TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Handlebar risers & venhill cables
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:20 pm 
650 cc Monster

I need more height on my Honda CRF230 & CRF250L but he cables are on the point of snagging.

I have already tried rerouting without success.

Has anybody had longer cables made up and how much longer should they be.

I have found Venhill cables and ideally wanted to drop in the bikes for them to do the whole job rather than mess around myself.

Anyone had any experience of lengthening cables?

Regards

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

Post subject: Re: Handlebar risers & venhill cables
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:47 pm 
300 cc

Yes Mario I made my own. Bakers fluid is key to tin the steel core so you can solder the nipples on. You can buy all the parts readily from venhil or any decent classic bike shop. If you want to go up market get your inner from an aircraft part supplier as cable is better quality as loosing your rudder mid air is a bigger problem than a clutch on a trail bike.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:23 pm 
650 cc Monster

akendall1966 wrote:
Yes Mario I made my own. Bakers fluid is key to tin the steel core so you can solder the nipples on. You can buy all the parts readily from venhil or any decent classic bike shop. If you want to go up market get your inner from an aircraft part supplier as cable is better quality as loosing your rudder mid air is a bigger problem than a clutch on a trail bike.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

i stand in your shadow adrian......i can't even make my bike as shiny as Tony's and been riding around with bent knees for the past 5 years coz i cannot work a spanner if my life depended on it...........you get my vote for Technical Director and chief Artificer....as for loosing your rudder......well that only comes second to loosing your mind in Mid air and i definitely have no directional control when i depart company from my bike in mid air... downwards and Hard comes to mind :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm 
125cc

Make sure you splay the ends of the cable out before soldering. This is where the strength is - not in the solder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:31 pm 
200 cc

mario.costasa wrote:
I need more height on my Honda CRF230 & CRF250L but he cables are on the point of snagging.

I have already tried rerouting without success.

Has anybody had longer cables made up and how much longer should they be.

I have found Venhill cables and ideally wanted to drop in the bikes for them to do the whole job rather than mess around myself.

Anyone had any experience of lengthening cables?

Regards

Yes, I had Venhill make me a set of throttle cables for my ktm. I needed them to be 2 inches longer than standard because I have a damper fitted. They made them up and they work perfectly, been on the bike for 4 or 4 years now.
And they were cheaper than standard KTM ones.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:30 pm 
200 cc

Worth getting a spare at the same time and tape it alongside the one you fit so if you get a break in the future it is a quick fix as it is already in place and just needs attaching at each end. Tape up the ends to keep water/crud out

Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid supermotopedracer
1997 Honda XL600V
1962 Vespa VBB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:13 pm 
125cc

We sell Renthal Enduro High bars (used to be called Dakar Highs) - see http://www.totallyttrs.com/#High_bars

They are the tallest of the standard 22mm Renthal bars and also a bit wider than most. I put them on all my bikes and they are a great encouragement to get up on the pegs!

Regarding longer cables, I supplied new standard length cables for the TTR250 and the WR250R to Venhill and they make up sets for us that are an excellent match for the originals.

If you are just going for the higher bars then it usually possible to get away with the standard clutch cable but throttle cables can be too short. They often require turning the throttle upside down to get some free play plus maybe routing the cables differently.

If you fit higher bars and bar risers then you almost certainly will need longer cables.

Brian

http://ttr250.activeboard.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]