TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Please help?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:53 pm 
400 cc

Always been a Yamaha fan John but the power delivery on the WR450 is just too abrupt for me, they also seem to make some fairly horrible noises and rattles although this was a mates 2008 bike not a brand spanker.

The Husky (450) I rode very briefly last year and I thought it was nice but a bit odd looking and the Sherco I have been unable to get a ride on - although reports suggest it's really tractable and easy, but I think I'm happier with a carb.

This is my first KTM and so far (30 miles) it seems great - not yet run in though and very, very tall (985mm seat height)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:35 pm 
Dan, I bought a DRZ400s as my first bike, based on several people elling me how bullet proof they are. I have NO regrets with this decesion :) Yes, they are a little heavy, but that is not an issue...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:16 pm 
80 cc

I was in a similar siuation as you a year ago and have tried a few bikes.
The saying "theres no replacement for displacement" is not true when it comes to trail bikes, you will find when riding in groups that the 250s and 450s are about the same off road and more often than not its the 250 riders waiting for the 450 riders to drag there bikes out of the mud.
Also 2 strokes are a lot more powerful than I thought / remembered and if you are going for a stroker is worth looking at a 200 or even a 144 you may be surprised. :o

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:06 pm 
50 cc

Thanks everybody,

I am looking for a two stroke because I consider the rebuilding / maintainance side a second hobby ;)

As I said above, my original idea was to buy an EXC300 but have been advised above that this might be a bit of an animal :twisted:

I am now thinking EXC200 or EXC250 but will consider gas gas, husky etc... if anybody has an opinion? My road bike is going on Sunday so two stroke here I come :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:24 pm 
80 cc

Ive actually got got a 200exc that I use for enduroland practice days.
I find it surprisingly quick despite my size and would recommend it as a first bike.
But dont get too caught up in what make to get as everybody has got an opinion one way or the other on every manufacturer.
I dont kmow what area you are from but you could go along to an enduroland practice day and have a chat with owners of different bikes, most people are happy to tell someone how good they think there bike is, you might even get to sit on a few.
Also last Januarys TBMs got a very good buyers guide, (they dont rate the 200exc though! :o )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:27 pm 
50 cc

boboxuk wrote:
John wrote:
DanN

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy an orange one ;) They're just fashion victims

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John the WR450 is an EXC wanna be and you know it
The Yam 2007 upgrade model is almost an EXC copy but in blue
If yours is a pre 2007 model, get a test ride on an EXC ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that why KTMs still have a steel frames ? & Yamaha have Ali frames :lol:. One day KTM will catch up. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:12 pm 
400 cc

Catch up???? They seem to be well ahead in the various championships!
;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 am 
125cc

Mag wrote:
;)

Red Bull have just got first and second in the Chinese GP. I would respectfully suggest that the KTM you can buy has as many parts in common with the KTM's winning various championships as the Red Bull F1 cars do with a can of Red Bull ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:53 pm 
80 cc

John wrote:
Mag wrote:
;)

Red Bull have just got first and second in the Chinese GP. I would respectfully suggest that the KTM you can buy has as many parts in common with the KTM's winning various championships as the Red Bull F1 cars do with a can of Red Bull ;)

My comparison is from owning and riding both machines

What better comparison can there be 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:10 pm 
400 cc

John wrote:
Mag wrote:
;)

Perhaps so, but they're a lot less like a WR450 ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next