TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New Member...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:43 pm 
50 cc

Hi all,

I'm new to this trail riding lark, did a 1 day taster session up at Trailworld in Markyate on Saturday and I absolutely loved it! I've been riding on the road for 3 or so years but the trail riding i've just done was so much more fun!

so....i'm looking for other like minded folk in or around East/West Sussex (i Live in Eastbourne), also looking to get a cheap CRF230 or a WR250 to get me started - they seem to be the most popular bit of kit for novices, but i'm open to suggestions!

Cheers
Matt

Post subject: Re: New Member...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:13 pm 
400 cc

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I have a CCM 404ds for sale. PM me if you are interested.
Enjoy the trails, your going to love it! :D

www.ManchesterTRF.com
www.FozardProperties.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:15 pm 
650 cc Monster

Hi Matt,

Contact Julian Flack (Sussex TRF rep)

Regular runs out and events in Sussex. Some good lanes too. We're also blessed having the Newhaven - Dieppe crossing to France.

Re: bike choice a 250 will be more agile on the trail and lighter to pick up but it will also be more tiresome on the road.

Some trailer or van there bikes about.

I ride a KTM 690 Enduro which is a hoot on the road and very capable off road too (more capable than me!!).

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:13 pm 
50 cc

Hey guys - thanks for the warm welcome and prompt response!

I'll email Julian, looks like a good place to start.....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:18 pm 
Hey Matt, Welcome

I have been on that course, it is a Blast, Cobby & Baz are bunch of nutters!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:29 am 
650 cc Monster

Welcome

I've just started this lark too (August) and John (Jonpaul1st) is organising monthly midweek runs for us Sussex people (I'm near Battle).
It's great fun and at least gets you out on a bike when you don't want to ruin your road bike in the rubbish weather conditions.

Hope to see you on a bike soon - I have a WR450 as I don't have a trailer and thought a 250 would struggle with the road work. Even then, 50 ish is enough really on knobblies - particularly in the wet :o

David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:58 am 
80 cc

Hi Matt welcome to the group, glad you had fun with Trailworld, its a great way to get into this silly sport that we all love, Aceboys comment was right about the loons that are down there , especially Baz!!!

Have fun hunting for a bike !!

SPG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:33 am 
50 cc

Morning All,

Gransby and Aceboy - yeah they were complete nutters, but had a fair bit of control and they made it look easy! Although they do get it wrong sometimes....one of the guys was riding with his wrist/forearm in plaster after he broke it in a previous ride, he was still hooning along out in front though!
I struggled with the rutts, slight bit of wobble and the front wheel kept jumping out of the the rutt forcing me to crab along sideways and eventually coming off! all good fun :lol:

David (and anyone else!).....i've done a bit of research on which bike to get, and the yam WR's are favourite at the mo (although the KTMs are trying to pull me in that direction!). I've been looking on ebay and biketrader for a WR450 but they seem pretty rare, where did you get yours from? am i looking in the right place? There are plenty of 250's about, and i'm thinking that might be a better bike to start with as not too much power and nice and light for me to keep picking up!

Also....are there any decent bikeshops in sussex that sell all the gear? I've been looking at Groombridges and Gedges but they mostly just do road gear. Is there a good website everyone uses to get kitted out maybe?

Cheers

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:59 am 
650 cc Monster

Day wrote:
Morning All,

Gransby and Aceboy - yeah they were complete nutters, but had a fair bit of control and they made it look easy! Although they do get it wrong sometimes....one of the guys was riding with his wrist/forearm in plaster after he broke it in a previous ride, he was still hooning along out in front though!
I struggled with the rutts, slight bit of wobble and the front wheel kept jumping out of the the rutt forcing me to crab along sideways and eventually coming off! all good fun :lol:

David (and anyone else!).....i've done a bit of research on which bike to get, and the yam WR's are favourite at the mo (although the KTMs are trying to pull me in that direction!). I've been looking on ebay and biketrader for a WR450 but they seem pretty rare, where did you get yours from? am i looking in the right place? There are plenty of 250's about, and i'm thinking that might be a better bike to start with as not too much power and nice and light for me to keep picking up!

Also....are there any decent bikeshops in sussex that sell all the gear? I've been looking at Groombridges and Gedges but they mostly just do road gear. Is there a good website everyone uses to get kitted out maybe?

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt

I might take myself to Trailworld for some training - it looks fun.

I bought my WR privately through Enduro News website and they are as rare as hens teeth at the £2k I had to spend. It looks like £2500 should get something pretty decent. As I also have a KTM 950SM I wanted a KTM 400 or 450 EXC but there was nothing around at my price level but I have no regrets with the WR. I would have looked at 250's if I didn't need to put in the road work but I thought it would need the extra power to make roads tolerable.

Try calling Bortech (near Shoreham) as they have some bikes for sale.
TBM magazine (and website) has a decent for sale list as well and the site is good fun.

Gear is a complete pain and I have resorted to internet buying, mostly successful but some failures as you can't see what your buying.
The local shops are no use really. DestinationMX in Hastings is a bit pricey compared to the others - as I have found out to my cost when I wanted some bits quickly.
I have bought from Dirtbike Xpress; Dirtbikebitz; Get Geared and DK Off Road amongst others. It's a case of trawling through and looking for what is available and who has some deals. I was starting from scratch as all my gear was road based so I've spent another £500 odd on helmet, boots, jacket, trousers, gloves, armour for summer etc.

Bets of luck and give em a shout if you want a chat about getting going - i may be no expert but I have had plenty of recent experience!!

David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:17 pm 
80 cc

Matt have a look at the Enduroland web site they are selling Trailsworlds bikes!!! 250cc to 450 cc.
The "for sale" link is on the left of the page at the top, Say Hi to Bob if you contact him ( Steve Gransby )

SPG

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next