TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Please help?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:47 pm 
50 cc

Hello,

I am new to greenlaning and in the process of selling my road bike (Z750) I would like to buy a trail / enduro bike and then join TRF :)

I am 25 & 6ft 3" and have set my mind on a KTM EXC. Can anybody offer any advice on a particular model? I have very limited experience of anything other than smooth tarmac and am after something that I am not going to need to change after I gain some experiance.

This bike will be purely used for greenlaning and not commuting and I have around £2000 to spend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

DanN

Post subject: Re: Please help?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:25 am 
125cc

Hi DanN,

I can only pass on my experience.

Having only been riding a bike for a matter of hours, when I did my test, I bought a KTM400EXC, and have not looked back since. I have found the 400 to be ideal for me, in that I have been able to handle the power, but managed to learn as time has gone on.

The 400 will be less strained on the road, and not too powerful on the Trail.

As no doubt many members will tell you, there are numerous choices available for Trail Bikes, howvere, if you have already decided the KTM's are for you, then I do not think you will go far wrong with a 400.

You shoul be able to find one withon your price range. I have an 04 that I have had since new, which I would guess is worth around the 1800 mark now. It has cost me next to nothing to mainatain, and has never let me down. Regular oil changes and plenty of cleaning a TLC and you will just keep plodding on.

I hope that helps, but see what others reccomend.

Regards

SB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:09 pm 

Hi DanN,
I would think a 400 should be fine too. The 250 is somewhat lighter but at 6' 3" I'm guessing this isn't a big deal for you ;-)
One thing to be aware of when reading the classifieds for a KTM EXC is that KTM use the EXC label for both 2T & 4T models. As you get to know the range better you'll spot which is which. The four strokes are known as EXC-F or even RFS (Racing Four Stroke) but many owners will simply put EXC in their ad. The capacity will usually give the game away (e.g. 200cc and 300cc are examples of the two strokes) but not always (250). If you're after a 4 stroke and go for the 400 it should be easy; there is no 400 2T AFAIK.
I've also heard that the 450 is a very different beast and may be less of a good choice for a beginner than the 400. Perhaps others in the know can comment?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:12 pm 
50 cc

Thanks for your help guys

I was considering buying a exc300 2 stroke and was always convinced that a 400 would be a bit of a handful for first time off road?

I am not entirely set on a KTM. After looking for internet reviews on the CRM250 it seems like the ultimate greenlane machine? I am after a two stroke really, this way I can confidently rebuild it myself at minimal cost as a second hobby. (Sorry I should have mentioned that originally)

I am completely new to this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I guess I will need to spend some money on waterproofs etc... Can anybody help me with gear from the top down?

Thanks

DanN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:55 pm 
80 cc

Dan don't listen to "barrack room lawyers" on this important decision.
Try and get hold of January 2009 issue 161 of TBM magazine.
This copy has a section called "massive dirtbike buyers guide"
It lists every bike you've ever heard of plus a load you haven't, with an indepth write up on each.
KTM 450 EXC is headed up as THE enduro 450. There isn't better in my opinion.
As a newbie to trail riding you may scare yourself on a KTM 300 - 2 stroke

Can I suggest you look at a 250 - 4 stroke. Their less likely to let you down going through a ford.
If you don't want a KTM, the Yamaha WR250 is probably the best alternative.

The CRM is a good machine although its a grey import and they don't make it anymore,
also, its not got an electric starter. The two I've mentioned above have.
When your up to your ears in a bog, getting tired and can't get a good footing, kick starts are a pain.

CLOTHING.
For your own safety - Helmet / Goggles / Body Armour / Knee Armour / MX Boots, are a must.
The rest of your gear is there to keep you warm, dry and fashionable.

A few visits to your local TRF Group will enlighten you.
I'm sure the members will be more than happy to give you their views before you started handing out your hard earned shillings.

Good hunting :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:24 pm 
125cc

DanN

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy an orange one ;) They're just fashion victims :lol:

I think a four stroke 250 is the way to go.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:32 pm 
80 cc

John wrote:
DanN

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy an orange one ;) They're just fashion victims

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John the WR450 is an EXC wanna be and you know it
The Yam 2007 upgrade model is almost an EXC copy but in blue
If yours is a pre 2007 model, get a test ride on an EXC ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:13 am 
125cc

boboxuk wrote:
John wrote:
DanN

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy an orange one ;) They're just fashion victims

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John the WR450 is an EXC wanna be and you know it
The Yam 2007 upgrade model is almost an EXC copy but in blue
If yours is a pre 2007 model, get a test ride on an EXC ;)

Mine is an 07. I've ridden an EXC and I honestly believe my WR is a better bike. An EXC rider rode my WR and thought he would be quicker on a WR than he was on his EXC.

You should bear in mind though that I'm a pretty shi**y rider though so my opinion is probably worth nothing when compared to the likes of David Knight who would never leave KTM :lol:

Before you all start burning my house down with orange petrol bombs please bear in mind I'm only joking (apart from the bit about WR's being better bikes)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:22 am 
400 cc

I have just bought a new ('09) EXC 400 after looking at the Husky 450 and 310, Husaberg 450, KTM 450 and 400 and the WR450 and WR250 and Sherco 4.5i - what you don't want to hear is that the WR450 came a distant bottom in that line up.

;)

I wussed out and bought the EXC400 because the new ones (shorter stroke) rev to the moon and have a fantastic power curve without ripping your arms off :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:44 am 
125cc

Mag wrote:
what you don't want to hear is that the WR450 came a distant bottom in that line up.

You too are entitled to be wrong ;)

Joking aside, why?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next