TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why should I join the TRF
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 pm 
80 cc

Hi all
I have recently returned to bikes and having been an active member of the green lane association I thought joining the TRF was the natural thing to do.
BUT...having said that what exactly do I get for my money?
I know a lot of the lanes around my area from previous experience,I'm not a club attending member (shift work) so social nights are mostly of no use to me.
I ride with work colleagues on the same shift system so mostly have riding company.
So not wishing to upset anyone what exactly does one get for the joining fee?

Post subject: Re: Why should I join the TRF
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:30 am 
650 cc Monster

When they start trying to shut 'All them lanes you know round your way' the TRF will be there to fight....like in the Peaks....No Lanes....No Laning...SIMPLES ! Plus,they are a righteous bunch of dudes....Cheers,Joel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:59 am 
200 cc

It is likely that your nearest TRF group will be able to show you some more lanes local to you that you did not know about. Forty years of research means a significant depth of rights of way knowledge is kept within most groups. The TRF is able to advise and provide help for members with legal issues arising on the trails, (providing of course that you are already a member when a legal issue comes along).

If/when you get bored riding your local lanes then you could get in touch with TRF members in another area and request a ride.

This weekend I will be leading some Cornishmen, last week a couple of Welshmen and four Peak district members, two weeks before it was four Surrey members, I could go on but I trust you get the point. I don't charge but there are several people up and down the country offering guided trail riding as a business and they want in excess of the annual TRF membership fee for one days riding.

Many groups hold fundraising days which are excellent value when compared to most enduro practise tracks. My local group offers a discounted entry fee to members and you could save enough to pay for your membership if you go to a few events.

The TRF is what you make of it and a lot more fun is being had out there on the lanes than most people outside of the fellowship will ever realise.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:23 am 
650 cc Monster

No TRF will ultimately probably mean no lanes - simple.
We need everyone we can get to fight the fight.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:29 am 

I do tend treat the TRF membership fee as a donation to teh fighting fund only.

I do not relate it as what do I get back as the only thing really is access to members boards on this forum, group emails, newsletters and rideouts.

It is what makes it expensive and almost unique as a motorcycle group. But then I pay to keep my IAM membership up to date, but get more from the TRF.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:18 pm 
300 cc

Hello murray
As you can see from recent posts we're a friendly bunch :) (although we do air our laundry in public sometimes :oops: ) and like the others have said your (and your mates)membership fee will go towards protecting lanes up and down the country,so when the time comes when you want to travel further just pop on the forum and mention what area you want to visit and i'm sure someone will offer to take you round.and i'm pretty sure you're itching to visit northumberland after the little taster you've had,especially the now famous slaley forest !

mick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:45 pm 
300 cc

Do you work every weekend? If not you might be able to fit some other stuff in. There are also very reasonably priced fun days organised by various groups so you can try out something other than just trail riding. There are also horse events that are different again & you'd get to ride on places that we can no longer use since NERC Act. You might need to make the occasional meeting for that one, just so your face is known a bit. There's 2 other reasons to join. What do you reckon?

Honda CRF250X (2005) gone
KTM 690 Enduro (2010) gone
Yamaha XT 225 Serow (1992) gone
Yamaha XT600E Ethiopia-South Africa-Ethiopia 1995-96, K428OMW- I'll buy it back if it's still out there!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 pm 
650 cc Monster

Here's one that no one's mentioned yet.

Many police etc tend to believe what they are told by landowners, householders etc when it comes to 'motorcyclists riding illegally in the countryside'.

There have been times too numerous to mention when TRF members riding legally in the countryside have been threatened with prosecution, and when the police/CPS have been presented with evidence about the lane in question by the TRF the case has been quietly withdrawn.

Don't think that you won't sometimes get hassled for riding perfectly legally and responsibly. If you do, then you can expect the TRF to weigh in on your behalf. What you pay for a year with the TRF wouldn't even get you through the office door with a lawyer...and the lawyer will know less about RoW law than the TRF do.

So, if you look on it as nothing else, look on it as very cheap legal insurance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:54 am 
650 cc Monster

Richard Simpson wrote:
Here's one that no one's mentioned yet.

Many police etc tend to believe what they are told by landowners, householders etc when it comes to 'motorcyclists riding illegally in the countryside'.

There have been times too numerous to mention when TRF members riding legally in the countryside have been threatened with prosecution, and when the police/CPS have been presented with evidence about the lane in question by the TRF the case has been quietly withdrawn.

Don't think that you won't sometimes get hassled for riding perfectly legally and responsibly. If you do, then you can expect the TRF to weigh in on your behalf. What you pay for a year with the TRF wouldn't even get you through the office door with a lawyer...and the lawyer will know less about RoW law than the TRF do.

So, if you look on it as nothing else, look on it as very cheap legal insurance.

This brings me back to a topic I raised some time ago.
Should each group make a formal relationship with their local county police force?
Not just to become 'friends' but also to educate them about where we can and cannot ride.
As legal riders we should not have the worry of an ill prepared prosecution hanging over us while the rights of a route are argued over - this should be decided right at the beginning before any action is taken.

It is clear from recent discussion with our local police that, even where two of them are bikers, they don't really know where the legal lanes are and where TRO's are implemented.

Sorry for the hijack but I think the case for joining has been well made now.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]