its own insurance, cheaper by the year.

This could be a worthwhile investment, very likely paid for each year by the membership fees of those who join after a taster ride.

This would not cover someone who does not already have a bike on the road, but it seems likely most potential new members would have a road bike and be thinking about trying out the muddy side.

I've found that usually applies to people who have insured a bike that's 600cc or bigger - that excludes a very large number of riders.

Additionally, as you say, it doesn't cover people who aren't currently riding at all.

I think if we did have a loan bike, we'd be excluding a big percentage of potential recruits.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:57 am 
I used to run some fleet bikes for any rider and the insurance was around £750 per bike with a large excess.
I've also been involved with some dealer ride outs where potential punters had a loan bike for a couple of hours but signed a contract to pay the first £500 of any damage.

It's potentially a good idea but I'd have thought take up would be small compared to cost.

Another way of doing it would be to set up an insurance policy that covered any rider for any bike and to use what bikes we have. Most of us are willing to let people borrow our bikes for a short go but I'm sure we could expand that.

Maybe something for a dealer to get in to, much like AJP did when launching there products.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:20 am 
80 cc

snaf wrote:
I used to run some fleet bikes for any rider and the insurance was around £750 per bike with a large excess.
I've also been involved with some dealer ride outs where potential punters had a loan bike for a couple of hours but signed a contract to pay the first £500 of any damage.

It's potentially a good idea but I'd have thought take up would be small compared to cost.

Another way of doing it would be to set up an insurance policy that covered any rider for any bike and to use what bikes we have. Most of us are willing to let people borrow our bikes for a short go but I'm sure we could expand that.

Maybe something for a dealer to get in to, much like AJP did when launching there products.

That might be a more practical idea. A TRF insurance policy that could cover a non-member for a day (only when pre-booked to avoid abuse) would probably be the best way of introducing people to trail riding nationally.

I still like the idea of a loan bike, but obviously it's going to be localised and expensive for the amount of use it would get.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:53 pm 
650 cc Monster

I wouldn't go there....

Freestyle used to hire bikes for green lane days but I understand they've stopped this due to the high overheads.

Noobs also break bikes!

Best way to get a free dirtbike for the day is to go to a Honda dealer and book a test ride of a CRF 250 L.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:58 am 

It's worth a discussion I think. On the face of it to me it sounds a great idea.

Overheads can be kept to a minimum if you ask me...

It doesn't have to be the latest bike out...

Even when someone in the group has a problem with there bike and wants to go out for a ride...it could be used for that also a way of bumping up group funds..?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]