TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Herts Weds 13th August 19:30monthly meeting
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:06 pm 
650 cc Monster

Shire Park Social Club Welwyn Garden City Nearest Post Code AL7 1GB next to Tesco HQ on the Shire Industrial Park. 2nd Wednesday each month at 7:30 PM

Admin meeting - Big / Adventure bike focus

Attachment:
KTM_1190AdventureR_2966440b.jpg
KTM_1190AdventureR_2966440b.jpg [ 105.23 KiB | Viewed 2796 times ]

• TRF everywhere – Dealer POS material update
• London Dakar (http://www.londondakar.org.uk)
Saturday September 20th /Sunday 21st September 2014
• Bikefest Stevenage Sunday 17th August
• August /September Rides
• TRF fun days
• Oakridge Lane PI & ROW update
• 10th September Meeting with Graham Field Author of in search of Greener Grass.

Rest of August Rides

Thetford forest ride this coming weekend (16th/17th August). Gerry Alden
Yesterday 4 of us rode around Thetford forest lanes in the torrential rain, wind, sun, repeat.
Parts of the route I had ridden before in the dry, but the weather added some interesting new dimensions (the Sandy rollers turned into continuous bathing opportunities .
Enjoyed it so much i am planning to do it again and lead a ride this coming weekend (and the weather forecast is looking considerably more favourable).
Initial plan is to run this on Saturday, although if the take up is better for the Sunday I could reschedule.
This is not going to be a beginner level ride, mainly due to the loose sandy nature of parts of the route and the reasonable pace that needs to be maintained to complete the route (approx 85 miles) within a reasonable time frame.
To this end a group size of around 6 is ideal.
Meet up is at the Red Lodge cafe for 10am, head off as soon as everyone ready (1030 at latest).
Ride time 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours
There are two main "scheduled" stops; 1 for lunch (no facilities-packed lunch needed) and 1 for fuel (approx 50 miles in), we will probably make additional stops for necessary breaks.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=17225

Thursday 28th Rookery Café Great North Rd, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5SF Nick Gorringe
10.30 Start Will ride the Rawl loop and then for those who want we can ride over to Wheathampstead and Whitwell for a few lanes there. For those who take this option I will not be finishing back at the rookery. As it is mid week please can riders register with me via email as I am away up until the ride.
Nick Gorringe nick.gorringe@me.com 07515506425
Daniel Kohler’s video of the Hunstanton Ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDK3PWeTqkI

September 10th Monthly Meeting
Adventure Bike Rider Graham Field Went To Mongolia!

Optional £5 contribution to Group funds
£15 for non TRF members

With a flippant comment and modest winnings on a TV game show, I seemed to have accidentally committed myself to riding to Mongolia. Under researched but with a strong sense of determination, vague sense of balance and no sense of proportion I set off east bound on a £700 eBay purchased KLR 650 and £5000 winnings to see what would break first, body, budget, or bike. Having made it to my destination I realized the plan had not really been thought through, once you arrive at the centre of a land locked country in the biggest land mass on planet you have to go somewhere else to get back.
The presentation has a brief introduction in the form of how my appearance on Deal or No Deal gave me the obligation and the money to head off, how I prepared, what I learnt and how the experience became a book. I tell how I learnt to avoid the pit falls of the expensive ‘must have’s’ the cost of which can keep you on the road for another week. And with this budget philosophy how without a privileged lifestyle a once in a lifetime overland trip is actually perfectly affordable and feasible without being an endurance test.
After a very brief comfort break (if anybody needs one) I will continue with tales from the trip I took last year (the subject of the second book) on the same bike south to Iraq, east to Azerbaijan and how, with all the experience I had gained I discovered I never stop learning from the road and regardless of desired destination, ultimately the best ride is the one that brings contentment.
After that I’m happy to answer questions for as long at they keep coming.
http://WWW.GRAHAMFIELD.CO.UK
Overland motorcycle travel books, available on Amazon
Riding in the real world, with a small budget, strong desires and infinite dreams.
In Search of Greener Grass-£700 eBay bike 15,000 miles, UK to Mongolia & beyond

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 123.57 KiB | Viewed 2795 times ]

Ureka – Same bike same distance, this time south to Iraq and east to Azerbaijan

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 82.65 KiB | Viewed 2794 times ]

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

Post subject: Re: Herts Weds 13th August 19:30monthly meeting
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:34 pm 
80 cc

Sorry couldn't get to meeting tonight, got stuck at work..... Can anyone fill me in on what missed??
Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]