TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Please help?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:33 pm 
80 cc

I agree with John's view on this. The WR250 is a good choice. Too many new trail riders (I've lost count) choose "overpowered" bikes which they struggle to handle and then have to down size months later. New riders need all the help they can get and a bike thats easy to handle and forgiving is the answer, particularly in the early stages.
Barry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:06 am 
80 cc

I would say for the budget of under 2k I would go for a drz400e. its a little lighter than the 's' model and produces a little more power but has no passenger capability so no winkers or mirrors. I started out on one and it went everywhere you wanted without scaring the crap out of you. it was exceptionally good at finding traction where others couldnt- even the odd wr450 :lol:
oil changes every blue moon unlike the ktm's, wr's and dare i say it my current bike.
just add petrol, check the tyre pressures and ride, then cover in wd40 before you put it to bed.
I do know of a tidy ccm404e (drz400e powered)with a 440 bigbore going cheap but it does need a head gasket and for a lot less than 2k

If going for a 2 smoke i'd consider the gasser 300. i believe its not as brutal as the orange one and a 300 will be a little less revvy on the road sections between lanes.
I used to ride a rm250 on a q reg down the lanes. it was fantastic fun until you had to do some road work. I had to ride from 50-60-50-60mph as it didnt like sitting at one speed and there is a danger of a light seize if you do but then this was a mx bike.

As for which is the best laner its down to wether your a setter or a follower :lol:

I myself now ride a v-twin injected '07 Aprilia rxv 450. a fantastic peice of kit and by far the nicest looking bike( well I think so and its not orange :D ). as for reliability no real issues except the odd oil leak which im on top of now and the occasional missfire on one cylinder in water but hey its got another to keep you going until it clears :lol: awsome power but a little brutal on the slow bumpy stuff when finese is required. every time out I have a heart in mouth experience and occasionally a smudge where you dont wont one :oops: but hey I love it.

thats my tupence :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:12 am 
50 cc

Can I offer a slightly different perspective? I came to the TRF and trail riding after 30 years on the road and very little off roading 20 years back. My criteria were for something reliable, light enough to pick up (lots), easy to maintain and capable of being thrown in the back of the garage for weeks on end as trail riding is still not my main biking.

I bought an XR250 due to size, reputation, simplicity (lack of water cooling, screw and locknut tappet adjustment and simple electrics/ lack of battery), low cost/ easy availability of parts and low purchase price (£1100 for a good one). They also bounce incredibly well when you fall off. I looked at CRMs but you pay a lot for an old bike due to reputation and many are thrashed and weary.

My experience is that I was correct in all my assessments and for what I do it suits me fine - it certainly is less the limit of performance than I am. However it is poor on the road (gearing mainly) and the lack of an electric start is more of a pain than I expected. Not a concern on open trails or enduros but most BOATs are full of ruts and 3 foot down a muddy rut is just where you can't get a swing on a kickstart . .

A friend started with an XR then quickly assessed light weight and easy starting were key so got a Gas Gas 300. It's mellow outside the powerband, very light, handles well and easy to work on - just built like a piece of cr*p. But strokers like this are really bad on the road. Other friends have XR250s (similarly good WHEN they start), Husky 450 (great till he looped it and hospitalised himself), XT600 (too heavy so burnt out the clutch in the mud), TTR250 (slow but good) and XL250 (yes 1978 and competent in his hands but age meant continuous little problems and failures)

Based on this experience I'd say go light and easy to start with. I too have seen people start on DRZs and big KTMs and getting intimidated by the size and power off the machine. I have also seen Serows ridden so well as to negate the power disadvatage as they were able to concentrate on the ride not on taming the beast . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:11 pm 
50 cc

Mag wrote:
I have just bought a new ('09) EXC 400 after looking at the Husky 450 and 310, Husaberg 450, KTM 450 and 400 and the WR450 and WR250 and Sherco 4.5i - what you don't want to hear is that the WR450 came a distant bottom in that line up. :)

Where did you hear the WR came a distant bottom ?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:58 pm 
400 cc

In my head!!!!! ;)

It was my assessment of those bikes that I have looked at and ridden before buying my new bike. I'm sure WR450's are great bikes in the hands of someone really good but for me..........no way. Power is too brutal and all that rattling would drive me mad.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:04 pm 
125cc

Mag wrote:
In my head!!!!! ;)

It was my assessment of those bikes that I have looked at and ridden before buying my new bike. I'm sure WR450's are great bikes in the hands of someone really good but for me..........no way. Power is too brutal and all that rattling would drive me mad.

No, no, no, no ;) I'm a complete and utter numpty on a bike but I love my WR :o

I'll admit there's a fair bit of engine noise but my screaming drowns that out. I find power delivery ok.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:50 pm 
50 cc

I have a sherco 450 and its great. Smooth power [fuel injection], great brakes, plush suspension. Uses too much juice though. To be honest you dont realy need a 450 for green laning. A 250 is plenty. Wouldnt give up the sherco though. Im 6.1 and sugest you fit bar risers, it makes a big diference for taller riders.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3