TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: So what are we going to do about it - Deregulation Bill
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:22 pm 
80 cc

In response to recent publications of the Deregulation Bill contents, I think that we should capture TRF members ideas as to how we should react to it. Let’s then get a whole list of initiatives and vote on what action we should collectively take.

So let me kick it off with my thoughts:

Get a group of up to 3-4 riders with bikes and gear on (so that we stand out) to park themselves somewhere prominent in every town in the UK (there are about 2,000) on a specifically agreed Saturday morning to hand out leaflets and to get names on a petition against withdrawing access to currently legal lanes. This will serve the following purposes:

1. Will show the general public that we are no faceless hooligans and are respectable, articulate, law abiding individuals riding road legal bikes
2. Will potentially attract new members to our respective regions
3. Will get us a list of names of people who support our cause on paper

Do the math, imagine that we only visit 500 towns, we get 40 signatures, that’s 20,000 supporters to our cause for what could be 2 hour’s worth of effort collectively on the day.

Post subject: Re: So what are we going to do about it - Deregulation Bill
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:25 am 
200 cc

Simon,
I suspect in these days when a lot of people are struggling to put food on the table a group of riders stood around a town centre stood next to some aggressive looking dirt bikes bleating about how they can't ride in the countryside won't attract much support . We live in a democracy [sort of] and the best way to get our point across is to lobby MPs and make them accountable for their vote in the deregulation bill. I believe plans are afoot in conjunction with LARA to make a co-ordinated approach to MPs. I will certainly be going to see my MP shortly.
MPs are very accessible nowadays and it's easy to get face time with them. As a group what we need to do is make sure we get more face time than the anti access groups and put our point across.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:27 am 
300 cc

I am more than happy to see my mp, or write letters BUT I need to ask the right questions. That's the sort of information that we need from those who are running the campaign.
You can guarantee that gleam etc are VERY organised. We need to be just as, or even better organised than them.
I keep hearing all the right noises that there is a plan, but we all know how badly we got shafted last time. Why can't we know the plan, even if its via our group reps, not on the forum .If the worst happens this time and we loose the fight then its game over. It doesn't have to be that way but from where I'm sitting, its not looking good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:50 pm 
125cc

I agree completely with slowbobs comments we need to be certain who to contact and what to say/ask because if we do not cross our t's and dot our i's we will not get a second chance.

Small things like I am told objections stating I am a TRF member can be all lumped together so 1000 TRF members may only count as 1 objection but 1000 individuals counts as 1000 objections. not sure this is true or not but could have a profound impact on outcomes, what I am trying to say is that even the small things could make a big difference so we need to be as good as we can ever be, but to do this we will need guidance.

United we have a slim chance divided we is stuffed.

Kind regards

Russell.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:05 pm 
125cc

Can we or have we got motorcycle MC parts and clothing manufacturers on board as the more we lose the more they lose.
Also cant they see what they are doing is self defeating as the more lanes they close the more the ones that are left will get used and become worn which is what they are trying to stop.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:13 pm 
650 cc Monster

For the moment, the best think to do is to make sure that you know who your MP is and how best to contact him/her.

Contact means:

1) The correct email address for constituents

and

2) How to book an appointment for a face-to-face meeting (called a 'surgery')

You can find out these details from you MP's website.

You can find your MP's website via http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

You just need to enter your postcode.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:45 pm 
300 cc

KonG wrote:
Can we or have we got motorcycle MC parts and clothing manufacturers on board as the more we lose the more they lose.
Also cant they see what they are doing is self defeating as the more lanes they close the more the ones that are left will get used and become worn which is what they are trying to stop.

I think that pushing is on to a few lanes will destroy these and then they will have a valid reason to close them. game over!
Can I suggest a e-petition ?
Nev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:44 pm 
80 cc

Combining some of the ideas, we could take a load of signed petitions, or e-petitions and then go a visit our respective MP's with the output, that would carry more weight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:12 am 
125cc

I have emailed my MP regarding this. I've never made contact with an MP before, so let's see if he is vaguely interested.

e-petition - don't bother. We would never get enough interest.

ML

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]